String wrapped hair?

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

String wrapped hair?

Postby Alyk182 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:18 pm

I was thinking about getting my entire head string wrapped before we make the trip out. But I've never had string wrapped hair, and I'm not sure how well it would hold out there. If you're not familiar with it, it's basically just your head braided and then strings wrapped and tied-off around each braid.
I haven't seen any other discussions about this on the forum, is it because it's probably a bad idea, or maybe no one has thought of it?? I'm hoping the latter. Everyone's input is much appreciated. :]
Alyk182

Re: String wrapped hair?

Postby gaminwench » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:50 pm

Like the macrame 'tail' wraps done with embroidery thread?
That will work... I've seen both yarn and ribbon 'dos';
you can braid them in, or wrap around.
I'd suggest a thicker string... the knots will be a pain after a week in the dust, so the bigger the better.

Also, for comfort, take a spray bottle with tea tree/water solution,
use this on your scalp whenever it gets itchy...
"I'm sorry, but just the thought of a non-controversial thread on ePlaya is controversial." jk
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby Alyk182 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:06 am

Thank you!! Tea tree oil! Oh how miserable I would have been without it!

I'm especially excited because I never color my hair, and now I can have as many colors and as many variations possible!!! yeeee!
Alyk182

Postby skorpiyostyle » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:04 pm

I did this to my friends hair last year by braiding yarn into her hair, it held up well on the playa but she said it took her a couple hours to get out afterwards.
skorpiyostyle

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Adri » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:13 pm

I'm planning to do this with silk ribbon (so hopefully it will be less of a pain in the ass to get out afterwards) and silicone braid rubber bands. I'm hoping this will keep my (long, fine, curly) hair from immediately turning into dreads after about a minute of dusty wind.

My biggest problem with hair wraps, traditionally, has been keeping them from sliding out, which is why I'm using the silicone bands to anchor them.

This will be my first year, so either it will all fall apart and I'll spend the week with my hair in buns, it will hold up and be impossible to remove and I'll shave my head, or it will be awesome and I'll be hailed as a hero of hair care.

WE SHALL SEE
Image ...accept the fact that this city is headed for a disaster of Biblical proportions. -- Dr Peter Venkman, Ghostbusters
Adri

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: MacGyvers' Union

Postby gaminwench » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:25 pm

If you anchor the *ribbon, yarn, whatever* at the top of your braid, starting under the braid and aligning with the two 'outside' hair sections, it will be secure.
You don't have to braid more than 2 or 3 twists for anchoring;
if you're doing wraps, just leave the material out of the braid once you've anchored it.

Rubber bands will most likely break after a few days in the heat (this has been my experience).
"I'm sorry, but just the thought of a non-controversial thread on ePlaya is controversial." jk
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby Adri » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:56 am

Thanks for the tip, gaminwench! I think the silicone bands should hold their integrity, but anchoring the ribbons in the braid at the top and bottom is a brilliant idea, too.
Image ...accept the fact that this city is headed for a disaster of Biblical proportions. -- Dr Peter Venkman, Ghostbusters
Adri

Postby Alyk182 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:02 pm

I figure it'll take a few hours to put them in, it should take about half that to remove them, and if it takes less than that, well they probably won't hold the entire week.
Heeding your advice, and not using rubber bands either. That way I wont have to worry about anything other than my hair and the wrap.

But what about washing my scalp? I planned on doing it at least once throughout the weekend, or doing a rinse of vinegar and water. Will i not need that with the tea tree oil?
Alyk182

Postby Adri » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:59 pm

Post-burn update/notes for this year:

The silk ribbon worked great both as hair wraps and braiding into my hair. I did about halfway down each strand of hair and left trailing ends and loved it. I'll be doing it again with rainbow ribbons made out of recycled silk clothes, and probably adding in beaded/braided hair falls as well.

A few things I learned:

1) Even the silicone bands broke and became moop. DO NOT USE THESE. I was picking up after myself for two days before I replaced them all with regular (colorful) hair bands. I still found broken silicone bands when we were doing post-burn moop sweet on Tuesday. BAD BAD BAD

2) They took a few hours to put in and many hours to take out (but I have long, fine, curly hair). If you aren't driving, you can use the trip to the playa to put them in, but you'll want to have access to a trash bag & sink when you take them out. All the hair that didn't fall out over the course of your trip will come out at once.

3) I washed my hair and scalp as normal with them in, no problems
Adri

Return to Clothing & Playawear