How to spot undercover cops?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

How to spot undercover cops?

Postby AdamOfTheRedEarth » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:17 pm

Probably been asked before but what are your tips and tricks for avoiding undercover cops?

I was thinking if they won't get naked then they could be a cop, because I don't think cops are allowed to get naked while on duty. Also, if someone is being really pushy or persistent and asking for drugs they could be a cop.

I simply ask as a theoretical discussion, I myself am not a user or dealer of drugs. It's just fascinating to me that the cops go through all that trouble to try and bust people at burning man, and get such poor results. I believe I read that only a handful of arrests happened last year due to undercovers.

What methods or theories of possible ways to avoid undercovers do you guys have? Do you think my idea of a cop not being able to get naked is valid?
AdamOfTheRedEarth

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: House of Skin - Adult Playground

Re: How to spot undercover cops?

Postby Dr. Pyro » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:18 pm

If you don't do anything illegal you really have nothing to worry about. It's a lot like home.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Token » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:26 pm

Well, officer, you stand before a mirror and look straight at it.

See, that was easy!
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:27 pm

AdamOfTheRedEarth wrote:I was thinking if they won't get naked then they could be a cop, because I don't think cops are allowed to get naked while on duty. Also, if someone is being really pushy or persistent and asking for drugs they could be a cop.

Last year at DISTRIKT, there was a team of undercovers working in the afternoon that was led by a completely buck naked cop with nothing but a cowboy hat on that was standing up on the risers dancing facing the crowd and watching. We witnessed a couple of takedowns personally and this was also confirmed by friends in the DISTRIKT staff afterwards.

The whole urban myth of "If you ask them, they have to tell you.." is a complete lie/myth as well. Cops can act like and say just about anything they want.

Wanna know how not to get busted? Don't do anything illegal in public. Plain and simple. Don't share drugs or accept drugs from people that you don't know. Don't do drugs in a public place. Don't carry drugs with you when you leave camp.

Do whatever the hell it is you're going to do in the safety and privacy of your own domain. No matter where you are on the playa, home camp is never too far to make it back for a pit stop..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Savannah » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:29 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
AdamOfTheRedEarth wrote:I was thinking if they won't get naked then they could be a cop, because I don't think cops are allowed to get naked while on duty. Also, if someone is being really pushy or persistent and asking for drugs they could be a cop.

Last year at DISTRIKT, there was a team of undercovers working in the afternoon that was led by a completely buck naked cop with nothing but a cowboy hat on that was standing up on the risers dancing facing the crowd and watching. We witnessed a couple of takedowns personally and this was also confirmed by friends in the DISTRIKT staff afterwards.

If I were a cop, I would find that an absolutely hilarious use of my afternoon.

Token wrote:Well, officer, you stand before a mirror and look straight at it.

See, that was easy!

:lol:
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby remi » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:30 pm

Why do you need to worry about undercovers? The only reason I can think of why someone would start a thread like this is because they want to obtain drugs in Burning Man.. and this wouldn't be the place to talk about it.

Looking for illegal narcotics on the playa is looking for trouble. If you want to hallucinate.. stay dehydrated... and get heat stroke then go for a jog in a sweat suit during the hottest part of the day.

I'm with Pyro on this one, however, if you have your heart set on breaking the law, from what I hear, don't ask around for it, don't accept it from anyone.. and, just maybe, if your special enough.. the naked guy might gift you something special.

Disclaimer: All data and information provided in this post is for informational purposes only. remi makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information in this post and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby Savannah » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:33 pm

remi wrote:Why do you need to worry about undercovers? The only reason I can think of why someone would start a thread like this is because they want to obtain drugs in Burning Man.. and this wouldn't be the place to talk about it.

Seriously.

Law enforcement reads ePlaya. Why wouldn't they? I would.

Savannah

Postby RedHeaven » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:47 pm

This thread is absolutely neccessary!! I was almost the victim of being busted by an undercover last year.
It was my 6th BMan, you would think I would have this down by now....
Im also 39 year old female, I have been smoking pot for years. I live in CA where it is practically legal and free, but I still think I "keep my wits"

So here is something to look out for. I am a very giving person and LOVE to share, especially at BMan, to me, pot is like wine or food.
I was at center camp one night (CENTER CAMP, REMEMBER THAT) watching some marching bands, and got into a really good conversation with a hippy dready dude.
He was a fairly classy wook, wore a white robe looking cool desert dweller dealio. He looked super chill and quite vet like, however told me it was his first Burn and he was just getting into it all.
Me, wanting to help a virgin out, kept talking.
He said, very slyly without it being weird to me at all, "The only thing i am having trouble with is seeking out some herb, since I am from the midwest we dont have much there"
I jumped on the chance to help this guy out! Mine is free, why not share?
I was about ready to tell him where my camp was so he could swing by, but got distracted, told him I would be back, ended up having to go do soemthing else.

Thought about it later.....WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING?????? TOTAL NARC......I ALMOST PUT MY WHOLE CAMP IN JEOPARDY

I SPACED OUT....DONT LET THAT HAPPEN TO YOU. KEEP YOUR WITS
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby plantmandan » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:57 pm

Never trust anybody outright. They are very good at blending in.
plantmandan

Burning Since: 2002

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:01 pm

Look for post-its

Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:37 pm

Burning Man is all about drugs, man. I read about it on the internet, dude.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby maladroit » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:42 pm

The easiest way to spot them is to pull out a massive nugget and bong and light that shit up in the middle of a crowd.

Edit: it would be sort of hilarious to see what would happen if someone tied a joint to a helium balloon and let it go when approached.
Last edited by maladroit on Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maladroit

Postby Savannah » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:47 pm

:lol:
Savannah

Postby uncle sticky » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:56 pm

Simple fact is that if you're too dumb to not do things with strangers that will get you arrested, you're too dumb to spot an under-cover.
Anybody you don't know asks you for drugs, they're probably not a cop, but they might be. Anybody you don't know offers you drugs, especially a nice easy to transport little package, probably not a cop, but they might be. Anybody might be, so it's best not to offer, accept, or give information regarding, drugs. Or suffer the consequences. Hot girl at that rave camp? Might be. Dreadlocked dude? Might be. Leather dude, probably is. All cops have secret Tom of Finland fantasies. Art car? Maybe. I think the undercover guys get really pumped up, just like you, with costume planning and pretending to be somebody else for a week, so there are some great police costumes out there.
Rule of thumb, very simple to follow: Don't give or take illegal substances to or from strangers, no matter how connected those little pills make you feel.
The handbasket to hell is leaving. Hop in world!
uncle sticky

Postby VultureChow » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:00 pm

maladroit wrote:The easiest way to spot them is to pull out a massive nugget and bong and light that shit up in the middle of a crowd.

Edit: it would be sort of hilarious to see what would happen if someone tied a joint to a helium balloon and let it go when approached.

Since I have my crochet contraband, I'm thinking of some hippie/ undercover fishing. Tie fake pot or shrooms in baggie to fishing pole and have a good time.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:02 pm

*snort!*
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:38 pm

VultureChow wrote:
maladroit wrote:The easiest way to spot them is to pull out a massive nugget and bong and light that shit up in the middle of a crowd.

Since I have my crochet contraband, I'm thinking of some hippie/ undercover fishing. Tie fake pot or shrooms in baggie to fishing pole and have a good time.

Little ziplocs with white powder work WONDERS..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby MikeGyver » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:48 pm

Simple way to spot undercover cops, walk around offering free drugs to everyone and you will know they're an undercover cop when your in handcuffs. Simple way to avoid them, Don't be stupid.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
MikeGyver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby JovReef » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:19 pm

Honestly officer, they are just shiitake!
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. - Sir Winston Churchill
JovReef

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Coon and Friends

Postby Homiesinheaven » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:45 pm

every single year i've experienced some sort of weirdo undercover interaction. once it was a SUPER cute girl who kept asking for ecstasy "for my whole camp" repeatedly even after we told her we didnt have or know of any. now i treat everyone who asks for drugs like a cop.
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby AdamOfTheRedEarth » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:10 pm

I agree completely with the whole idea of not getting caught doing something illegal by not doing anything illegal. I was mostly just curious if cops were allowed to be naked on the job, from what you guys say they totally can and do "walk out with their cock out" so that eliminates my theory.

Next question, are cops allowed to have sex on the job? How about drink alcohol? If someone takes several shots of jaeger with me I'd assume they couldn't be a cop, right?
AdamOfTheRedEarth

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:18 pm

Here is what you can do legally that you probably can not do legally at home:

Walk around town naked as much as you want.

Walk around drinking booze as much as you want.

Smoke cigarettes in a bar(camp)

That's about it. You are governed by the laws of the State of Nevada, as well as Federal law. Possessing drug paraphernalia is illegal in Nevada (bongs, whippit crackers, "bullets" etc) and you can get fined big-time. In 2010 a friend of one of our camp-mates got hit with $1000 fine for doing whippits publicly.

Stupidity makes the state money. I don't have a problem with that.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:22 pm

AdamOfTheRedEarth wrote:I agree completely with the whole idea of not getting caught doing something illegal by not doing anything illegal. I was mostly just curious if cops were allowed to be naked on the job, from what you guys say they totally can and do "walk out with their cock out" so that eliminates my theory.

Next question, are cops allowed to have sex on the job? How about drink alcohol? If someone takes several shots of jaeger with me I'd assume they couldn't be a cop, right?

STFU,

we are not amused.
one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby AdamOfTheRedEarth » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:25 pm

Roberto Dobbisano wrote:
AdamOfTheRedEarth wrote:I agree completely with the whole idea of not getting caught doing something illegal by not doing anything illegal. I was mostly just curious if cops were allowed to be naked on the job, from what you guys say they totally can and do "walk out with their cock out" so that eliminates my theory.

STFU,

we are not amused.

Not here to amuse you, just asking questions that I have for no good reason. If you're all that easily offended feel free to delete this thread then, I didn't realize it was going to be so touchy in here.
AdamOfTheRedEarth

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:40 pm

Oh, don't mind him.

If there are cops and if you were to be suspected, let's just say they are not looking for drug users as much as stupid drug users.
If there ever was drug use at an unnamed "festival" in the desert, that is...

If someone takes several shots of jaeger with me I'd assume they couldn't be a cop, right?

Assume nothing and you'll be all right.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby some seeing eye » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:42 pm

This year it has been announced that Pershing County will hire contract police from other jurisdictions. They can pick the best and brightest, meaning the most effective, undercovers from anywhere in the country. Likewise there is a lot of competition for positions at BM by all the other law enforcement entities. With that much competition they can select the most effective, most look the part, undercovers who have been living the life 24x7x365, etc.

These undercovers have spent years at their jobs. I highly doubt that any of the limits on their behavior you propose are true. You are not going to be able to devise a test. Everyone is telling you that.

However if I was undercover, I would pop on this board and tell you some surefire test that is simply not true. Then I would bust your butt and those of any other foolish readers on playa who believed it.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Savannah » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:45 pm

AdamOfTheRedEarth wrote:Not here to amuse you, just asking questions that I have for no good reason. If you're all that easily offended feel free to delete this thread then, I didn't realize it was going to be so touchy in here.

It's too late, they're amused.

Stick around, and you'll see it's not particularly personal. :)

Savannah

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:51 pm

AdamOfTheRedEarth wrote:Next question, are cops allowed to have sex on the job? How about drink alcohol? If someone takes several shots of jaeger with me I'd assume they couldn't be a cop, right?

Police can do absolutely anything as long as they don't entrap you. So, yes, shots of jaeger. Probably sex (think about undercover cops in drug & biker gangs).

Lets put it this way, guy-who-is-not-getting-the-answer-he-wants, assume absolutely everyone you don't know is a cop & don't do anything stupid. It really is that simple. Because they can do what they "need" to do to stop criminal activities as long as they stay within the law, and fooling someone who asks as many questions as you is childsplay.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby uncle sticky » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:53 pm

Not to jump all over you, here's the truth. Undercover cops can and do engage in all sorts of illegal behavior to maintain cover. Have sex? Sure. Do drugs? Yes. Shots of Jaeger? Absolutely. DJ at your favorite dance camp? What, you don't think cops can learn to DJ? There is nothing that they can not engage in that would give them away, otherwise how in the world would they ever crack major cases? Another perspective is this: if you get cited for drug use, providing alcohol to a minor, etc, etc, are you going to invest thousands into your defense, or are you paying for fine and moving on with a misdemeanor on your record? All these cute legal defenses are meaningless if you're not willing to fight it in court. The judge is not going to review your complaint that you were trapped, lied to, tricked or framed and dismiss the charges. In the unlikely event you were able to successfully fight the charges, it would be only after years of legal wrangling, thousands in attorney fees, and many sleepless nights.
The handbasket to hell is leaving. Hop in world!
uncle sticky

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:56 pm

That's ridiculous, everybody knows cops don't have rhythm.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks