Rebar Diameter

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Rebar Diameter

Postby gibson_ » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:06 am

What size rebar do you guys use?

I've been using 3/8", bent into a candy cane, and this year I'm going to be using the same, but with a hook welded to the top (see attached)[1].

I am seeing a lot of people recommend 1/2", though.

Why? This seems like overkill for anything other than *very* large structures. The way that these are being loaded (if you're doing it right, meaning the rebar is in the playa at approximately a 45 degree angle, and is loaded perpendicularly), means that the surface area of the rebar is kindof a moot point.

Your load shouldn't be trying to pull your rebar out of the ground...

Anyway, I'm not really seeing a definitive answer anywhere on the nets, just "use rebar", with some people suggesting 3/8" and some people suggesting 1/4".

What have your experiences been?

[1] The reason for this over a candy cane is: this gives me a flat surface on the top to pound on with a sledge. Pounding on candy canes ends up translating some of your force into a bending action in the rebar; no bueno.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gibson_

Re: Rebar Diameter

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:10 am

If it's long enough it will be fine.

The only problem is that it may bend instead of penitrating the hard underclay that holds everything secure. :shock:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby lemur » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:20 am

rebar?

if yer gonna be overdoing it and using rebar for yer coleman tent at least you can go hardcore and use 5/8th threaded rod.

...of course, it weighs a fuck ton.. and probably doesnt hold that much better than some well driven MSR groundhog stakes.... less than a pound weight for 12 msr groundhogs... and uhh over 12 pounds for the threaded rod ones..

of course, if you have a bigger structure.. those tent stakes might not be so useful..

but.. ..theres probably something better out there than rebar for such structures..
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:36 am

Anathema! Anathema! Rebar is as sacred as the Holy Time Stamp can make it!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby justfred » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:57 am

If all you're holding down is a tent, you don't need rebar. Use large tentstakes - I use military 12" v-stakes for a 12x12 large canvas tent, but 8" stakes would probably hold down a small tent just fine. Not the crappy aluminum stakes that came with the tent; not those ubiquitous sharp-edged silver metal ones either. 10" heavy nails, with a washer, work pretty well too, as do tent stakes that are similar.

If you use rebar, go 1/2" - smaller than that tends to bend when you hammer it. Any rebar that isn't buried beneath the ground is doing no good (and would really like to stab someone in the shin, or the chest). Loops welded to the top work best. Candy-cane rebar just bounces when you hammer on it. 1/2" with 90" bends at the top work okay.

Be sure to bring a good hammer. I use a 2lb hand sledge. And something to pull the stuff back out; I use a 2x4 and a tiedown strap.
What goes around, comes around.
justfred

Postby gibson_ » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:59 am

I'm actually holding down a 8' radius, 2V dome.
gibson_

Postby Bob » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:16 am

I've got a rough guide to stakes in my [ahem] Rebar FAQ. Need to update it for those newfangled Squilliam Fancyson stakes.

"Rebar" FAQ is meant with irony, btw.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby gibson_ » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:31 am

Well well, fancy meeting you here, Bob :) -- I've been reading your guide all morning, and actually just linked it on some other forums for people to read.

You have a table near the bottom talking about stake sizes... So you're saying that you need 1/2" for anything larger than a small tent?

Is there something I'm missing about why you'd need something so thick? I'd think that anything short of a mooring cable would snap before the rebar would.
gibson_

Postby Bob » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:44 am

Takes into account the ability and comprehension of your average buhrnur, eg turning a 12 inch piece of steel they grab off the shelf into a six inch pretzel. Like I've said, needs some revision.

The surface doesn't look much different from the last number of years. I see no reason why 9 inch military stakes, or 3/8 x 12 inch rod, driven just below the surface wouldn't work for an average tent and small awning. Not surprised to read about flying carports in any year.

Bob

Postby gibson_ » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:49 am

Haha, good point.

I'm thinking of putting together a "gibson's guide to guying and gripping the playa". If I do, I'll have to run it past you first.

Awesome section on knots, by the way. I'm printing that bit off.
gibson_

Postby Bob » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:29 am

I try to use whatever I have in the boneyard, but those military stakes are less than a buck a piece and only 3 oz.

Bob

Postby dragonpilot » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:41 pm

Are your frickin' tents empty? Don't forget, you've got about 200 lbs + of gear in there...stakes + gear = anchored tent.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Return to Shelter & Camping