Costume & Crafting Help

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Re: Costume & Crafting Help

Postby AntiM » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:47 am

I think they look pretty darn good as is.

I haven't sewn my seat covers yet, or the cover for the big cooler. Or finished altering my thrift shop dress. Or hemmed the desert scene fabric I found to make a hanging panel.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Jax Dee » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:57 pm

Ratty wrote:Emily. They're done. They're beautiful and fun. Don't over-think this project. I vote for wearing em as they are now. why mess with a good thing. You can't fight the wind no matter how much weight you put on them. Let em flow.

Totally correct! Costuming is art, and they always tell you in art classes that one of the hardest things to learn is when to STOP. I think you have a good idea of setting them aside and focusing on something else for a bit. Then go back and look at them. I bet you will see a "finished product" when you do :) I think they are very pretty!
May All Beings Be Well
May All Beings Be Happy
May All Beings Be Free From Suffering
-Buddhist Blessing
Jax Dee

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Postby EmilyD » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:33 pm

Thanks Ratty, AntiM, and Jax,

I feel a lot better about it since posting here, and getting all six finished ones onto some bodies. Also changing the name has helped a lot (The project is now called "Lahontan Memories" named after prehistoric Lake Lahontan which is now the Playa). These were always meant to be about the wind and the water so thanks for reminding me not to fight the wind! The frames just accidentally looked a bit like boats so I got hung up on the boat thing. Free of it now, thanks to all of you. You can see photos of them here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/emily_du/s ... 774988310/

And...I actually still have four more to sew! Also have two pair of bloomers, a dress hem, and an entire dress to sew. AIEEE, where has the time gone?

Oh...Ratty, your clothes were a HUGE HIT yesterday at the clothing/costume exchange. Thanks very much for connecting with the host and bringing them to her! I'm sorry we didn't get to meet. Hope you had a successful day on the Ave.
EmilyD

Postby Ratty » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:34 pm

Emily, You inspired me to the paint box. It's almost last call for spray painting and covering up logos. What I lack in talent I make up in enthusiasm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby lazerfox » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:42 pm

"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister
lazerfox

Postby Ratty » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:45 pm

Great looking tye-dye. I tried doing it a couple of times. I know it's not easy. My hat's off to you.
Ratty

Postby lazerfox » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:44 am

Thanks Ratty! That means a lot coming from you!!
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister
lazerfox

Postby EmilyD » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:13 am

Ratty wrote:Emily, You inspired me to the paint box. It's almost last call for spray painting and covering up logos. What I lack in talent I make up in enthusiasm.

YAY! Those are super cute Ratty!

lazerfox, that is some nice looking tie dye, especially the spiral one. Not easy to do!

Oh we have such busy hands don't we? Am I the only one who's brain is spinning all night with ideas and tasks. It's driving me crazy with lack of sleep.
EmilyD

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:18 am

Ratty wrote:Emily, You inspired me to the paint box. It's almost last call for spray painting and covering up logos. What I lack in talent I make up in enthusiasm.

OMG Ratty, I LOVE those! I am going to have to do something fun with mine!
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:42 am

I realize that it's a bit late in the game for people to be starting new sewing projects, but here's one that's SUPER quick. You can whip up a pair of leggings in a couple of hours!

I am not normally a leggings-wearer at all, but having a cast on your leg, well, changes things. Using this tutorial, I made myself a pair of sparkly gold leggings and a pair of black lace ones, both using material I had on hand. I'm super proud of them! Because I'm not super proud of my figure, I'll probably mostly wear them under skirts/dresses for added warmth/modesty. Who knows what a couple of drinks will do, though? But... yeah! Two pairs of perfectly-fitted, comfy, go-with-my-costume leggings for zero dollars and a couple of hours' work!

So, for anyone else who's thinking they need some playa leggings or that they'd love a quick sewing project to do while they procrastinate from their other preparations... here's the tutorial: http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2011/09/su ... ieces.html

Notes:

1. The tutorial doesn't really specify this in words (although the pictures show this), but when you lay the pattern on the fabric to cut it, you need to have the part with the crotch-allowance (the curvy-slopey bit) away from the fold. And if the other side of the pattern has a bit of a curve, just ignore it and leave the fold intact. This is probably obvious, but I can imagine myself forgetting this in a moment of excitement/distraction.

2. You need to use a pair of leggings or stretchy pants (NOT footless tights) that fit you in order to make the pattern (you don't have to wreck them, though). Obviously, you want to use ones with approximately the same amount of stretch as the fabric you're using to make the new ones. Use less-stretchy fabric for the new ones, and they won't go on; use more-stretchy fabric, and they'll likely be baggy or saggy.

3. Don't worry if the leggings you use as a pattern are more complex. I used a pair of technical running pants that had like 400 seams, but just tracing their basic shape worked out fine.

4. I figure if you use a loose, non-stretchy pair of pull-up pants (e.g. pyjama pants), then you can also use a non-stretchy fabric. This hypothesis has yet to be tested, but the principle is sound. The trick is that the pants you use have to be pull-on, elasticized-waist or drawstring-waist pants (no fly) and the two fabrics have to be similar in stretchiness.
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby lazerfox » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:02 am

Pictures please!!

And it's funny I'm actually unheaming some baby leggings for the BF to use as arm warmers. :)

And I am still starting new sewing projects...I slacked on sewing stuff for the boyfriend so now I have to play catch up with my stuff...found a costume I had all the pieces for but TOTALLY forgot I was going to make...sigh. Me thinks I'll be having some sleepless nights.
lazerfox

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:02 am

Here are the leggings I made. Sorry, not modelling them. Taking a pic in the mirror is challenging enough without having to balance on one foot!

Edit: Jinx, Lazerfox, or maybe I read your mind! Your request for pics came as I was posting this... And sleepless nights sewing can be kind of fun. Except when I get too tired and start making mistakes. :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by catinthefunnyhat on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby lazerfox » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:04 am

They look great!! The lace one is so pretty. :)
lazerfox

Postby slvrnmph » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:18 pm

Some of the things I have made in the last two months, some of which I just finished today.

( \_/)
(O.o)
(< >)
slvrnmph

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Ratty » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:16 pm

Those are fab-eye-poppin outfits. I love the spotted fur and hairy pants. Great job.
Ratty

Postby skorpiyostyle » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:15 pm

just finished making these, yay ruffles~!
skorpiyostyle

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Drawingablank » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:33 pm

skorpiyostyle wrote:just finished making these, yay ruffles~!

Very nice - and a refreshing change from the monster fur "uniform".
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby slvrnmph » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:02 pm

The ruffles are fantastic!
( \_/)
(O.o)
(< >)
slvrnmph

Postby lazerfox » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:19 pm

those are lovely ruffles!!
lazerfox

Postby Foxfur » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:47 pm

You are beyond cute!
(I love monkey anything...)
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: 404 Village Not Found

Postby Ratty » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:20 pm

Those ruffle pants are the ones I made in 7th grade. It was a loooong time ago and I still miss them. Yes. I got suspended a lot. (Hippies not welcome). They are priceless.
Ratty

Postby EmilyD » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:25 pm

Wow some great costumes being made by folks in here!

Welcome to the thread slvrnmph and bravo for all your nice sewing work! I love those fringy white pants! They'll do some great moving in the wind!

catinafunnyhat, Those leggings really look pro, especially the black lacy ones! I'm impressed!

Ratty, I ADORE those ruffled leggs! FUN!!!

I'll try to get some photos up of my little dresses with bloomers.
EmilyD

Postby incubus_pantomime » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:47 pm

I've been trolling this thread for months, and I thought today would be a good day to share some of my costuming fun:

The skirt is scrap fabric and ribbon from clearance bins and leftover from other crafts. The bra was cheap WalMart purchase with added sparkles and flowery goodness I found after rummaging through my craft bins.

I'm a virgin, so I thought I might as well assume the sparkle pony persona in jest:

This mask was also made with leftover crafts in my craft bins:

I'm so excited to wear them! Packing them into my suitcase today got me so pumped for the playa! Thanks for the inspiration to pick up the industrial strength glue and sewing kit! :D
"I think perhaps love thrives on unlikely circumstance and chance : life thrives on these principles, and is life not love? And love not life?"
incubus_pantomime

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Lamplighters (thanks, guys and gals!)

Postby Ratty » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:25 pm

You are going to sparkle like a diamond in the sun. Just beautiful!
Ratty

Postby EmilyD » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:43 pm

DAMN GIRL! Thanks for showing us your pretty/shiny! You are going to be a very well dressed burgin incubus_pantomime!
EmilyD

Postby slvrnmph » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:35 pm

Incubus! Excellent use of existing materials. The first outfit seems like such fun. Actually, they all do. I love seeing other creations, it keeps me so inspired. How much more can I do before I leave. . . . .
( \_/)
(O.o)
(< >)
slvrnmph

Postby lazerfox » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:13 am

I love your color patterns Incubus-pantomime!
lazerfox

Postby AntiM » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:17 am

Very nice.

Smack around the flowers to be sure you can glue/secure any pieces which may become loose. Faux flora can be deceptive, all nice and sturdy and then wham! MOOP. Although I must say, these look very well crafted.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby wh..sh » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:25 am

It's beautiful... I particularly love the deep, metallic color of the face mask! It's gorgeous!
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby incubus_pantomime » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:34 am

AntiM wrote:Very nice.

Smack around the flowers to be sure you can glue/secure any pieces which may become loose. Faux flora can be deceptive, all nice and sturdy and then wham! MOOP. Although I must say, these look very well crafted.

Thanks, AntiM! I had thought about that, so I tacked them down with a needle and thread after they were glued on. Hopefully I don't become a big, MOOP-y mess!

Oh, and thank you for the comments, everyone! I get my color inspiration from Brian Froud and Amy Brown's drawings. The skirt is the result of many different incarnations of tutu skirts. I think I'm most happy with this kind, rather than the ones made strictly with tulle, because they tend to be more flow-y and allow for many different textures.

My costuming craze began last year before Halloween, when I was looking for faerie wings on the internet, and couldn't find any I thought looked "real" enough that cost less than $100. So, I made these (not taking them to BM, but I kinda wanted to show them off anyway!):

They now hang above my bed, and measure almost 5.5' at the widest point. :D
"I think perhaps love thrives on unlikely circumstance and chance : life thrives on these principles, and is life not love? And love not life?"
incubus_pantomime

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Lamplighters (thanks, guys and gals!)

PreviousNext

Return to Clothing & Playawear