Disagreement With Pershing County Could Raise 2013 Costs

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Re: Disagreement With Pershing County Could Raise 2013 Costs

Postby clocksnmirrors » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:26 pm

:D

this made me smile

fears quelled. thanks figjam
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee heee heee heeeee! *burp*
clocksnmirrors

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Straightveg » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:36 pm

from the burning blog entry here
"RENO, Nev. — Today the organizers of Burning Man filed a lawsuit against Pershing County, Nev., to stop the county’s attempt to impose a drastic increase in fees on the annual weeklong event, which is held on public land managed by the U.S. government. This action will not affect the 2012 event."
Black Rock City or Bust Dust!
Straightveg

Postby wraith » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:45 pm

Straightveg wrote:from the burning blog entry here
"RENO, Nev. — Today the organizers of Burning Man filed a lawsuit against Pershing County, Nev., to stop the county’s attempt to impose a drastic increase in fees on the annual weeklong event, which is held on public land managed by the U.S. government. This action will not affect the 2012 event."

Well, nothing -officially-. I'd still be on the lookout for possible shakedowns from the local LEO's, if they happen to be of the same opinion as the disgrace of a judge quoted above. Hopefully the presence of the Federal folks will keep them from getting out of hand on the Playa itself, but I expect quite a bit more in the way of traffic stops and searches to be a distinct possibility.
wraith

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:15 am

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Sham » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:24 am

Sham

Postby jerroc » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:00 pm

Worst case is we pay $1.50 more per person per day. There might be limits set on nudity to confine it to a more nudist colony concept where it is set out of "public" view. sex or orgy camps will not be able to post signs "advertise" or "solicit in any way. I could see where they would want to increase Police enforcement to enforce nudity or luied act laws. it would require more money and I would not be suprised to see arrest made this year or next. Most likely people will have to cover the extreme gential area. I trust the BMO will tie this up in court for a while. I trust money talks and bullshit walks. With an event this size and growing i am expecting to see More outside regulation influences. After all it's a self titled city. I think it will be treated more like a city than a festival.
jerroc

Postby Elliot » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:01 pm

BatCountry wrote:Lovelock is the only town that Burners pass though that is located in Pershing County. I'm encouraging everyone I know to not spend money between Winnemucca and Fernley.

I disagree. Seems to me, we should go right on buying all the supplies we can in Pershing County. That way, the event becomes more important to the economy of the county, and they will have a better incentive to keep the event as and where it is.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby dragonpilot » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:32 pm

CapSmashy wrote:
Shambala wrote:At this point in time, the local economies depend on the money that the Burning Man Festival generates. It appears that Pershing County is attempting to drive over the golden goose with a police cruiser. It might be time to move this whole event to someplace fresh and new. Maybe something with rolling hills, trees and maybe a river flowing through. I'm ready! :D

Several problems here.

1. No big burns. Even if the area is not under wildfire conditions/burn bans, no "authority" figure will sign off on lighting multiple 100 foot tall structures on fire with big pyro displays in the middle of a forest or grassland area.

2. Ecological impact of 60k plus campers in an active, diverse wilderness ecosystem.

3. Critters. Snakes, bugs, furry things with teeth... The flood of raccoons alone going for trash would be horrific. Throw in some bears and it would get real exciting. Some e-tard would think the bear wants to be friends and try to give it a hug.

So, OK...we don't move to green, pristine hills, with babbling brooks. There are a fuckton of cities with these huge stadiums that can easily seat 80,000 or more. Awesome shows could be staged on the field and we could all stay in the local hotels and eat at the local restaurants.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby vargaso » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:41 pm

In my opinion, the Black Rock Desert is integral to Burning Man. Many of the features of the event originated organically in response to the playa's features. Easy (most years) biking is crucial. Just the concept of a literal blank slate is important. Burning Man could move, but the event would change dramatically, which is neither good nor bad, I suppose.
vargaso

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby offarock » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:01 pm

vargaso wrote:In my opinion, the Black Rock Desert is integral to Burning Man. Many of the features of the event originated organically in response to the playa's features. Easy (most years) biking is crucial. Just the concept of a literal blank slate is important. Burning Man could move, but the event would change dramatically, which is neither good nor bad, I suppose.

Sounds like Alvord desert in Oregon then?
This signature left intentionally blank.
offarock

Camp Name: Silicon Village - Squirreltopia

Postby clocksnmirrors » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:03 pm

jerroc wrote:There might be limits set on nudity to confine it to a more nudist colony concept where it is set out of "public" view.

I could see where they would want to increase Police enforcement to enforce nudity or luied act laws.

Most likely people will have to cover the extreme gential area.

this does not just disappoint me, it pisses me off
clocksnmirrors

Postby pink » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:51 pm

I'll have to look at a map and see exactly where Pershing vs Washoe is. Might not have to move very far :wink:
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:07 pm

pink wrote:I'll have to look at a map and see exactly where Pershing vs Washoe is. Might not have to move very far :wink:

They're right next to each-other. Fairly straight border line, Washoe on the California side. The catch is that the vast majority of the easily accessible Black Rock Playa is in Pershing (there is an arm in Humbolt county to the north, but it would be one hell of a drive across the playa to get there!).

Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby some seeing eye » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:27 pm

The Southern tip of the playa right by Gerlach is in Washoe. The road frontage for the DPW and Fly Ranches is in Washoe. Not sure if both of those BM properties are completely in Washoe though.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:45 pm

Eric wrote:
pink wrote:I'll have to look at a map and see exactly where Pershing vs Washoe is. Might not have to move very far :wink:

They're right next to each-other. Fairly straight border line, Washoe on the California side. The catch is that the vast majority of the easily accessible Black Rock Playa is in Pershing (there is an arm in Humbolt county to the north, but it would be one hell of a drive across the playa to get there!).

Another possible factor is that when they did the National Conservation Area (dashes off to check if that's the proper designation for BLM) they designated a specific part of the playa as being for large gatherings. Other parts of the playa might not be permitted to host us.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby vargaso » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:43 pm

offarock wrote:
vargaso wrote:In my opinion, the Black Rock Desert is integral to Burning Man. Many of the features of the event originated organically in response to the playa's features. Easy (most years) biking is crucial. Just the concept of a literal blank slate is important. Burning Man could move, but the event would change dramatically, which is neither good nor bad, I suppose.

Sounds like Alvord desert in Oregon then?

Wow, yes. I seem to have gone this far in life without having ever heard of the Alvord Desert. Looks awesome, some great pics in this blog post:

http://www.bumfuzzle.com/pages/2008/2008_09.php

Let's move! Ha.
vargaso

Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby BBadger » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:51 pm

They just better not move it anywhere east of the Mississippi, or hell, anywhere that would normally be considered "humid."
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby some seeing eye » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:54 pm

In addition to doubling deputies at the event, the Pershing sheriff is tripling their office/jail space on playa this year. The more arrests and citations, the greater the justification for future expansion. Please don't be a law enforcement statistic.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby PlayaPatrol » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:19 pm

Burners have financial power. We can spend more or less or no money in pershing county or Northern Nevada. If the area loses as much money in revenue as it is planning on gouging bmorg for it may back off. Let the county and state elected officials know that your groups plan to spend no money in Pershing county and surrounding areas until it rescinds the rate hike gouge and doubling of law enforcement. Let them know you support movng burning man to a different state. What pershing is doing is unethical and financial extortion.
Eplaya is the same few dozen hate filled trolls shouting into the echo chamber for 4 hours per day, every day, for over a decade.
PlayaPatrol

Postby jerroc » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:13 am

clocksnmirrors wrote:
jerroc wrote:There might be limits set on nudity to confine it to a more nudist colony concept where it is set out of "public" view.

I could see where they would want to increase Police enforcement to enforce nudity or luied act laws.

Most likely people will have to cover the extreme gential area.

this does not just disappoint me, it pisses me off

Please understand I do not care weather a person wants to wear clothes or not. It Really does not matter to me. I only stated I understand there are people who disagree with these ideas and if it is in there power they will try to change it. I prefer my clothes on so this enforcement will not effect me. I don't see making people wear clothes as a 1st amendment violation so I don't feel my rights are taken away. If other people feel differently I have no problem with that either.
jerroc

Postby gyre » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:32 am

The county may be drooling over other high profit music festivals in other places, and having delusions of cash.
gyre

Postby CornMan » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:59 am

If it's BLM land, it's BLM land. The county could enact a $50 per night minimum fee for camping within the county of Pershing, but that would not require that the BLM to start gathering such fees for camping in the Black Rock Desert. Pershing County simply does not have such jurisdiction over BLM land. They do need to back off about this lewdness thing. Nobody within the county of Pershing may witness anything that goes on at Burning Man unless they buy a ticket and travel across the desert to get there. Of course, all this is mainly about wanting as much money as possible from arrests/tickets and about conservative political posturing for reelection's sake.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:36 am

I already dump the latest JRS so I can't post a link, but it said it does'nt affect this years event!!! :roll:

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby CornMan » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:39 am

I think we all know that it doesn't affect 2012 Burning Man.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby clocksnmirrors » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:23 am

jerroc wrote:Please understand I do not care weather a person wants to wear clothes or not. It Really does not matter to me. I only stated I understand there are people who disagree with these ideas and if it is in there power they will try to change it. I prefer my clothes on so this enforcement will not effect me. I don't see making people wear clothes as a 1st amendment violation so I don't feel my rights are taken away. If other people feel differently I have no problem with that either.

:) my feelings aren't directed at you. it's the situation that has me pissed.

this is my first burn. i'm a nudist so i was really looking forward to a no-hassle, clothes-free experience
clocksnmirrors

Postby shroom » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:31 am

I think it will stay put. Burning man would not work in a place other than the desert in my opinion. There are regionals around the south that I'm not to crazy about going to because they are in the woods. Well hell I live in the woods! I want to see the desert.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire." Fred Shero
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Schtev » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:37 am

clocksnmirrors wrote:
jerroc wrote:Please understand I do not care weather a person wants to wear clothes or not. It Really does not matter to me. I only stated I understand there are people who disagree with these ideas and if it is in there power they will try to change it. I prefer my clothes on so this enforcement will not effect me. I don't see making people wear clothes as a 1st amendment violation so I don't feel my rights are taken away. If other people feel differently I have no problem with that either.

:) my feelings aren't directed at you. it's the situation that has me pissed.

this is my first burn. i'm a nudist so i was really looking forward to a no-hassle, clothes-free experience

I'm betting the odds of getting fined for public nudity this year are pretty much nil.
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."
Schtev

Camp Name: Camp Fuckowee

Postby Schtev » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:58 am

shroom wrote:I think it will stay put. Burning man would not work in a place other than the desert in my opinion. There are regionals around the south that I'm not to crazy about going to because they are in the woods. Well hell I live in the woods! I want to see the desert.

I got the sense from my first Burn that part of what brings out that special Burny something in people is the harsh environment. Maybe that'd be lost in a more hospitable location. Not to mention there'd be a population explosion because said harsh environment is no longer deterring anybody from going. If it moves, I say keep it in a shit hole similar to Black Rock Playa.
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."
Schtev

Camp Name: Camp Fuckowee

Postby skippy3k » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:51 am

steve.t.sullivan wrote:I got the sense from my first Burn that part of what brings out that special Burny something in people is the harsh environment.

I completely agree. The difficulty in getting out there, preparing for it, the desolation....I think that adds to the experience. Not to mention when you are in the middle of nowhere with just a stark landscape, it makes the art pop out more.
I'm a fixer. I fix things.
skippy3k

Burning Since: 2009

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:54 am

I don't know of anywhere else without bugs! 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

PreviousNext

Return to Politics & Philosophy