EZ Up Canopies

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Re: EZ Up Canopies

Postby misterdj » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:56 am

I'm still contemplating on what do for a shade structure. Last year I used the emergency blankets and that really didn't cut it. This year I bought a Eureka Sunrise 9, which is 6ft tall and 9 x 9. I live in NYC, so a monkeyhut doesn't seem possible. Anyone know what I can use as a descent shade for my size tent?
misterdj

Postby RevDusty » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:11 am

For several years, I just tented in the shade of car or truck (morning shade so I could sleep longer). But there was always a communal structure for the cooler. A friend of mine uses a battery operated fan to sleep later in the morning. Depending on your setup, you could use the emergency blankets attached to the car for cooler shade - put the cooler on bricks to raise off the playa - I'm told that helps) and use the battery operated fan for that extra sleep in the morning.
Rev. Dusty Sportswood
RevDusty

Postby dragonpilot » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:39 pm

The bcwa regional was last week and there were tons of EZ Ups...but then again there was only light rain and winds at the most two days...playa, not so much.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby AntiM » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:49 pm

Bob wrote:Awesome. JPEGs?

Sadly, no, we were doing a lot of scrambling.... although I may have one of ours as a turtle. I haven't unloaded the camera yet.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:18 pm

Remarkably, our EZ up still folded up, only minor damage to one joint which was already repaired once. Had the canopy been on, it would have ended up halfway to Idaho. It is an older one, quite heavy.

047 - Copy.JPG

That yellow frame with the silver shade cloth? Center Camp. Missed by that much. Missed our table too. Yes, it was anchored well, but we had a micro-burst during the storm.

023 - Copy.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby StevenGoodman » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:22 pm

AntiM wrote:This was during a storm with a ton of rain and winds, gusts of 44 MPH, Utah salt marsh near Grantsville.

AntiM, I thought they moved the date so they wouldn't get rain anymore!!! :)

Martini Steve
Playawaste Raiders and Megaton Bar and Grill
StevenGoodman

Postby AntiM » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:23 pm

StevenGoodman wrote:
AntiM wrote:This was during a storm with a ton of rain and winds, gusts of 44 MPH, Utah salt marsh near Grantsville.

Martini Steve

That was the idea. Baby Jesus hates us, we make him cry.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:25 pm

AntiM wrote:
StevenGoodman wrote:

Martini Steve

That was the idea. Baby Jesus hates us, we make him cry.

I'll make Baby Jesus cry!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:04 pm

"Don't pinch da baby!" 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Fiver » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:13 am

AntiM wrote:Remarkably, our EZ up still folded up, only minor damage to one joint which was already repaired once. Had the canopy been on, it would have ended up halfway to Idaho. It is an older one, quite heavy.

047 - Copy.JPG

That yellow frame with the silver shade cloth? Center Camp. Missed by that much. Missed our table too. Yes, it was anchored well, but we had a micro-burst during the storm.

023 - Copy.JPG

My easy-up survived. Mostly because it had walls on it, was staked down like crazy with rebar and multiple guide-wire tie downs, and I stood inside the walls HOLDING it for that entire storm. E-11 this year was rough weather at times. If anything it opened my eyes to what didn't happen last year on the Playa. Definitely made me re-think my camping strategy for this year's burn, especially with 500% more dust probable.
Fiver

Burning Since: 2011

Postby AntiM » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:13 am

The dust is ... the dust. You live with it.

The wind can take apart your camp. And you're far less likely to be within getting home to hold it all together distance. Be sure your food, water, sleeping area and clothes are as dust free as practical for you. Stake everything else down, never leave loose crap around camp. We even drop our camp chairs flat when we go out. A little thought and prep go a long, long way.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby Rusted Iron » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:46 pm

We have used 3 EZ ups for the infrastructure of our shade for years. Of courses they've needed some tinkering.

First, we raise the next the utility trailer, which is taller and serves as a wind block. Usually, one is raised all the way up and two are partway. All three are guyed down then covered over by a parachute. We also bring lots of plywood for wind breaks, including 1/4 sheets that go against the trailer and truck wheels to block some of the wind coming from beneath. (I keep meaning to pretty up the plywood with paint but it's never enough of a priority to do.)
Rusted Iron

Postby RedHeaven » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:57 pm

I am an EZ up loser, never got my shade shit together so I always have one out there. They all actually broke at other festivals. One year when I had a freshie (2008) What I did was I kept it at half up, did not raise the legs. STaked it down really well. My tent was just about my height so the EZup top was about 2 inches above it, It was all low and I had to bend down to get under it. I kept it like this during the day and eve when storms are most present, and lifted it at night. Its just a Ghetto way to get away with using an EZ up. They hold up much better if they are lower to the ground. Doesnt work with huge tents but if you have a small or medium one its a handy thing to do to beat the wind if you don't have any other options.
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby daft » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:30 pm

BRC is not the place and this is not the time.
daft

Postby danibel » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:05 pm

It really is too bad that the north poles are no longer made. I took one out my virgin year in 2009 and it was perfect. I think it had 8 rebar stakes and you could easily stand inside. My sister's three man tent fit in a corner with plenty of room for a kitchen and chill area. She only used regular tent stakes on her tent because the structure buffeted the heavy gusts. I think the foot print would have allowed for a pretty large tent.

I only used mine once and recently sold it to another burner. I don't need it in my current set up and I wanted to pass it on to good use. It was heavy and large to boot! I am working on something a little different that I can anchor/shade my van. Using tarps, tie downs, rebar, and emt. I don't need much, my camp brings two large pyramids which houses the main kitchen, bar area, and seating.

Monkey huts are intriguing...
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby Bob » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:15 pm

danibel wrote:Monkey huts are intriguing...

...to lower primates.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby zifra » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:31 pm

stretch80 wrote:
maryanimal wrote:
I much prefer the Car Port style shade structures (like the "Costco Car Ports"), Sturdy 1 1/4 inch poles. As long as these beasts are tied down correctly they will withstand almost anything. Unfortunately these things also weigh a fair bit. Solid design = decent weight...

The carports are rock solid if you tie them down with heavy duty ratchet ties. Do not stimp othe ties, they must be heavy load bearing. But after you retighten them the first day, you would think the structure grew right out of the ground!

Very worth the weight.

Zifra
Zifra
100'th Monkey Camp
G at 8:45
Black Rock City 2012

"Feel it, Live it, Share it!"
zifra

Postby Rice » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:53 pm

zifra wrote:
stretch80 wrote:
maryanimal wrote:
I much prefer the Car Port style shade structures (like the "Costco Car Ports"), Sturdy 1 1/4 inch poles. As long as these beasts are tied down correctly they will withstand almost anything. Unfortunately these things also weigh a fair bit. Solid design = decent weight...

The carports are rock solid if you tie them down with heavy duty ratchet ties. Do not stimp othe ties, they must be heavy load bearing. But after you retighten them the first day, you would think the structure grew right out of the ground!

Very worth the weight.

Zifra

I just added 10 additional ratchet straps and 12 T style rebar pegs to my carport kit. Going to have two ratchet straps at each corner, with one on each side post. Also ratcheting the actual metal structure together to ensure it does not vibrate apart during a wind storm. Extra pegs are just in case.

DPW designed and tested shade structures are getting messed up this year. Last night a bank of porta-potties was knocked over by a gust and one of them was totaled.
Wind.jpg

50-60MPH winds apparently as well. This is certainly not going to be like 2011 weather wise.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby laffingblonde » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:54 am

Hoolie wrote:I have seen many fail. That said, I have one that has lasted four burns, and I still occasionally use it on regular camping trips. The key is reinforcement.

This is right. The way I made ours survive the first time around (and the wind was only really bad maybe two days with nothing overly extreme)

- Get silver tarps, cut lots of little slits into these tarps. These will allow the wind to pass through. Make a lot, but don't get too crazy
- Set up EZ up and tie down with a pair of ropes in each corner. Use rebar or military surplus tent stakes to hold things down. Tie good knots
- Use motorized vehicle as a wind break. The prevailing wind moves southeast to northwest
- Use tarp with slits for roofing of your canopy. The wind will pass through. The silver will reflect the most heat possible. Tie down well and mostly tight. A little wiggle room give allows flexibility. Too loose and your tarp is now a sail.
- For added protection tie another slitted silver tarp from the EZ Up to the top of your car, providing more shade
- Bring a carpet to cover the ground for added comfort
- Check stakes and ropes every day
- Cover rebar / stakes with tennis balls / pool noodles and duct tape
- Check stakes and ropes every day

Option two that I saw last year is only set it up at half height. Put a carpet underneath and you have a nice place to lounge with a lower wind profile. Still tie down very well. It looks windy out there from everything reported. Grood luck.
believe it or not every burner from new york doesn't reside in the chity. there's all this green space up north you may've heard about

the burn didn't blow my mind. it reinforced the way i've always lived my life
laffingblonde

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Morrell » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:59 am

My neighbor from 2008....
Morrell

Burning Since: 2007

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping