Getting Propane on the Playa?

Planning to build and bring a mutant vehicle? Talk about your plans and recruit crew members here.

Getting Propane on the Playa?

Postby DiscoFish » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:50 pm

Hey, we have added 2 100 gallon tanks of propane to our art car this year, and needed to get more knowledge of the options for refueling on the playa. Here are my questions, please feel free to add in more advice I dont know to ask about yet:

1) Is is better to drive up with empties and fill up in Reno or do you fill up at home and drive up full?
2) Is it possible to get a 200 gallon refill on the playa without advance reservations, at this point?
3) If yes, how do you find the truck, it is cash only (how much?) and what type of fill adapter is needed?
4) This is our first time with fire on the playa (we play with fire with our battle bots) so anything we might need to know?

Awesome and thank you See you soon!
DiscoFish

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Love Puddle

Re: Getting Propane on the Playa?

Postby lemur » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:51 pm

LOL.

you gotta find the person dealing CRACK.. i hear they work the same corner every year.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby maryanimal » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:59 pm

DiscoFish wrote:Hey, we have added 2 100 gallon tanks of propane to our art car this year, and needed to get more knowledge of the options for refueling on the playa. Here are my questions, please feel free to add in more advice I dont know to ask about yet:

1) Is is better to drive up with empties and fill up in Reno or do you fill up at home and drive up full?
2) Is it possible to get a 200 gallon refill on the playa without advance reservations, at this point?
3) If yes, how do you find the truck, it is cash only (how much?) and what type of fill adapter is needed?
4) This is our first time with fire on the playa (we play with fire with our battle bots) so anything we might need to know?

Awesome and thank you See you soon!

So, you've been a burner since 2003...aaaand your asking if you can get propane on the playa? This needs to be transfer to the I'm a Dead Horse...Beat me thread!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby DiscoFish » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:11 pm

wow, thanks for being so cool maryanimal. I thought the eplaya was a place to share knowledge. Yes, of course I already searched for propane on the playa. But getting 200 gallons at a go is a wee bit different. And this is the first year we've added fire to our mutant vehicle.
DiscoFish

Postby Sham » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Since we're still one page one: No, you really can't get propane on the playa. I wouldn't suggest bringing propane from your home area, both for the weight of it AND the dangerous cargo aspect.
There are places in Reno where you can get propane, and that would make the most sense for you. I'm sure that Google can help you find specific places for propane.
What I tend to do when I need items like that, is price it at home so I know if the price in Reno is at least close to being fair. (I did that with dry ice)
Good luck with the flaming artcar!!
Sham

Postby DiscoFish » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:23 pm

thanks Shambala, that is super helpful!
DiscoFish

Postby lemur » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:33 pm

my post was actually 100% accurate and for real, no joke.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby trilobyte » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:36 pm

Fuel and fuel storage are pretty serious issues - I know you've been working hard on and concentrating on adding fire to the MV, but please make sure you assign a responsible campmate to this and make sure it's not treated as an afterthought. Since you're adding flame effects to a mutant vehicle and will be storing additional fuel supplies at your camp, you'll want to read through all the flame effects info for art installations and mutant vehicles, as well as all the fuel safety info in the theme camp resources.

Essential reading can be found here.

Hope that helps!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby DiscoFish » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:00 pm

thanks triobyte, we have read through and followed those guidelines, and we are familiar with playing with fire-the build team is a bunch of engineers who also build fire breathing battle bots, so we will play safely for sure. We had heard rumors about a "Mr. Propantor" that had propane for large tanks that we could hook up with on the playa for a refill, so we just hadn't given that much thought until now.
DiscoFish

Postby oscillator » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:02 pm

Yes, there is a CRACK dealer on the playa, but only for registered art installations (and very few exceptions).

OK, now for some useful 411:

There is an outside vendor pass available for on-playa re-fueling, but it is pricey, and the deadline has passed for 2012. I believe you can also arrange to meet vendors @ the Gate.

One option is to use the propane refueling station in Gerlach. I do not have any experience with this, but am told there is a resource there, do not know exactly where.

Assuming the cylinders are upright and bonda fide, I believe transporting 200 gals is legal for non-commercial vehicles in the State of Nevada, but don't quote me. Empty cylinders are NP.

FWIW, the re-fueling options for BRC are not easy to figure out for those not in-the-know. But hey BM isn't about easy, right?

HtHs,

-Osc
oscillator

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:45 pm

Just a heads up...

It is Illegal to haul a 200 gallon tank filled with propane, no matter whether it is on a trailer or not.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Return to 2012 Mutant Vehicles