Re: Screwed by STEP - What to do now?

Postby lemur » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:14 am

stop going to burning man
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby FlyingMonkey » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:21 am

Seriously? Just about every other post here is “I need a ticket”. Not knowing your particular situation, my advice would be to not buy more tickets than you need. Of course you may have extenuating circumstances that were out of your control that caused you to be stuck with an extra ticket. But that extra ticket could be in the hand of someone that wants to go who doesn’t have a one yet. If you check out your regional groups (most, if not all have e-mail lists & SpaceBook profiles). I’m sure you can find someone who needs one. Offer it at face value on Gregslist. I hear they look great frammed. Except for those staples that greatly diminish their value to collectors :-)
Last edited by FlyingMonkey on Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.
FlyingMonkey

Postby Marscrumbs » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:22 am

Scalping didn't work out?
Marscrumbs

Postby trilobyte » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:30 am

There were never any guarantees that tickets would be sold, it was always contingent on there being buyers for the tickets that were contributed.

Merging this to the post-STEP catch-all thread.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:31 am

FlyingMonkey wrote:Seriously? Just about every other post here is “I need a ticket”. Not knowing your particular situation, my advice would be to not buy more tickets than you need. Of course you may have extenuating circumstances that were out of your control that caused you to be stuck with an extra ticket. But that extra ticket could be in the hand of someone that wants to go who doesn’t have a one yet. If you check out your regional groups (most, if not all have e-mail lists & SpaceBook profiles). I’m sure you can find someone who needs one. Offer it at face value on Gregslist. I hear they look great frammed. Except for those staples that greatly diminish their value to collectors :-)

STEP tickets are non-transferable.. period.

..and come guys.. because STEP tickets are non-transferable from the start, this is most likely not a scalping situation.

Many, many people are stuck with extra STEP tickets for one reason or another. There's no recourse and you're SOL if you can't show up to the gate to claim them in person. It sucks.. and I wish there was a solution.. but at this time, there is none.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby FlyingMonkey » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:45 am

junglesmacks wrote:
FlyingMonkey wrote:Seriously? Just about every other post here is “I need a ticket”. Not knowing your particular situation, my advice would be to not buy more tickets than you need. Of course you may have extenuating circumstances that were out of your control that caused you to be stuck with an extra ticket. But that extra ticket could be in the hand of someone that wants to go who doesn’t have a one yet. If you check out your regional groups (most, if not all have e-mail lists & SpaceBook profiles). I’m sure you can find someone who needs one. Offer it at face value on Gregslist. I hear they look great frammed. Except for those staples that greatly diminish their value to collectors :-)

STEP tickets are non-transferable.. period.

..and come guys.. because STEP tickets are non-transferable from the start, this is most likely not a scalping situation.

Many, many people are stuck with extra STEP tickets for one reason or another. There's no recourse and you're SOL if you can't show up to the gate to claim them in person. It sucks.. and I wish there was a solution.. but at this time, there is none.

Sorry. I am just cranky today. You are correct. Lack of sleep is starting to show. That was just my knee-jerk reaction to the blame game. To say that "STEP screwed me" is completely failing to take any responsibility of their own. Yes it sucks but I don't think it is entirely the fault of the STEP program. I just hate to see so many "extra" tickets this close to the event. There is no such thing as extra, just tickets that need new homes.
I need to get away......
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.
FlyingMonkey

Re: The post-STEP catch-all thread

Postby Clockwork_Wizard » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:01 am

You didn't get screwed by STEP - you got a ticket!
That's what you wanted, right?
That's what all the waiting and angst were about, right?

I got screwed by STEP.
I was never offered a ticket - and the org now joyously declares that everyone in the STEP queue that wanted a ticket - got one.
Lies. Or just PR and Marketing. Not much difference.
Clockwork_Wizard

Postby Eric » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:23 am

tanksalot wrote:I could also pick up both tickets, drive to Fedex someplace and send the purchaser the ticket.

You would have to drive all the way back to either Fernley or Reno (2-4+ hours), and then turn around & head back to BMan (depending on the day, 4-8+ hours). Basically an entire day to mail the ticket (if you haven't been, it really is in the middle of nowhere).

Your best bet is to either find someone who want to buy the ticket & can travel with you, or someone who trusts you enough to put it in their name at will call. Possibly one of your son or daughters friends, if they're interested in going?
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eric » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:26 am

Clockwork_Wizard wrote:I got screwed by STEP.
I was never offered a ticket - and the org now joyously declares that everyone in the STEP queue that wanted a ticket - got one.

Should I assume you've sent them an email asking about this, or are you only mentioning it here where they don't pay attention? There is always a chance of error, where you show as "cleared" on their side.

However, there are also tickets being dumped by the ton right now. If you've been preparing, you can pretty much hit the "Offered" board & find one close to the price you want to pay.

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby Elliot » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:30 am

Clockwork, they only accepted a small number of applicants for STEP, something like 1000 or 2000, saying they might take more applications later if enough tickets came in. My impression is that they were just barely able to fill that first batch.

Seems to me, STEP is a good idea. They just need to treat those tickets like other tickets, and not make the STEP ticket holders ride in the back of the bus.

:D
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:34 am

Clockwork_Wizard wrote:You didn't get screwed by STEP - you got a ticket!
That's what you wanted, right?
That's what all the waiting and angst were about, right?

I got screwed by STEP.

Do you want a ticket, knucklehead? Then go get one. They're everywhere.

EVERYONE that was in the STEP queue that wants or wanted a ticket.. HAS GOTTEN ONE..

..or they didn't really want one in the first place.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby FlyingMonkey » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:55 am

Elliot wrote:Clockwork, they only accepted a small number of applicants for STEP, something like 1000 or 2000, saying they might take more applications later if enough tickets came in. My impression is that they were just barely able to fill that first batch.

Seems to me, STEP is a good idea. They just need to treat those tickets like other tickets, and not make the STEP ticket holders ride in the back of the bus.

If its your bus they might not mind. Just say'n. :D I hear there will be lots of box wine. :lol:
FlyingMonkey

Postby Elliot » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:01 pm

You are probably too young to remember Rosa Parks and riding in the back of the bus. Second class citizens. :(
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby Clockwork_Wizard » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:03 pm

Elliot wrote:Clockwork, they only accepted a small number of applicants for STEP, something like 1000 or 2000, saying they might take more applications later if enough tickets came in. My impression is that they were just barely able to fill that first batch.

I was officially registered with STEP - timestamp 12:21:00 :roll:

I know there's tickets out there to be had. My comment is aimed at the STEP program and the awful way it was administered.
I haven't emailed the org. I knew the timestamp met little - and figured there were some of us who were at the tail end of the queue who didn't get tickets through STEP. Imagine my surprise when I read in JRS that the STEP queue had been cleared...
Clockwork_Wizard

Postby Elliot » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:39 pm

Now, that does sound like some error occurred somewhere.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby clocksnmirrors » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:24 pm

Clockwork_Wizard wrote:
I was officially registered with STEP - timestamp 12:21:00 :roll:

I know there's tickets out there to be had. My comment is aimed at the STEP program and the awful way it was administered.
I haven't emailed the org. I knew the timestamp met little - and figured there were some of us who were at the tail end of the queue who didn't get tickets through STEP. Imagine my surprise when I read in JRS that the STEP queue had been cleared...

i can help you. buy my paper ticket. it's sitting here on the bed next to me. $390. pm me.
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee heee heee heeeee! *burp*
clocksnmirrors

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Eric » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:59 pm

Clockwork_Wizard wrote:I was officially registered with STEP - timestamp 12:21:00 :roll:

Don't email them about the stupid timestamp, email them about being in STEP & not getting a ticket. If they think it cleared fine - and your not letting them know otherwise gives no reason not to - then they're not going to check for any system failures. You've been whinging on multiple threads about how they said it cleared but you didn't get a ticket, but you didn't take the basic step of letting them know that.

The ePlaya is not the same thing as an email to the correct department, the Mods do not have a hotline to Larry Harvey. If you got skipped but have done nothing for over a week to clear that up, the responsibility at this point is yours, not theirs.

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Court didn't go good - need to sell tik

Postby LAbatman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:45 pm

Okay, I've been lurking on this site for a while. Anyway, my ex wife found out I was going to burning man (probably through my fb page) and contacted child services b/c I haven't been able to pay child support. They took me to court today and it didn't go good. At 1st the judge seemed cool (she remembered me from b 4) and she asked me about BM, my costume (just a cape and sometimes underwear - ex printed pics off fb) seemed like things were going good then she said "well BATMAN, why is BM more important than child support?"

I tried to explain but she was getting pissed. Then she asked me how I was going to get to bm and how I got to court. Like a buffoon I said I drove and she said how did you do that b/c you license is revoked? (Awkward moment) Anyhow, I have been ORDERED to sell my ticket and appear in court with the $390 on 8-27-12 - THAT REALLY SCREWS MY PLANS UP!

I have a step tik and I need to sell it any ideas??
LAbatman

Burning Since: 1998
Camp Name: mine

Re: Court didn't go good - need to sell tik

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:55 pm

You're screwed. STEP is non-transferable.

And, um, while you're at it, pay your child support, dirtbag.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby LAbatman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:03 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:You're screwed. STEP is non-transferable.

And, um, while you're at it, pay your child support, dirtbag.

Watch your mouth PUNK.
LAbatman

Burning Since: 1998
Camp Name: mine

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:04 pm

Are you going to make me?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby trilobyte » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:05 pm

Moving this into the post-STEP catch-all thread. Play nice you two.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:08 pm

Oh trilo, I only wanted to get him to threaten to punch me in the mouth, because, well, the guy who shorts his children to go to burningman probably would punch a middle-aged woman in a wheelchair.

Not fair, but just a little public shaming...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby trilobyte » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:38 pm

@theCryptofishist - regardless, no need to get into name-calling.

@LAbatmat - The particulars of your case are your own business, and certainly not something to be posted on the tickets discussion board. I'll be removing them from the above posts. If you really want to get into that with the folks on this board, I'd direct you to this thread to vent.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby lalianderson » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:00 pm

I am also in the got-my-ticket-through-STEP-and-now-can't-attend boat. This situation leaves quite an icky taste in the mouth, and doesn't seem like it's in the spirit of Burning Man at all. I pay the money for the ticket, then can't even let anyone else have the time of their life, since I have this unexpected conflict???

Does anyone have any updates about this situation, or anyone to contact regarding this issue? I am having a lot of trouble getting over the potential awesomeness of freeing up those STEP tickets so that other people can participate the Black Rock community, and to put a smile back on the face of all those people who seem to be shit-outta-luck unnecessarily.
lalianderson

Burning Since: 2011

Postby lucky420 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:38 am

Did you people not read the info regarding transferring STEPS when you purchased them? jeebus! I was pretty damned disheartened when I didn't win a ticket in the main lottery and didn't have the forsight (at the time) to purchase pre-sale tix. So when I got the chance at STEP I was thrilled to buy and I bet you were too.

I'm sorry that some of you can't go now but...fuck sometimes life sucks and you lose money. Stop bitching! If you don't go, well you're out the price of a ticket. But if you went it would cost you a lot more than the tix. So look at it this way, you're actually money ahead if you don't go!
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Clockwork_Wizard » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:57 am

Eric wrote:Don't email them about the stupid timestamp, email them about being in STEP & not getting a ticket. If they think it cleared fine - and your not letting them know otherwise gives no reason not to - then they're not going to check for any system failures. You've been whinging on multiple threads about how they said it cleared but you didn't get a ticket, but you didn't take the basic step of letting them know that.

The ePlaya is not the same thing as an email to the correct department, the Mods do not have a hotline to Larry Harvey. If you got skipped but have done nothing for over a week to clear that up, the responsibility at this point is yours, not theirs.

Wow. Harsh.

Please don't make such broad assumptions. I have emailed the org about the situation.
I would complain about their abysmal response time but I understand they're a little buried right now with more important matters (TTITD).
And that would be whinging - which is something, I guess, we're not supposed to do here on ePlaya ;-)

As for "Multiple Thread" whinging... Please - while 2 threads (including this one) may technically be "multiple" - let's not go all hyperbolic. I understand that ePlaya is not an efficient way to communicate with the org. My comments here were never meant to imply such.
My understanding was that ePlaya was for: communication, asking for/offering advice and help, venting, being obnoxious, expressing oneself, and (yes) whinging. All part of that radical self-expression thing that we all try to embrace :-)

For those of you kind enough to offer me tickets - I've managed to take care of the issue (radical self-reliance, you know).

Cheers!
Clockwork_Wizard

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:02 am

I'm not sure why STEP was made non-transferrable, but I would like to remind everyone that non-transferable tickets were greatly wished for by a large slice of the community. It was believed that they would cut down on scalping. Now we see the downside of that.
Like Lucky says, life is often unfair. We all get kicked in the teeth sometimes. Sometimes we even bring it on ourselves with our own stupid behavior. And while I have some compassion it is mixed with impatience at how sheltered your lives seem to be that this such a derailment. Perhaps you should investigate some sort of trip insurance. I know in some cases people get refunds for cancelled plans, even if the airline or hotel or llc is not the issuer. Maybe you'll decide it's not worth it, but at least you'd know.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby pink » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:45 am

LAbatman wrote:Okay, I've been lurking on this site for a while. Anyway, my ex wife found out I was going to burning man (probably through my fb page) and contacted child services b/c I haven't been able to pay child support. They took me to court today and it didn't go good. At 1st the judge seemed cool (she remembered me from b 4) and she asked me about BM, my costume (just a cape and sometimes underwear - ex printed pics off fb) seemed like things were going good then she said "well BATMAN, why is BM more important than child support?"

I tried to explain but she was getting pissed. Then she asked me how I was going to get to bm and how I got to court. Like a buffoon I said I drove and she said how did you do that b/c you license is revoked? (Awkward moment) Anyhow, I have been ORDERED to sell my ticket and appear in court with the $390 on 8-27-12 - THAT REALLY SCREWS MY PLANS UP!

I have a step tik and I need to sell it any ideas??

You posted you were going to BM on Facebook and didn't expect your ex to find out you spent the child support on BM tix? Man that's just plain dumb. (Eric I will not say anything else). Better find $390 in your sofa pretty quick.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby Arnoldo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:41 am

This thread is depressing!! Back to bracelet making and costume prep. See you STEPers on the PLAYA!!!
Peace full anarchy in a place called crazy...
Arnoldo

Previous

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion