Underwear

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Underwear

Postby Jared » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:45 am

Any advice for underwear? Are some types of underwear better for the playa than others? Do you bring 1 or 2 pairs per day?

Normally when hiking I wear polyester boxer-briefs with an anti-microbial treatment. Camping in the cold I wear polyester or wool long underwear. If I go commando all day I need an anti-chafing balm like BodyGlide.
Jared

Re: Underwear

Postby misfit » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:51 am

sounds like you've answered your question Jared, now go make me a sandwich....
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.
misfit

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:09 pm

:lol:

. . . One hears lots of love for Bodyglide as an anti-chafe out there, Jared. Bring it. A little powder can be nice too. Don't forget lemon juice or vinegar on baby wipes to counteract the alkali dust. Bagged baby wipes double-bagged in a plastic freezer bag will stay wet much longer than boxed wipes.

Honestly, I bring lots of underwear (no polyester) but I'm fussy that way. Some skip it altogether and just wear skirts, kilts, pajama pants and other light billowy clothes for day. And warm stuff for night. Long underwear can be nice then. I hear a lot of good about silk long underwear as a layer.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby ygmir » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:20 pm

Savannah wrote::lol:

. . . One hears lots of love for Bodyglide as an anti-chafe out there, Jared. Bring it. A little powder can be nice too. Don't forget lemon juice or vinegar on baby wipes to counteract the alkali dust. Bagged baby wipes double-bagged in a plastic freezer bag will stay wet much longer than boxed wipes.

Honestly, I bring lots of underwear (no polyester) but I'm fussy that way. Some skip it altogether and just wear skirts, kilts, pajama pants and other light billowy clothes for day. And warm stuff for night. Long underwear can be nice then. I hear a lot of good about silk long underwear as a layer.

I've always heard it's good to layer in long silk underwear. :twisted:
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:48 pm

One word: cotton.
I'm out in the elements 10-12 hrs/day working. Cotton unders are the way for me. and no kilts, skirts or sarongs - I need loose cotton pants.
RobbiDobbs
Chief Poopervisor of the Pottie Project
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Postby kiss-o-matic » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:07 am

robbidobbs wrote:One word: cotton.
I'm out in the elements 10-12 hrs/day working. Cotton unders are the way for me. and no kilts, skirts or sarongs - I need loose cotton pants.
RobbiDobbs
Chief Poopervisor of the Pottie Project

I'm in the opposite environment of the desert (nasty humid concrete jungle) but I chaffed the fuck out of myself after a long jog the other day. Totally red on one side of my package. I'm taking tons of baby powder... and a lotion I've yet to have decided on. I was wearing cotton drawers. Maybe they offered a bit too much support. But they were still soft.

Long story short: be prepared.
kiss-o-matic

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Bin Noddin » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:57 pm

cotton tighty-whiteys worked for me - too much chafing with boxers
"I have gobs of mustard and ketchup on the front of my shirt, which does not make me a hot dog." Sam A. McKeen
Bin Noddin

Postby silkrock » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:28 pm

boxer briefs are good. I like sexy shinny underwear. You may get some disapproving looks but hey if your sexy let it shine!
Have a Love-A-Fair with Life!

Silkrock
silkrock

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Dilated peoples

Postby chica63 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:39 pm

My first year on at BRC too (YAY!) and I was underwear shopping today. In my every day life I wear nothing but thongs but I'm also not hiking through a desert in 100+ heat! I'm planning on wearing mostly flowy, breathable stuff: sarongs, saris, light gausey things, so I'm thinking I'm going to bring some mens cotton boxer briefs to wear underneath. My chunky thighs need fabric between them to prevent chaffing and those man panties are SO comfy!

Also, way before I ever heard of or knew about Bodyglide my aunt taught me to carry a small, travel size stick of deoderant to rub on the areas that chaffe. The cheaper and greasier the better. I actually like the Dove cucumber stick the best. You can get it in the Target travel section for a buck and it's much quicker and easier to reapply than liquids.
Dreamers have all the fun.
chica63

Postby tahiti_treat » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:31 am

Don't bring brand-new underwear! Test it first. Ride your bike in it. Last year I bought a bunch of cute, comfy-looking booty short type underpants to wear. When I got to the playa I realized that comfy-LOOKING does not necessarily equal comfy-FEELING. :(
tahiti_treat

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: NoTown

Postby delle » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:42 am

I've always been a huge fan of this particular look (you'll know what I mean)

He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby Savannah » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:48 pm

tahiti_treat wrote:Don't bring brand-new underwear! Test it first. Ride your bike in it. Last year I bought a bunch of cute, comfy-looking booty short type underpants to wear. When I got to the playa I realized that comfy-LOOKING does not necessarily equal comfy-FEELING. :(

I'm with you. Ideally, I aim to wash and wear at least once almost any socks and underwear before bringing them to the playa, for comfort-testing and to get any factory dyes/bleach/dust out of 'em. It's very Burn-y to bring a bag of brand-new socks and live out of that bag, but I love almost-new (if I have a choice).

It's almost like Back to School! Time to buy socks and underwear. And vodka! And silver lamé!

Savannah

Postby bronwyn » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:20 am

Agreed with the testing before you go... this year I'm bringing my ExOfficio underwear with me. Absolutely love them already, and suspect they will be just as awesome on the playa. Worth checking out.
bronwyn

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Fusion Valley

Postby LAbatman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:47 pm

When about 1-2am rolls around my underwear (thong) usually comes off anyway which leaves me with only my cape (BATMAN). Most people are cool with it but one dude (forget camp) was being a punk saying I'm going to streak his sofa. I got in his face and that was the end of that.

but seriously, BM started at a nude beach, underwear or ANY wear is strictly optional!
LAbatman

Burning Since: 1998
Camp Name: mine

Postby LAbatman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:52 pm

I reread some of these posts and I find them disturbing. So much thought being put into "underwear" - the fabric, design, ect ect. What the F*** happened to BM???? Wheres the spontaneity??? The free expression???? What happened????
LAbatman

Postby trilobyte » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:54 pm

It's entirely possible that many participants are into the arts and culture and creative expression, and not just the bottom-feeder frat party thing.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby maladroit » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:58 pm

LAbatman wrote:When about 1-2am rolls around my underwear (thong) usually comes off anyway which leaves me with only my cape (BATMAN). Most people are cool with it but one dude (forget camp) was being a punk saying I'm going to streak his sofa. I got in his face and that was the end of that.

but seriously, BM started at a nude beach, underwear or ANY wear is strictly optional!

Is it wrong to not want your sofa smudged with fudge? Or bike seat, or tent pole...the ceiling, good lord get down from there Batman....
maladroit

Postby Bob » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:29 pm

Savannah wrote:. . . One hears lots of love for Bodyglide as an anti-chafe out there, Jared. Bring it. A little powder can be nice too. Don't forget lemon juice or vinegar on baby wipes to counteract the alkali dust. Bagged baby wipes double-bagged in a plastic freezer bag will stay wet much longer than boxed wipes.

Leaving aside the salad-dressing-versus-alkali myth, why don't you ever suggest soap & water to get the clay off, and a spritz of crotch-rot spray?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby CapSmashy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:05 am

Bob wrote:Leaving aside the salad-dressing-versus-alkali myth, why don't you ever suggest soap & water to get the clay off, and a spritz of crotch-rot spray?

Perhaps some people do not want to deal with making unnecessary grey water filled with soap when a quick wipe down with a wipe will work just fine.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby CapSmashy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:13 am

LAbatman wrote:When about 1-2am rolls around my underwear (thong) usually comes off anyway which leaves me with only my cape (BATMAN). Most people are cool with it but one dude (forget camp) was being a punk saying I'm going to streak his sofa. I got in his face and that was the end of that.

Sure it is. Be naked and free and have a great time.

However, your "right" to naked freedom and experience ends when it intrudes into someone else's experience, such as planting your naked, shit covered ass onto someone else's furniture.

The "punk" in your above story, that I don't actually believe happened to begin with you, was you. A requirement at every nudist place I have ever seen is to carry a small towel. Why? So you had something to sit on when using the furniture. It addresses a basic sanitary issue that involves your naked shit ass on communal space.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby ygmir » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:56 am

These:

CapSmashy wrote:

However, your "right" to naked freedom and experience ends when it intrudes into someone else's experience, such as planting your naked, shit covered ass onto someone else's furniture.

The "punk" in your above story, that I don't actually believe happened to begin with you, was you. A requirement at every nudist place I have ever seen is to carry a small towel. Why? So you had something to sit on when using the furniture. It addresses a basic sanitary issue that involves your naked shit ass on communal space.

trilobyte wrote:It's entirely possible that many participants are into the arts and culture and creative expression, and not just the bottom-feeder frat party thing.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Savannah » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:53 am

Bob wrote:
Savannah wrote:. . . One hears lots of love for Bodyglide as an anti-chafe out there, Jared. Bring it. A little powder can be nice too. Don't forget lemon juice or vinegar on baby wipes to counteract the alkali dust. Bagged baby wipes double-bagged in a plastic freezer bag will stay wet much longer than boxed wipes.

Leaving aside the salad-dressing-versus-alkali myth, why don't you ever suggest soap & water to get the clay off, and a spritz of crotch-rot spray?

If soap, water and deodorant don't go without saying, no one is going to start now. :shock:

Savannah

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:02 am

At a certain point, you have to see how you are trying to exorcize your anxiety with over-analyzing these minutiae.

Just shut up and jump!

Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby LAbatman » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:39 pm

CapSmashy wrote:

It's that kind of talk "shit covered ass" that starts physical confrontations and I seriously doubt you would say that to my face
LAbatman

Postby aserendipity » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:02 pm

Caution !
last year I wore a long white skirt and was quite shocked when sometime later while walking like a frog I realized that I had seriously burned my kootchy
apparently the sun radiated off the playa
now considering silk for another try
Aurelia
aserendipity

Postby ygmir » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:18 pm

LAbatman wrote:
CapSmashy wrote:

It's that kind of talk "shit covered ass" that starts physical confrontations and I seriously doubt you would say that to my face

Smashy is right!! it is common practice and courtesy, to sit on a towel if nude.
no one wants to check your ass, but, we don't know who's a good wiper, and who isn't. Most places, will ask/tell you to sit on something..........and, don't take it personal......just a good practice and polite.
I'd be very careful, with any aggression, especially with Smashy........he's a prince of a man, but I'd hate to see him "riled".......and being a slight and demure many myself, I just see it as pure respect, to follow your hosts wishes......but then again, I'm not of the size or skills, to be an "IN YOUR FACE" type person.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby maladroit » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:23 pm

It shouldn't matter anyway, because LAbatman is wearing a cape. He would, of course, sit on his own cape rather than bunching it up behind him?

One should note that LAbatman has not once denied the possibility of leaving a streak, merely threatened violence to those who don't want a free stool sample.
maladroit

Postby Foxfur » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:44 pm

LAbatman wrote:
CapSmashy wrote:

If it weren't for the fact that you can't attend this year due to spending your child's food, clothing, and health care money on a 40ft RV and getting slammed by the judge for it, I would LOVE to see you say that to Smashy's face, LOVE IT!!!
God would that be satisfying.
I'd love to see you snivel your way out of that one.
You're one shitass that really doesn't deserve to be out there.

Take it easy, Shitty.
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: 404 Village Not Found

Postby piehole » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:52 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:At a certain point, you have to see how you are trying to exorcize your anxiety with over-analyzing these minutiae.

Just shut up and jump!

I like everything about this post
Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
piehole

Postby maladroit » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:55 pm

:!: Warning :!:

Foxfur is capable of sick burns that don't involve propane!
maladroit

Next

Return to Clothing & Playawear