Rope rated to 225lbs good enough?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Rope rated to 225lbs good enough?

Postby Schtev » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:37 am

I'm just wondering if rope from Home Depot rated to around 225 pounds would be sufficient to tie down an a-frame heavy duty tarp peaking around 5'2"? I can't get 550 paracord, and the only place willing to give me used climbing rope gave me rope that's an inch thick (can't hold adjustable hitches worth shit).
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."
Schtev

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Fuckowee

Re: Rope rated to 225lbs good enough?

Postby Homiesinheaven » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:15 am

it all depends on where your tarp is placed. do you have vehicles or anything around you that can block the wind? is it just sitting in an open area? this stuff is the shit for guylines:

http://www.samsonrope.com/index.cfm?rope=192

i found it for .45 cents a foot for the 1/8 inch diameter. check out the strength. 8)
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Schtev » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:33 am

Homiesinheaven wrote:it all depends on where your tarp is placed. do you have vehicles or anything around you that can block the wind? is it just sitting in an open area? this stuff is the shit for guylines:

i found it for .45 cents a foot for the 1/8 inch diameter. check out the strength. 8)

God damn! Time to hit my local marine shop. Thanks! =)
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."
Schtev

Postby DoctorIknow » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:12 pm

The 225 pound "diamond braid poly rope" is everywhere,,,,cheapest at Harbor Freight, more at Home Depot/Lowes, outrageous at Ace.
All the same stuff. Get the 100' bundles.

I've used 8 25' pieces as guy ropes for a very heavy shade structure for 12 years.
DoctorIknow

Postby Schtev » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:20 pm

steve.t.sullivan wrote:
Homiesinheaven wrote:it all depends on where your tarp is placed. do you have vehicles or anything around you that can block the wind? is it just sitting in an open area? this stuff is the shit for guylines:

God damn! Time to hit my local marine shop. Thanks! =)

I just got 50' of rope that breaks at 1,600lbs, yet is only 7/64", for $15. Fuck. Yes.
Schtev

Postby otakup0pe » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:28 pm

Ugh. Marine shop would have made sense. The 1200lb rope I have is damn near 3/4" thick.
otakup0pe

Postby Schtev » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:30 pm

otakup0pe wrote:Ugh. Marine shop would have made sense. The 1200lb rope I have is damn near 3/4" thick.

Yeah. You'd be hard pressed to find rope stronger than sailing rope.
Schtev

Postby DoctorIknow » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:06 pm

steve.t.sullivan wrote:
otakup0pe wrote:Ugh. Marine shop would have made sense. The 1200lb rope I have is damn near 3/4" thick.

Yeah. You'd be hard pressed to find rope stronger than sailing rope.

Amsteel rope/line, marine use and on winches attached to 4x4's.

The 1/8 ropes are test rated for a minimum of 2500 lbs. (Yeah, more than a ton on 1/8 line.)
The 5/16 ropes are test rated for a minimum of 12,330 lbs.
The 3/8 ropes are test rated for a minimum of 18,4000 lbs.
DoctorIknow

Postby Schtev » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:11 pm

Unfortunately it seems my enthusiasm was premature. I'm going to have to go on record as saying that Amsteel rope was a bad idea. Its slippery stuff and can't hold a taut-line hitch worth shit.
Schtev

Postby Schtev » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:12 pm

Have you actually used this rope yourself? Did you use any adjustable hitch knots?
Schtev

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:47 pm

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby DoctorIknow » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:51 pm

Yeah, that's the stuff. $9 at Harbor Freight

Same exact rope, different label, $14 at Orchard Supply Hardware
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DoctorIknow

Postby Schtev » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:31 pm

DoctorIknow wrote:

Yeah, that's the stuff. $9 at Harbor Freight

Same exact rope, different label, $14 at Orchard Supply Hardware

I'm gonna go back to the place where I got the Amsteel and get 50' of 1/4" nylon rope. Strong as shit, good price, will hold knots better than the slippery stuff.
Schtev

Postby Homiesinheaven » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:16 pm

steve.t.sullivan wrote:

Have you actually used this rope yourself? Did you use any adjustable hitch knots?

yeah, i tried two half hitches and they dont slip at all. i used these pervos as reference:

http://suspendedanimationcrew.com/burni ... amp_Up.pdf

they quite literally get off on ropes and knots so i trust them. :wink:
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby maryanimal » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:41 pm

So, what is the best type of knot to tie when using rebar to keep your carport from blowing away?
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Schtev » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:43 am

Homiesinheaven wrote:
steve.t.sullivan wrote:

yeah, i tried two half hitches and they dont slip at all. i used these pervos as reference:

http://suspendedanimationcrew.com/burni ... amp_Up.pdf

they quite literally get off on ropes and knots so i trust them. :wink:

Hmm. Well I found that it sucks at holding an adjustable midshipman's hitch. But it ain't budging if I try two half hitches. I guess I don't HAVE to use adjustable knots to tension things up. Maybe I could just use clove hitches during the initial adjustment phase and then lock it down with a round turn and two half hitches when I'm satisfied.
Schtev

Return to Shelter & Camping