Art Car Storage in the Bay Area

Planning to build and bring a mutant vehicle? Talk about your plans and recruit crew members here.

Art Car Storage in the Bay Area

Postby aliebling » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:03 am

We've been building at nimby which has been a great experience, but would love to find something cheaper for long-term storage when no daily access/work is required. Storage needs to be inside, as we're big and furry and wouldn't play well in the rain.

Any suggestions?
aliebling

Re: Art Car Storage in the Bay Area

Postby plumblove » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:24 am

Have you talked to Snook about storing it up and out of the way inside? I've seen a few cars stored that way over the years. Might be a price break for that.
plumblove

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:36 am

Could you find outdoor storage and build something over it? Other than that, I think East Alameda county. the inner bay area is likely to be quite expensive. Maybe there are still available spaces at the old navy weapon station in Alameda, that will be torn down in a few years.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby aliebling » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:45 am

Thanks for the thoughts...we'd really like to stay at nimby (much rather give them our money than some faceless self-storage place). We don't want outside storage if we can help it (fake fur and bay area weather don't play nicely) and we're not forkliftable (which would definitely help.

My guess is that, in the end, we'll bite the bullet and stay at nimby. Nice to have year round access and a good community. Gonna need another fundraiser is all!
aliebling

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:02 pm

I was suggesting that it might be cheaper to get storage that's outside then make a shelter there.
I did see the part about inside and fur.
It was just a thought.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby BetaBox » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:34 pm

American Steele?
See you in 2014
BetaBox

Postby aliebling » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:33 am

FYI, I contacted American Steel and they said they were getting out of the storage business.

If anyone knows differently, I'd love to hear about it, as they are across from my house and would be the ideal location.
aliebling

Postby hwcole » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:20 pm

i got the same reply from american steel when i checked with them last week about storage. our camp got an art car a couple months ago, and we're in the same situation (at nimby, but exploring other options just to see what's out there).

even if no one knows of specific places that would be good for art car storage, general tips on searching for warehouse space that'd fit an oversized art car would be welcome. i've never had to deal with anything storage related outside of the usual handful of boxes that take up too much space in the apartment. we're in SF, so the peninsula would be just as convenient as the east bay.
hwcole

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: The Oontz Pouch

Return to 2012 Mutant Vehicles