UHAUL - gps rumors? contract rumors?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

UHAUL - gps rumors? contract rumors?

Postby Ever » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:37 pm

I've come across a few stories recently, but not-sure-if rumors. Does anyone have first-hand experience with this?

-Everyone's UHAUL reservations being auto-cancelled the dates of the burn. Sounds exaggerated, but I saw two regarding this so far from 2012

-GPS in cars/trucks

-Sign a wavier that you won't go to Nevada / BM

-Experience with returning a car/truck to uHaul after BM and whether or not you received a fee?

TYVM
Ever

Burning Since: 2003

Re: UHAUL - gps rumors? contract rumors?

Postby motskyroonmatick » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:08 pm

Uhaul rents cars? WTF!
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Trishntek » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:28 pm

One of our camp mates got his van rental cancelled when he called to confirm about a month ago. Fortunately, he had also booked with Budget. But yes, his notification via email made mention of GPS tracking and the threat of retrieving the vehicle and leaving you without wheels.

The notification explicitly warns the lessee against using the vehicle for Burning Man and threatens repossession and loss of deposit. It also expressed the likelihood to a $1000 surcharge for cleaning.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Ever » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:37 pm

Interesting, thanks for sharing this story.

I received my confirmation emails and didn't see anything about this. Hrmmm :shock:
Ever

Postby Trishntek » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:56 am

I'm going with a local construction equipment rental company this year. They charge 30% less than Uhaul and they kinda expect their stuff to be returned dirty.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:11 am

It still amazes me that after all the info that is out there.. that anyone still attempts to rent from Uhaul.

..and a 6 year eplaya veteran no less.. :roll:

YES the cancel contracts.. YES they will charge you monstrous cleaning fees if you manage to sneak one by them.. YES their equipment sucks.. It's all over the interwebz and eplaya! I myself have firsthand experience!

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RENT FROM UHAUL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Schtev » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:07 am

Can't say I blame them, really. The Playa can really fuck a vehicle up.
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."
Schtev

Camp Name: Camp Fuckowee

Postby Ever » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:22 am

[quote="junglesmacks"]It still amazes me that after all the info that is out there.. that anyone still attempts to rent from Uhaul.

..and a 6 year eplaya veteran no less.. :roll:

YES the cancel contracts.. YES they will charge you monstrous cleaning fees if you manage to sneak one by them.. YES their equipment sucks.. It's all over the interwebz and eplaya! I myself have firsthand experience!

[size=200]DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RENT FROM UHAUL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES[/size][/quote]

9 year vet ;)

Never hurts to ask. "BurningMan uhaul" in Google yielded less concrete results than you'd think.

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep looking for other options.
Ever

Postby captain mcguiver » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:37 pm

steve.t.sullivan wrote:Can't say I blame them, really. The Playa can really fuck a vehicle up.

Oh so you can't blame them for allowing someone to have a reservation, and at the last minute screwing them over without a warning and cancelling it?

No, that's wrong, and it screws people's burns. They should be up front about it if they are going to do it. I will NEVER rent from UHAUL
on or OFF the Playa because of being douchebags like this. Defending them makes you look like one too.

Oh Whaaaaa... my truck is gonna get dirty. Maybe you shouldn't be in the rental business then. Construction sites get dirty too. It's called
a truck wash derp. I will always rent from Budget because they aren't pricks.

Please go rent from Uhaul if "you don't blame them" so much.
captain mcguiver

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: XaraLustmonkeysPlayaQBatCntryBunyMethLab

Postby captain mcguiver » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:17 pm

Look who got their panties in a bunch. Oh crap it was me.

Sorry for getting personal there Steve, I meant the venom for Uhaul, it just pisses me off when corporations act like jerks.
captain mcguiver

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: XaraLustmonkeysPlayaQBatCntryBunyMethLab

Postby Schtev » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:04 pm

captain mcguiver wrote:Look who got their panties in a bunch. Oh crap it was me.

Sorry for getting personal there Steve, I meant the venom for Uhaul, it just pisses me off when corporations act like jerks.

No biggie. I think they're right to refuse Burners, but you're absolutely right that they should be very up front about that.
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."
Schtev

Camp Name: Camp Fuckowee

Return to Transportation