Sun path for BRC 2012

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Re: Sun path for BRC 2012

Postby Fufa » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:03 pm

skippy3k wrote:
Fufa wrote:I just printed out Badger's lovely diagram and spent 15 minutes working out the "best" camp shade orientations considering all these factors. Thanks so much for this!

I did too. I ended up doing "Hmmm...this will work. Wait....no, this is better. Wait....if the sun is here, then should be here. Wait....everyone else will be here too. What if....awww, forget it. I'll just see where I end up."

Though I am curious as to what you arrived at for being "best"?

I guess it's a little easier for me since I am placed in a theme camp.

If I got my angles all correct, it works out to something like this. Our shade is an arched tunnel (or a ribcage as I like to think of it), so the right and left sides go to the ground with tarping. The back wall (top on the diagram) is a sunblocking tarp, and the front is open. This should but our entrance facing the sun at lunch time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fufa

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Lonesomebri » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:16 pm

You know Fufa, I also just worked out the same perfect shade placement going by the sun/wind diagram.....so it looks like we're going to end up in the same tent.
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:27 pm

Well, I hope that killeen and snowball don't eat each other like the calico cat and gingham dog.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Fufa » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:25 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:You know Fufa, I also just worked out the same perfect shade placement going by the sun/wind diagram.....so it looks like we're going to end up in the same tent.

Haha, funny how that happens...
Fufa

Postby garyt » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:29 pm

Fufa, did you want wind blowing through/into your shade? I have my back wall facing sound and the opening north so that the "prevailing wind" does not blow too much dust into my area. With that though, I get very little breeze and it will heat up and I've got have a swamp cooler.
garyt

Postby Fufa » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:04 pm

My tarp is knitted aluminet, so dust can still go through it. I won't be worrying too much about keeping dust down. I went with the idea that because my shade walls are sloped on the sides, it might throw some of the wind over it if it hits the sides at a diagonal. Don't quote me on that though, it's mostly just a logical guesstimate.

My big concern is keeping the tent cool, it was toasty one year when I inadvertently backed it onto the wall facing the morning sun.
Fufa

Postby BBadger » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:11 am

skippy3k wrote:
Fufa wrote:I just printed out Badger's lovely diagram and spent 15 minutes working out the "best" camp shade orientations considering all these factors. Thanks so much for this!

I did too. I ended up doing "Hmmm...this will work. Wait....no, this is better. Wait....if the sun is here, then should be here. Wait....everyone else will be here too. What if....awww, forget it. I'll just see where I end up."

Though I am curious as to what you arrived at for being "best"?

Before I considered the wind direction, I had the sun-blocking side of the shade structures facing about 10:00AM, as that's about where I want full shade when I sleep in the morning. However, that would give a direct path for wind to go through the shade structure (a monkeyhut). I'm not sure what the camp layout is yet though, so maybe we can position a vehicle or some other shade structure to reduce the wind blowing stuff into the hut--or just live with it.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Bob » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:40 am

Yow.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby captain mcguiver » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:32 pm

Who wants a Laminated Sun/wind path map? Let me know where you are camped! I'll try and be at the Cooler Convention as well.
captain mcguiver

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: XaraLustmonkeysPlayaQBatCntryBunyMethLab

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping