I hope Larry H. gets massively rich.

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

I hope Larry H. gets massively rich.

Postby SED » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:40 pm

Let him rake it in, I say. I've had the time of life at each of the three burns I've been to and felt the ticket price was a total non-issue. In fact, keeping the price up has some invisible benefits, namely, very few indigents show up, so the mooching and leaching stays low-scale.

It's kind of like why the actual burn is so fucking hot. They don't need to make it that hot, but it keeps folks back until the frenzy dies down.

Anyone who can even make a living promoting art and fun and can go as big they want, for all I care.
It ain't the hanging, it's the drop.
SED

Postby alice » Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:02 pm

got a point there.

the man does know how to throw one hell of a party.
bitch all you want - it won't change nothin.
alice

Postby actiongrl » Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:52 pm

Send small, unmarked bills to me at the Burning Man office and I'll be sure to pay my ren...er, pass them on to Larry. :P
actiongrl

Postby SED » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:16 am

alice wrote:got a point there.

the man does know how to throw one hell of a party.

And that's another thing. This is supposed to be a giant party. Is what Larry and co. does anything more than a glorified beer run?

Okay, it's more than that.

Still, some folks need to lighten up.
SED

Postby alice » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:41 am

it's not just a party.

or the only party.

but it sure is fun.
bitch all you want - it won't change nothin.
alice

Postby Sylvia » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:44 am

Yeah. Waaaaay fun. A lot of work and planning that I'm glad I don't have to do, cuz it wouldn't get done.

Sorry to confuse anyone--I also post as SED and I forgot to sign back in.
Guess I felt a little girly all of a sudden.
Sylvia

Postby Kinetic II » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:46 am

Normally I grumble about sock puppets but I love yours.
Kinetic II

Postby Sylvia » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:03 am

What's a sock puppet (to you)? Thanks, though.

I hope you get rich, too K.
Sylvia

Postby Kinetic II » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:30 am

A sock is an alternate ID that is simultaneously used at the same time as an original ID.

Good socks would be SED / Sylvia. Bad socks are wspr and lhh.

And I am already rich. I have quite a few material things, a good family, and more. I need nothing, I want for little. Life is good. I wish my success to all.
Kinetic II

Postby SED » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:44 am

Kinetic II wrote:
And I am already rich. I have quite a few material things, a good family, and more. I need nothing, I want for little. Life is good. I wish my success to all.

I have some, but not all of those things. Perhaps we can work an an "arrangement" to our mutual benefit. My first born son for say, eternal life, or ultimate power. Or my dirty unfolded laundry for the contents of your ashtrays.

As you can see, I am new to this form of commerce.
SED

Re: I hope Larry H. gets massively rich.

Postby Mezzmo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:33 pm

Is he rich yet?
Mezzmo

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Sham » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:57 am

Well, you dug up a 9 year old topic. The answer to your question is Larry Harvey lives a very modest lifestyle. Most of the proceeds from year to year, go back into the event to bring more spectacular art to the playa. We benefit in a stronger infrastructure and cleaner porta potties.

There is no question that, like any business person, artist or performer, that he and the other owners of this company are benefiting from the success. I can't think of a better way to give incentive to people to build something this spectacular. It's capitalism.

I hope the people that make something that I enjoy very much and voluntarily purchase, make a very nice living from doing it!
Sham

Postby Coastburner » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:12 am

In this case, you're talking about the BM 1%. The funny thing is the 1% in this case has made the 99% extremely happy over the last 25+ years. I can't imagine going anywhere else in the world and meeting the people I have, experiencing the day and night art I've seen, theme camps I've visited, random experiences, trying new things, wearing whatever I want and having the best week of the year for the last 9 years of my life. Making money? I'd say yes and add that it's well deserved....in my humble opinion. The 1% in this case make a huge difference for the 99%. I wish it was that way in the real world but alas......it's not.

Coastburner
Coastburner

Postby Lonesomebri » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:22 am

Gifting, Decommodification, Radical Self-reliance, Radical Self-expression, Communal Effort, Civic Responsibility, Leaving No Trace, Participation, Immediacy……yeah, thank god for Larry or none of this would exist. Who needs the little people? They never made this event…..
Wishing success to the successful, riches to the wealthy, notoriety to the famous.......yes !!!! I take this stand......for the community.
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Return to Experiences at Burning Man