First Timer from NYC

First Timer from NYC

Postby Rajan » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:36 pm

Hello Burners,

Hope you are well. I have just bought a BM ticket and this my first time to burning man. I have been to many regional parties since 2009 but this year I have finally taken the
steps to experience the playa. I'm thinking of getting ticket to Reno (RNO) for Aug 27, 2012 and back Sept 3rd, 2012.

I do not mind sharing rental cars/RV's/food/time at playa. I've been living in NYC for more than 15 years now. Work as a financial consultant. I'm also a ex-professional jazz-modern dancer/choreographer. I recently finished my yoga teacher's training in India and love to share/teach the pranayam (breathing yoga technique for better living). My other favorite activities are vinyasa yoga, urban rebounding, pilates & kickboxing. I'm well traveled, positive attitude, easy going, self aware and content but ambitious.

I would really appreciate if I can get some tips and help. Mostly looking for a good camp where they provide some meals and showers. Also ride from the airport and since I'm coming from NYC I need to get supplies on the way also.

Thanks in advance.
Rajan
Rajan

Burning Since: 2012

Re: First Timer from NYC

Postby Dr. Pyro » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:08 pm

If you fly into Sacramento the Budget/AVIS dealership downtown is very burner friendly. If you're going via Reno and need to spend the night, check out the Barbie Death Camp Hotel Deal. Either way, be prepared to have a most interesting experience.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Savannah » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:14 pm

Hi Rajan!

I noticed that these nice folks are looking for someone to help share their RV & costs. I don't think they have a camp, but a theme camp is totally optional, and an RV is plenty of support for the event. You can visit theme camps all day with all the free time you save not helping a camp operate. :)

viewtopic.php?f=284&t=54706

Best of luck, and welcome to the board.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Rajan » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:02 am

Thanks Savannah and Dr Pyro. I appreciate your message.

For now I'm just looking for a good camp where I can purchase the meal plans and showers. Also ride from the airport and since I'm coming from NYC I need to get supplies/bike on the way also.

I have heard of Flame bus? Is it okay to use the service.
Rajan

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:47 am

Welcome to eplaya.

Camps are more about what you bring to the table and how good a fit you are than what they provide.

Although it's a bit late in the game, go through the list of theme camps and apply to any that feel like they would be a good fit for you. I think there is a theme camp recruiting thread on the boards here iirc.

You might also want to consider camping solo your first time. Explore various camps and it will help you make a good choice for next year. Bringing your own food and shower is really not that big a deal.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Savannah » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:55 am

Yes--as Drawingablank says, most camps are not operating from a standpoint of what they can do for their own campers, as much as:
1) what they can offer the city, and 2) finding the Burners who will help them do that. You'll probably do some work and pay a fee. In return, you get some creature comforts, etc.

Here is the 2012 Theme Camps forum.
viewforum.php?f=283

Write compatible camps a nice letter about why you fit with their mission.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Rajan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:27 am

Thanks Drawingablank and Savannah for your comments. I appreciate :-)
Rajan

Postby Burnetz » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:04 pm

Hey Rajan,

Are you still looking for accommodation and a ride to BRC?
We are 2 guys from New York, one a first timer, looking for RV-mates. We have an RV with a capacity of 5 people and for now we are only 2.
We will get to SFO on the 25th, do all the shopping and most likely get to the dessert on the 26th. We will return to SFO on the 4th.
If this fits your schedule, let's talk and take it from there.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best,
Christoph
Burnetz

Postby FeetOfClay » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:50 pm

I'm also a ex-professional jazz-modern dancer/choreographer. I recently finished my yoga teacher's training in India and love to share/teach the pranayam (breathing yoga technique for better living). My other favorite activities are vinyasa yoga, urban rebounding, pilates & kickboxing. I'm well traveled, positive attitude, easy going, self aware and content but ambitious.

Rajan--u should stop by Camp Contact, located at 6:30 and D, for some dance and movement arts. The camp is focused on Contact Improvisation, but also does yoga and other dance styles. I am teaching a beginner's Butoh workshop there on Wed 11 am during the event.

Plus, i am also a NY burner, LOng Island rather than NYC, and a first time too.

friend me on FB:
facebook.com/adriennespins
What is this quintessence of dust?
FeetOfClay

Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:47 pm

FeetOfClay wrote:Rajan--u should stop by Camp Contact, located at 6:30 and D, for some dance and movement arts. The camp is focused on Contact Improvisation, but also does yoga and other dance styles.

Hey, do you happen to know if a fellow named Chris is coming from Sacramento? That's where he was last year.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby iv040908 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:02 pm

Hi there! :) i'm as well fist time burner and looking for someone to get to BRC from NY, im really good driver, would really apriciate if you know anyone who is looking for someone to share drive and all other road expenses...please email iv040908@gmail.com or just reply on the forum. wish everybody a happy BURN :)

Thanks Igor
iv040908

Postby FeetOfClay » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:19 am

Hey, do you happen to know if a fellow named Chris is coming from Sacramento? That's where he was last year.

Fishy: I dunno whether Chris will be there or not--don't really know anyone in Camp Contact, and since this is my first year, don't even know that many Burners :)

Just stop by Camp Contact (around 6:15 and D) to look for him, and say HI

I will be camping next door at Anonymous Village
What is this quintessence of dust?
FeetOfClay

Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:01 am

FeetOfClay wrote:

Fishy: I dunno whether Chris will be there or not--don't really know anyone in Camp Contact, and since this is my first year, don't even know that many Burners :)

Just stop by Camp Contact (around 6:15 and D) to look for him, and say HI

I will be camping next door at Anonymous Village

It was a "well I'll check thing" rather than a vital need. I should have his email here somewhere.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Return to Introduce Yourself!