Tutu's

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Re: Tutu's

Postby JesseGrrl2009 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:23 am

AntiM wrote:
lazerfox wrote:what would you consider fancy??

I'm betting a dance crinoline with the layers of ruffles and flounces.

I made a loop tutu, and I swear, I hate it. When I took it out of the bin in the desert, it was full of static and clung to me, clung to my head, to my arms. I was trying to pry the damn thing loose, but each time I'd peel off one batch of tulle, another would latch on. I ended up wearing it on my head. ARGH.

So AntiM do you think if I put a large piece of tulle over the top, to hold down the looped layers, that it would help? I was thinking that doing that might help to keep it from blowing up and sticking...
"Now go make art, eat, drink, learn, discuss, study, read, absorb art daily. You are an artist. The commercially make a living part comes later, if ever, but never doubt: you ARE an Artist." - AntiM

)'( 2013 )'(
JesseGrrl2009

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Ratty » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:44 am

All of my tutus are made on belts. NO sewing. Start with a comfortable belt that is a tad large. You may want to wear it over bulky clothes or low on your hips. You can use anything that has holes or that you can make holes. Virtualy any material can make a tutu. Tule, netting, sheer curtains, any cloth or plastic. It's entirely up to you. I made a exceptional one out of FEDEX tyvek envelopes last year. I made one out of an old silk plant. I strung strips of velvet on a belt and attached the big fake leaves with brads from the office supply store. Tarzan style. Tutus have no limits.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG
Ratty

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Sporks are For Pussys

Postby lazerfox » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:22 pm

that is incredibly creative Ratty!! Love it. And it probably cuts down on the amount of static discussed previously.
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister
lazerfox

Re: Tutus

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:12 pm

The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Ratty » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:02 pm

I wanna see the video. When I click on it...."This video is private". I LOVE tutus.
Ratty

Postby FeetOfClay » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:13 pm

as far as tutus and various skirts go, never underestimate the power of safety pins:

you can buy a short, ruffly skirt that you like at the thrift store, and then take all your fabric scraps, strips of tulle, etc,
and just start safety-pinning pieces on. this lets u build organically: make it fuller in back for a bustle look? or pack the sides with bunched material for a wide, marie antoinette kinda thing?

my other favorite tip?
buy 2 little girls tutus (often available on clearance after halloween), cut a straight line up the back on each one, and sew together. now that Monster High is popular for kids, i got two hot-topic/tripp looking M.H. girls' tutus for $5 a piece after halloween, and will sew them together to make one tutu for the playa for about 1/10th of what i'd pay for a store-bought adult/fetish tutu.

should i be disturbed that i can find sexy playa wear in the kids' section? :)
What is this quintessence of dust?
FeetOfClay

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:18 pm

Look, Aberchrombie and Fitch was selling underwear for seven year olds that has some ridiculous sex slogan on them. Face it, the perverts have fallen behind the marketeers.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Ratty » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:21 pm

Feet , I LOVE the safety pin idea. I embellished a jacket today and opted for safety pins holding on some of the patches. And I'm a seamstress. I make tons of tutus but this is a new idea to me and I can't wait to try it. The dollar stores have great bargains on cheap safety pins. Thank you!!
Ratty

Postby Katiekaboom » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:29 pm

I just bought tutus from Sisters Of The Moon. Love them!
There was no night or day,
But occasional darkness
~KK
Katiekaboom

Burning Since: 2012

Previous

Return to Clothing & Playawear