Will my car get stuck in the dust?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Will my car get stuck in the dust?

Postby skorpiyostyle » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:02 pm

Maybe this is a stupid question, but I have always driven an SUV or a jeep to the playa. I am debating taking my jetta out there but I am worried that it will get stuck or something...
skorpiyostyle

Burning Since: 2010

Re: Will my car get stuck in the dust?

Postby LGP » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:14 pm

I'm wondering the same thing! Some of the rumors around San Francisco are getting out of control (about the dust)... I've heard from some people that the playa dust is 2 feet deep and it's not even worth bringing a bike. I have a feeling some people are blowing it out of proportion because they're not going and trying to make themselves feel better. Regardless, It'd be nice if HQ could give us an update the situation and whether or not our cars will get stuck after they've been sitting in deep playa dust for a week.

(FYI---if you're a first time burner---this has never been an issue before)
LGP

Postby misfit » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:20 pm

not an issue. but if for some reason you do get stuck, there will be 50k burners with 50k different ways to get you unstuck.
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.
misfit

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:21 pm

Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby MikeGyver » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:26 pm

If you look at the burning blog you see DPW setting up the trash fence and driving a big bread truck, if something that heavy doesn't get stuck I don't think your Jetta will. As Misfit said, even if you do get stuck there will be people there to help get you out.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
MikeGyver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby lemur » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:29 pm

all signs show a dust year... 2 or 3 posts on the burning man blog mentioning the extra dustyness.. some tweeets on their twitter thing..

small piles of dust can form around stuff... you aint gonna get stuck ;-P
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Jackass » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:15 pm

skorpiyostyle wrote:Maybe this is a stupid question, but I have always driven an SUV or a jeep to the playa. I am debating taking my jetta out there but I am worried that it will get stuck or something...

You will get stuck. Don't forget your chains, BLM has and will be issuing citations if you are caught without chains. DO NOT remove the chains from your trunk until you are at your camp and PARKED

chains.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't worry, it'll get weird...
Jackass

Postby Bob » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:45 pm

Not unless you build a friggin ship on top of it.

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:03 pm

misfit wrote:not an issue. but if for some reason you do get stuck, there will be 50k burners with 50k 70k different ways to get you unstuck.

fixed
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby stsnider » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:44 pm

No, you will not get stuck if the dust stays dry. If it rains, then we will all be stuck and have to live on the playa....forever! I've been on the playa in May when it was spongy in our Toyota Matrix (2-wheel drive). It was no problem. See ya out there.
stsnider

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:32 am

Eric wrote:
misfit wrote:not an issue. but if for some reason you do get stuck, there will be 50k burners with 50k 70k different ways to get you unstuck.

fixed

Okay, I'm worried now. I'm not sure I have one way to get them unstuck. I sure don't have two. Am I relying too much on the generosity of the community if I allow someone else to offer a second, third or forth idea?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby FlyingMonkey » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:52 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
Eric wrote:

fixed

Okay, I'm worried now. I'm not sure I have one way to get them unstuck. I sure don't have two. Am I relying too much on the generosity of the community if I allow someone else to offer a second, third or forth idea?

I have 4 so you can borrow one. I get to keep the one that involves the use of explosives though. Sorry.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.
FlyingMonkey

Postby teardropper » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:50 pm

I just took my old motorhome 10 miles east of Black Rock City, maybe 20 miles across the playa, where, yes, DPW et al have some very big machines. And are steadily building BLC. It's soft, oh yeah, we are all so fucked, and of course, so blessed, because we are gonna see what happens when you scrape 45 miles of roads into an already soft playa. It is going to be magnificent. Get ready.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Return to Shelter & Camping