Offering on-playa EL wire soldering and repair

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

Offering on-playa EL wire soldering and repair

Postby percussivepaul » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:30 pm

Hi folks!

This year I'll be bringing my butane-powered soldering iron and a box full of tools and bits, and I'll be hanging a shingle at my camp, Dark Sparkle, at 8:45 and C. If you have good EL wire, a good driver, fresh batteries, and you still aren't glowing, come see me and I'll see what I can do. It seems fairly common for connections to break out there if poorly soldered or perhaps yanked too hard (happened to two people in my camp last year) and I will have all the parts necessary to do a field repair and re-make connections. I can also add an extension to your connector if you want more length between the EL wire and the driver.

I will be lounging in my camp's common areas most afternoons and I go by "Paul" or my playa name, "Leonardo". Early afternoon is probably the best time to find me.

See you in the dust!
percussivepaul

Re: Offering on-playa EL wire soldering and repair

Postby gyre » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:50 am

Nice idea
gyre

Postby Bexx » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:31 am

I might come find you.. I just busted a connection on one of mine. I've no soldering iron, nor copper tape.
Bexx

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp _____ (cock and balls)

Postby darius » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:24 pm

Hey there,

Such a great idea, thanks for offering this to the community. I would love to learn how to do this kinda stuff for myself, i'll definitely try to stop by sometime. This would also make for a great workshop; electricity for total f'n novices! ;-)

cheers,
d.
darius

Burning Since: 2009

Postby LUX INCULTA » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:12 am

I just came to post about offering the same service and noticed your thread! Hope I'm not stealing your thunder here; with a service like this, more is better.

Nosefish offered this service last year and I volunteered a few days. This year, I'm joining them to once again provide EL wire repair to keep people lit up out there. We've got a service dome, several soldering stations and hopefully several volunteers, and all materials we should need to fix even more serious EL wire problems. Last year, the booth had quite a line for repair at times, especially towards the end of the week, so it's great that the load can be distributed across the city. We'll be at 2:30 Inner Circle, right across from Center Camp, and the booth will be staffed from noon to 4pm daily.

Paul, if you've got anyone with a problem beyond what you can handle, please send them our way. Also, if you run out of butane or materials, feel free to volunteer your services with us; we'd love to have you.

And if anyone else with EL wire experience (or just basic soldering skills, really) wants to volunteer, please stop by for as much or as little time as you can offer. We've got all the tools and materials; all we need is your magnificent brain and steady hands.
Last edited by LUX INCULTA on Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
LUX INCULTA

Camp Name: Risley/Nosefish

Postby percussivepaul » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:39 am

Lux, I have no idea how many people will find me and wonder if I perhaps might get overwhelmed, being just one guy, so I am happy to know where to send people.

Er, explain your address for me? Is Inner Circle the road immediately around Center Camp? 2:30 goes nowhere near there. Is there a mini-clock using Center Camp as the base to determine addresses on Inner Circle? (Amusingly despite four burns I very rarely seem to spend time in the "middle").
percussivepaul

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:43 am

percussivepaul wrote:Er, explain your address for me? Is Inner Circle the road immediately around Center Camp? 2:30 goes nowhere near there. Is there a mini-clock using Center Camp as the base to determine addresses on Inner Circle? (Amusingly despite four burns I very rarely seem to spend time in the "middle").

You pretty much got it. This circle is now known as Rod's Road, after the guy who drew the first city plans, and continued to do so up until his death last year. Maybe its sort of like that little mini circle for the seconds that used to be on fancy watches... In the pre-quartz, pre-digital era...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby LUX INCULTA » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:44 am

You figured it out: Inner Circle is its own clock, we're 2:30 on that clock. A better way to phrase it might be the north corner of Inner Circle and A.
LUX INCULTA

Camp Name: Risley/Nosefish

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:48 am

But, but there are no corners on a circle!
Logic circuits over loaded!
I can't.... c--cc--ca

*collapses*
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby danibel » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:57 am

percussivepaul wrote:Hi folks!

This year I'll be bringing my butane-powered soldering iron and a box full of tools and bits, and I'll be hanging a shingle at my camp, Dark Sparkle, at 8:45 and C. If you have good EL wire, a good driver, fresh batteries, and you still aren't glowing, come see me and I'll see what I can do. It seems fairly common for connections to break out there if poorly soldered or perhaps yanked too hard (happened to two people in my camp last year) and I will have all the parts necessary to do a field repair and re-make connections. I can also add an extension to your connector if you want more length between the EL wire and the driver.

I will be lounging in my camp's common areas most afternoons and I go by "Paul" or my playa name, "Leonardo". Early afternoon is probably the best time to find me.

See you in the dust!

Thank you for offering this fine service. If I can't figure out what is wrong with my bike El, I will try to swing by. Unfortunately, I think it's the driver gone bad.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby percussivepaul » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:08 pm

I'd encourage you to go to Nosefish first! It will probably be faster, and they have set opening hours and everything, whereas I'm just a dude who might still be asleep or out on a mission or adventure when you show up. Though I'm happy to help if you do manage to find me.
percussivepaul

Return to Power & Illumination