Food ideas

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Re: Food ideas

Postby HiBbY » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:22 am

Yes sir :::) i have another idea we should make a gigantic pizza, with each segment in a two to four slice size cut off into a different kind of pizza (hawaiian, cheese, meat, veg, etc.) it would add quite a lot of variety to the food choice and would be able to feed quite a lot of people.

To prepare you would have to use a large metal sheet with sone kind of metal rack underneath to leave room for a large fire pit under it for heating. Lets say you want the pizza to be around 6 ft in diameter, Get a 12 foot square sheet of reflective metal, of corse as well the regular ingredient ratio would also change: :::D

ORIGINAL RECIPIE: crust :::D

1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
2 1/2 cups bread flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt

a regular sized pizza is usually about 1' in diameter? ya? so you would multiply the ingredient level by say six in this case: :::D

1 (1.5 ounce) package active dry yeast
6 teaspoons white sugar
6 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C) :temp would be raised to about 225-ish (alterable) or could remain the same.
15 cups bread flour
12 tablespoons olive oil
6 teaspoons salt

:::D
Now thats a massive slice i would say go for square slices bout 6x4 inches

Cheese, sauce and other topping amount would depend on the person who's cookin' that stuff and is definitely going to need a looooooooooooooooooooooot of it though like maybe a half, to a pound of cheese, and a few ounces of sauce depending on the crust thickness, and toppings are really easy to eye out. :::D
You need a sauce recipe ill post one XD

Dont forget to greece the pan :::D
HiBbY
c = 1 gives the sequence 0, 1, 2, 5, 26,…, which tends to infinity...
HiBbY

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:25 am

When you read the first timer's guide you will see that fire pits are not allowed.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby HiBbY » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:33 am

I meant for admin use not burner. i thought thats what this forum was about XD didn't know it was personal. besides you could probably find a way to get permition for some way to cook the damn thing. If not XXD the metals reflective get another sheet and use solar power :::D
HiBbY

Postby Sentient being » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:34 am

HiBbY wrote: Lets say you want the pizza to be around 6 ft in diameter......

.....a regular sized pizza is usually about 1' in diameter? ya? so you would multiply the ingredient level by say six in this case: :::D

Math check ......multiplying the ingreidents of a 1' dia. pizza by 6 will not yield a 6' dia. pizza.
Try more like x36 unles you like a see-through crust.

Pie r squared and all that.
Sentient being

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:25 am

Pie are round!

Cornbread are square. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby HiBbY » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:47 am

XXD thanks for the correction. ya i wasnt expecting the math to be perfect, im not to edjucated in that field lol im more of a science geek if anything, i gotta work on learning up my ratios lol XXD but ya its the idea that i wanted to get through, anyone could edit as much as they need to XXD

stay shpongled :::D
HiBbY
HiBbY

Postby Sentient being » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:49 am

FIGJAM wrote:Pie are round!

Cornbread are square. 8)

Sentient being

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:56 am

And then there's cubic.....
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby snoozeberry » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:12 pm

Hormel's instant meals.

Have one pot of water that you use over again to heat the packages up. No dishes, 1 min prep time, and a cheap delicious salty meal. As well, these are especially useful for people who feel "obstructed".
snoozeberry

Postby cordsally » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:57 pm

Great topic at all! love to read this again and again....................... :arrow:
cordsally

Burning Since: 1986

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:55 am

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby rikk789 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:45 am

If coming from the UK is it permitted to bring boxed, sealed boil-in-bag army rations? Looked on the TSA website but there wasnt much mention about that sort of food. General contents are sort of the same as MRE (but better) such as curry/stew in sealed foil bags.
Always try to at least look busy
rikk789

Burning Since: 2013

Postby rikk789 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:47 am

Bounce530 wrote:Just a thought here, if you do the boil a bag all week long with the same pot of water, and not using an evap pond for the left over water, how about just boiling off the pot of water on the cold night before you leave?

Why not boil the left over water to make into cups of tea or coffee?
Always try to at least look busy
rikk789

Burning Since: 2013

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:19 am

rikk789 wrote:
Bounce530 wrote:Just a thought here, if you do the boil a bag all week long with the same pot of water, and not using an evap pond for the left over water, how about just boiling off the pot of water on the cold night before you leave?

Why not boil the left over water to make into cups of tea or coffee?

Um. Because the idea of letting any compounds in the bag leach out into my drink doesn't really thrill me.
Of course, we all draw different lines.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby dav725 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:35 pm

Hey everyone. I have a few basic questions for y'all out there. I was thinking of Trade Joe's frozen stir frys and chow mein...but I wonder how long they are good to stay in the cooler. The bags say that they should stay frozen, but I know they will only stay 'cool' in the ice chest. Also, to save water on the playa, I was thinking of making some plain pasta and putting it in ziplock bags to keep in the cooler and to use later in the week. Info that I saw online say that the pasta can be kept for 3 days and others say a week. And what about a cooked, frozen meatloaf?

Thanks in advance for any info!
dav725

Postby stephen2u » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:38 pm

I will be making mundo in the morning's a large pot of it, and i love to share.
stephen2u

Postby Candybox » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:47 am

Mountain House freeze-dried food is pretty awesome. The two of us bring it in 10-serving tubs they sell on Amazon. It's not a bad price either—$30 for 10 servings per tub. We eat about 1.5 servings each per meal, so that amounts to $4.50/meal/person.

It turns into real, hot food with meat and and carbs and veggies. It packs in light, doesn't need ice, and doesn't go bad during the week. It actually tastes pretty good too—like real food. We supplement it with other food like fresh vegetables, bacon, and snacks, but we really subsisted on Mountain House.

This year, we packed in 4 flavors: Beef Stroganoff, Chicken a la king, Chili Mac, and Beef Stew. We would rotate them for meals. Towards the end, we started mixing them up for cracked out flavors like Beef Stewganoff, Stew a la King, and Stroganmac. We also ate lunch at Grilled Cheese Camp quite a bit. Eating Mountain House was bearable, but we were really glad to get real food once we got back to civilization...

Probably next time, we'll also bring supplies for grilled cheese, spaghetti and other easy tasty foods.
Candybox

Burning Since: 2010

Postby AntiM » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:46 am

Amylu brand chicken patties from Costco... precooked, frozen, two to a vacuum-sealed pack. Larry would heat two, cut them in quarters and serve them on homestyle biscuits (yes we have a propane oven). Tasty little chicken sliders!

Also, chicken chunks heated up with teriyaki sauce, and served with, yes, biscuits. Num.

And tamales. I do love my food sealer, and everything stayed well frozen in the big cooler. Kept it under a table in the shade, with a quilted cooler cozy. Someone does have to stay on top of the ice though.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Keigh » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:22 pm

Nobody has said Spam?

SPAM!

it keeps all week, it's versatile, its delicious fried with salt and pepper, and this year we discovered it comes in FLAVORS. BACON flavor. For example.

That said, we didn't touch any of the Spam that we brought on the playa, because the meat I precooked kept so well. Just cook a few pounds of hamburger and country sausage and put in canning jars. the heat will 'seal' the jar (its not a long term storage seal but will work for several days in a cooler) and then you just have to heat it up, or mix it in with, say, a can of chili, or some veggies and rice and then heat it all day in your solar oven.

oh, you dont have a solar oven? You definitely should build one. I made mine from cardboard boxes so it didnt take up any room to haul out there. and then you can make casserole every day! Well, sunny days. Of course, the day i put my Russian Fluff in the oven, it was a balmy 80 degrees and light cloud cover. But it was still hot and delicious!

We brought bacon and sausage uncooked also, and kept them in a completely separate cooler. Then they could stay cold while we used the other cooler for everything else. We bought a lot of ice, but it was worth it to have good food all week. And hey, if anything had spoiled, we would have eaten Spam like Kings of Patagonia!

~K~
Keigh

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:30 pm

When we camp, including at BM, we like to cook. But we don't like to spend all day cooking, and we'd rather avoid having a tonne of smelly food waste.

This year, we had great success with two dishes which managed to straddle the line between "real" food and convenience food. Both were combinations of brown Minute Rice (which isn't exactly whole-grain rice, but is probably still healthier than white rice... and cooks in about 10 minutes on a campstove) with various canned vegetables.

The first one was rice, one can of "mexi-corn" (corn plus red peppers plus spices), one can of diced tomatoes, one can of black beans, some salt, pepper, garlic powder, olive oil, and queso fresco. It was a kind of Mexi-Cali Risotto or something

The other was rice, one can of coconut milk, one can of peas, one packet of pre-cut raw butternut squash, curry paste, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and olive oil.

Both were insanely easy to cook. Boil water, add rice, cook, add contents of cans/packets, cook some more, season, and serve. No mess; minimal garbage (one cardboard box and a few tins). Next time, we're going to do more like this. Heck; we'll even do these at home.
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:43 pm

And another eplayan makes the fatal decision to "bring the burn home".
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Previous

Return to Food & Drink