GPS coordinates to the Golden Spike?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

GPS coordinates to the Golden Spike?

Postby Hazumu » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:17 am

I found the GPS coordinates to "Burning Man" (40°45'13.83"N, 119°16'37.20"W), which is where you turn off the highway.

I'm looking for something a bit more -uhm- exact...

I figure if I had the coords for the Golden Spike, I could derive the coords for where my camp is, and let the navigator help with getting me there with a minimum of being a member of the Fugawe tribe ("We're the Fugawe!")

A search of ePlaya hasn't turned up this bit of information...
Hazumu

Re: GPS coordinates to the Golden Spike?

Postby MikeGyver » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:03 am

The coordinates for the man last year according to Google earth (and the Golden Spike is under the Man) were 40*56'48.46"N 119*12'30.87"E

I know that probably wont be the same coordinates this year but it will get you closer than the dirt road off the highway

But then again if you are willing to go off of coordinates from last year you can go download Google Earth and find the coordinates of where your camps location would be, Google maps will give you coordinates too I just find Google Earth easier
Last edited by MikeGyver on Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
MikeGyver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Bob » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:05 am

The BLM typically publishes the locations of the five boundary points as part of the permit documents to determine the closure area, but the center point is irrelevant to them. DPW derives the center point from that, but they're usually to busy to publish it. Location of any of these major points might differ based on field conditions, accuracy of instruments, blablabla, and location of the streets and intersections as laid out might vary because DPW uses some pretty crude methods (tapes, chains, visual range finders, etc.).

So unless you know someone onsite with the time to respond to your query, or someone publishing their own interpreted plan of the city, you'll probably have to wait until you get there for something more-or-less accurate. Even if you knew the center point location, the as-built street layout might differ from what you might expect, and what you might get from some third party might be pretty inaccurate.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby portaplaya » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:42 pm

The survey team sent this information to the people that like to make GPS files for displaying a map of the city on your GPS:

BURNING MAN 2012 LOCATION DATA 7.26.2012

Burning Man location: 40° 47' 11.00 N, 119° 12' 23.40 W (WGS84)

Elevation: 3904'

If you want a map file to install on your GPS to display this year's streets, go to: http://www.wkeller.net/BRC-GPS/
portaplaya

Postby Hazumu » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:03 pm

Thank you all. The intersection closest to my camp is at 40.778775,-119.209168
Hazumu

Postby Just_Joe » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:25 pm

WKeller's map of 2012 on Google maps: (overlaid onto 2011 sat photo)
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:%2F ... 9&t=h&z=13

I uploaded his map to my garmin gps and drove the fence line last weekend. It was spot on.
FWIW, based on my GPS waypoints, It looks like the 2012 locations and orientation is IDENTICAL to the 2010 layout
User weather man is now Just_Joe
Just_Joe

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Bob » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:36 pm

The BLM defines the event bounds by the five corners, so those are determined probably more accurately than other features.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Return to Transportation