A bike on the playa?

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

A bike on the playa?

Postby mrjiv » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:36 pm

Hi,

I am flying in from India for the burn and am super excited to come in. I have been trying to find a bike online to rent on the playa but am finding all the rental sites seem to be out of them. What is my best bet to get a bike on the playa directly. I can buy or rent, but will not be able to take one with me.

Please help someone who is coming from literally the furthest place on the planet from BRC!

Tushar
mrjiv

Burning Since: 2012

Re: A bike on the playa?

Postby gyre » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:45 pm

You might find someone leaving early.
It happens.

Sometimes people have extras.
Ask around.
Elliot is bringing some maybe.

Or buy one at walmart, etc.
Hard if you get into reno too late.

There are a couple of places in reno selling used ones.
Phil's posts cover this I think.
Take a lock.

Sometimes there are bikes along the road, but they are high or go fast.
gyre

Postby Canoe » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:28 pm

If you're flying in, you'll need to get some supplies. Trader Joe's or Whole Foods are the most likely spots for your food needs, but if you get up to KeyStone Savemart, they usually have a few used bikes for sale from the Kiwanis Bike Program (sold eparate from that - sold out - reserved program). May or may not be sold out. You may or may not have room for a bike with your transportation from Reno to BRC.

When you go through, there may still be used bikes for sale in Gerlach and you go through to the Playa. If they're available, and a price you'll pay, and you've space, and traffic allows you to stop safely and without tying up traffic.

As noted, you need a bike lock,
and a bike light.
Odd. No bears to watch in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby BBadger » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:01 am

Maybe buy one of those bikes that are sold on the side of the road while on the way in? They were there last year.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Canoe » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:32 am

Anyone recall the price of those road-side bikes?
Odd. No bears to watch in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby dragonpilot » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:03 pm

Canoe wrote:Anyone recall the price of those road-side bikes?

Around $20-$50
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Return to 2012 Share Resources