Ticket Panic Schadenfreude

All things outside of Burning Man.

Ticket Panic Schadenfreude

Postby 1durphul » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:57 pm

I'm posting this in here so that the too-late-for-step sellers, and those with a handful of tickets due to their own shenanigans in the lottery won't see this thread and think I'm just trolling. (Because I'm not.)

As somebody who normally puts in to buy two tickets (to offer to somebody in need usually at a deep discount), but decided due to the scarcity problem to do the right thing and only buy 1 ticket in the lottery. And as somebody who didn't get that one ticket in the lottery. And furthermore as somebody who didn't sign up for step within the 10 minute window it was open, and therefore was excluded...

I gotta say, I'm having some Schadenfreude over the last minute scramble of people who bought non-refundable, non-transferable STEP tickets when they weren't 100% sure they were going, and then failed to read the disclaimers and know the dates they could sell by. (I feel honestly bad for those that can't go due to last minute real world shit and now have to eat that cost.)

I'm feeling double the Schadenfreude (Verdoppelnschadenfreude if I may) for people who had extra lottery tickets they never had another person in mind for and held onto them up until the last two weeks and are now having trouble selling them in a suddenly flooded market of like minded sellers.

So many camps that I personally loved won't be showing up on the playa this year because they weren't able to get tickets months ago and now it is too late to make proper plans for a proper theme camp. Bad Idea Theater being my favorite no-show listing a lack of tickets as their main reason. If people had just signed up in the lottery for the number of tickets they needed, rather than trying to game the system, then perhaps there would have been enough tickets to go around.

Truly I believe STEP is a good system. I suspect next year ALL tickets will be sold through STEP. And that they'll make a few changes, maybe allow it to switch to will-call only after the first week of August. Maybe they'll enable sellers to set a "lower than face value" price in order to increase the chances of a ticket selling. And I also believe that the majority of people experiencing STEP pains are people who didn't bother reading the fine print, or just didn't take a moment to consider the ramifications of the words "non-refundable" and "non-transferable". So hopefully they'll make those words red, and blinking, and underlined with exclamation points, and a 20 second delay before the "accept" button appears with the message "contemplate the meaning of the words Non-refundable and non-transferable for the next 20 seconds."

Anyway, as I said, I'm not trolling. Just... well... enjoying watching those who did their part to make the scarcity worse get some discomfort. I spent months fretting over whether or not I'd get any ticket at all. (Thanks to a friend who bought in lottery and can't go I did get one.)
1durphul

Re: Ticket Panic Schadenfreude

Postby psylentlarry » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:34 am

I'm with you on some of your feelings about the ticket debacle, and it's always a warm fuzzy to get listed as someone's favorite camp (or even favorite no-show), but I'll open my yapper again to clarify that the ticket situation was not the major reason for Bad Idea Theater to give 2012 a miss. Yes, the core members did not get tickets in the lottery, but we assumed we could come up with them and indeed later had several kind offers come our way.

Mostly, BIT was already on the rocks when the ticket situation went crazy, so we're not blaming that. We had various cast dramas and such, and a break just seemed to be in the cards for us. Hopefully next year will come together. And hopefully some genius will figure out how to fix the ticket situation. Just glad that's not my job.

In more funner news, we will set up Bad Idea Theater "Lite" for two or three nights at San Diego Decom http://www.sdyoutopia.com/, October 18-21. So, come get your fix of craptacular WTF movies. BYOB, most likely.
Larry
http://www.badideatheater.com/
"To Serve and Project"
psylentlarry

Burning Since: 1995
Camp Name: Bad Idea Theater

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:51 am

I love you guys. Even as an amputee...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby 1durphul » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:20 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I love you guys. Even as an amputee...

They should build you an amputheater.
1durphul

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:31 pm

Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Jackass » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:50 pm

1durphul wrote:I'm posting this in here so that the too-late-for-step sellers, and those with a handful of tickets due to their own shenanigans in the lottery won't see this thread and think I'm just trolling. (Because I'm not.)

As somebody who normally puts in to buy two tickets (to offer to somebody in need usually at a deep discount), but decided due to the scarcity problem to do the right thing and only buy 1 ticket in the lottery. And as somebody who didn't get that one ticket in the lottery. And furthermore as somebody who didn't sign up for step within the 10 minute window it was open, and therefore was excluded...

I gotta say, I'm having some Schadenfreude over the last minute scramble of people who bought non-refundable, non-transferable STEP tickets when they weren't 100% sure they were going, and then failed to read the disclaimers and know the dates they could sell by. (I feel honestly bad for those that can't go due to last minute real world shit and now have to eat that cost.)

I'm feeling double the Schadenfreude (Verdoppelnschadenfreude if I may) for people who had extra lottery tickets they never had another person in mind for and held onto them up until the last two weeks and are now having trouble selling them in a suddenly flooded market of like minded sellers.

So many camps that I personally loved won't be showing up on the playa this year because they weren't able to get tickets months ago and now it is too late to make proper plans for a proper theme camp. Bad Idea Theater being my favorite no-show listing a lack of tickets as their main reason. If people had just signed up in the lottery for the number of tickets they needed, rather than trying to game the system, then perhaps there would have been enough tickets to go around.

Truly I believe STEP is a good system. I suspect next year ALL tickets will be sold through STEP. And that they'll make a few changes, maybe allow it to switch to will-call only after the first week of August. Maybe they'll enable sellers to set a "lower than face value" price in order to increase the chances of a ticket selling. And I also believe that the majority of people experiencing STEP pains are people who didn't bother reading the fine print, or just didn't take a moment to consider the ramifications of the words "non-refundable" and "non-transferable". So hopefully they'll make those words red, and blinking, and underlined with exclamation points, and a 20 second delay before the "accept" button appears with the message "contemplate the meaning of the words Non-refundable and non-transferable for the next 20 seconds."

Anyway, as I said, I'm not trolling. Just... well... enjoying watching those who did their part to make the scarcity worse get some discomfort. I spent months fretting over whether or not I'd get any ticket at all. (Thanks to a friend who bought in lottery and can't go I did get one.)

Well put, I am/ was in the same boat as you. Now I kinda enjoying the fact that the greedy ones get to eat some humble pie, best served cold...
Don't worry, it'll get weird...
Jackass

Postby 1durphul » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:10 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Here's my latest Schadenfreude...

Gosh, who could have predicted that Pincus would be a con-man.... :lol:

Oh wait, everybody ever....

:roll:
1durphul

Postby 1durphul » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:10 am

edit: duplicate post truffle shuffle.

1durphul

Return to Open Discussion