BM 2001 movie playing in SF - Sept 12-26

Get in touch with other Burners in your area.

BM 2001 movie playing in SF - Sept 12-26

Postby Tristan » Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:04 pm

"confessions of a Image" is playing at the Action theater (Metreon Center) Sept 12-26 (starts this Friday).

This movie was apparently shot at BM 2001.

For details check http://www.burningmanconfessions.com

There's a cool trailer on the website.

There's a full-page ad page 92 of this week's Guardian.

Has anyone seen this movie ?
Tristan

Postby bradtem » Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:59 pm

It's a good movie, quite well shot.

Plus, if you go, my photographs of BM 2002 will be on display on the walls, this time without needing playa-dust encrusted vinyl over them.
bradtem

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Tristan » Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:40 am

I saw the movie and did not like it at all.

It's mostly interviews of people, about how they felt about the event. Not knowing those people, I don't really care much about how they felt, since everyone has very different feelings at theirt first BM, and listening to them was just plain boring to me. More than one hour of people talking, less than 15 min of really cool BM footage. I will not recommend this film to my friends.

It's not a documentary about BM, it's a documentary about a group a people who went there for the first time. For some reason I did not connect in any way with any of those people (except the taxi driver, maybe). Not at all what I was expecting. To me, it's a missed opportunity. Lots of efforts and a very disapointing result.
Tristan

I saw it too

Postby jeannius » Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:19 pm

I had mixed feelings about it. I thought the footage of burning man as an event was ok. There is no way to capture the enormity of the event, so I can't complain about that.

I did feel that this documentary could have been filmed against ANY backdrop, it was really a story about these 4 people. I felt like I was watching "The Real World-Burning Man!"

I was also really surprised to see them leave the Playa to make PHONE calls in Gerlach...Wow. That was lame. If you had never been to BM you would get the impression that there are pay phones and a general store there.

However, the fliming was interesting, the director was a really cool guy, so I don't want to slag him. He did an OK job, but BM is just not something to make movies about. I think the "Pack it in, Pack it out" can also apply to films. Let's not try to take BM off the playa...

Any other thoughts from others who saw it?
jeannius

Postby glam_daddy » Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:05 pm

I saw it and thought for the most part it was good. I think instead of looking at the movie as a documentation of burning man you should look at it as a documentation of these 4 people and the experience they had. there were a few great moments. great playa moments. I thought it did a decent job at the impossible task that is explaining burning man.

7 out of 10
glam_daddy

Postby Angry Butterfly » Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:42 pm

Hmmm, I wonder if it was the same people who were in my camp making a doc, I know they staged a bunch of it and it sorta pissed me off. If you are gonna make a doc, make a doc, if you are gonna make a movie where u stage stuff, it's not a doc. Don't call it one. I want to see the doc where the guys filmed me singing Queen at a fire conclave meeting, even if they didnt use the stuff they got of me they acted a lot more like they were filming a documentary than the kids in my camp. One of the girls in the group I was with was all like "I need to take a shower with this other girl for the film!" She wasn't even dirty! They just wanted a "hot girl on girl shower scene" for the movie. ANNOYING. I want to see it if it is a real doc, if it isn't I'll pass!
I took the road less traveled, and now I would like to go back and find the paved one.
Angry Butterfly

Return to Regionals & Events