Expect a mad rush of resale tickets

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Expect a mad rush of resale tickets

Postby uncle sticky » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:38 pm

From what the ticket rumble is, that many people gamed the system to increase their odds of getting tickets, there is going to be a huge rush of people who got multiple ticket awards and realize that they have to get rid of some, fast! I also anticipate a much bigger number than expected to end up in the last "open" purchase, as many people fail to close on the tickets they were awarded. Pretty interesting to watch what will happen, but I'm more interested in what the impact will be on the community. Supply, meet demand, meet temporary shortage followed by over-supply. If you look at the last few years, January/February ticket demand is around 20,000, followed by another 30,000 tickets over the next 8 or 9 months. I suspect that in March, there will be alot of face value tickets available, then tightening up, then dropping quite a bit closer to the event.
The handbasket to hell is leaving. Hop in world!
uncle sticky

Re: Expect a mad rush of resale tickets

Postby jkisha » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:42 pm

We put in for exactly the number of tickets we need--two. One for me and one for my partner. If we don't get picked in the lotto, we have decided not to go. I wouldn't shop at a store or go to any other event that made buying tickets such a convoluted process, I'm not making an exception for this one.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby CornMan » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:49 pm

I imagine those with extra tickets will keep the lower tier tickets and sell the higher tier tickets. It works as a hedge to pay a lower price. That's yet another unintended consequence.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby CornMan » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:51 pm

jkisha wrote:We put in for exactly the number of tickets we need--two. One for me and one for my partner. If we don't get picked in the lotto, we have decided not to go. I wouldn't shop at a store or go to any other event that made buying tickets such a convoluted process, I'm not making an exception for this one.

What about the direct sale in a few months? That isn't convoluted. If I don't get a ticket in this round, I'll go for that.
Never mind the weather
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby Sham » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:53 pm

jkisha wrote:We put in for exactly the number of tickets we need--two. One for me and one for my partner. If we don't get picked in the lotto, we have decided not to go. I wouldn't shop at a store or go to any other event that made buying tickets such a convoluted process, I'm not making an exception for this one.

You give a slight appearance of turning into a crabby old codger! Just saying.
Sham

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:29 pm

Turning?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby gaminwench » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:40 pm

slight???
"I'm sorry, but just the thought of a non-controversial thread on ePlaya is controversial." jk
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby ygmir » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:47 pm

"codfish"?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby piehole » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:50 pm

*busts out the popcorn*
Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
piehole

Burning Since: 2012

Postby SachiIvy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:33 pm

No matter what happens, it will be interesting to see how this pans out.

But I think most everyone who puts some honest effort into landing a ticket will get one.

And there are always a rush of last-minute tickets that pop up - usually at good prices - when folks have emergencies crop-up last minute...

Good luck everyone!
SachiIvy

Postby Andrewty07 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:43 pm

I just figured I would put in for the tickets I needed and if I didn't get them I won't go, saves some time and money or if I get the tickets awesome I will start planning.
Andrewty07

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:03 pm

ygmir wrote:"codfish"?

Ahem!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby ygmir » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:49 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
ygmir wrote:"codfish"?

Ahem!

a cousin?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby moonrise » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:57 pm

Oh good, 'cause a good freind of mine spaced out entering the lottery.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby maryanimal » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:10 pm

As long as I have my ticket, which I will get, I don't care about the rush!! :D 8)
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Ed Phunk » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:07 am

I just want my ticket situation settled by April at the latest. I need time to prepare. Waiting until June is just too frickin late...
Ed Phunk

Postby lemur » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:13 am

uncle sticky wrote:there is going to be a huge rush of people who got multiple ticket awards and realize that they have to get rid of some, fast!

This appears unlikely now.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby CornMan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:30 am

OK, I've got to come clean on the planning thing: The first year I went to Burning Man, I didn't think of going to this thing called Burning Man until two days before the festival opened. I bought a ticket off of craigslist the next day at the lowest tier - $152. I filled up the propane in my motorhome, bought seven 18-packs of beer, bought about $100 worth of food, and I was off. My clutch went out en route, and I got towed from about 20 miles south of Gerlach, through the stop and go traffic, to our camp at 4:15 and Istanbul for less than what this year's ticket will probably cost. The cop that got the tow for me said that I could get towed to the playa. I asked him if there was an auto parts store there. He said no, but I can do the Burning Man thing there and figure it out later. I said, "Cool." The tow-truck driver was a hoot. At the time, I was bumming out big time about how much the tow was going to cost, but I didn't realize that being physically and mentally able to Burning Man is a blessing in itself. There are worse situations in which to find yourself I'm sure. Out of about 24 people in our camp, not one single person in our camp knew anybody else before we met up on the playa. Well, Connie and Jim did... I lucked out and got cell service en route and asked a friend to pick up a clutch kit. I put in the clutch while my camp mates were partying. That was the very few somewhat sober hours I experienced on the playa that burn. I drove to a hotel in Reno and then on home without incident. If you're prepared at all for camping, and you're somewhat local, you don't need a bunch of time to plan except maybe to decide if you'll buy Coors, Tecate, or PBR. I played it safe and bought a little of each - Ergo, I'm finding out that I've been whining a bit lately.

Last edited by CornMan on Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:46 am, edited 6 times in total.
Never mind the weather
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby The CO » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:36 am

Ed Phunk wrote:I just want my ticket situation settled by April at the latest. I need time to prepare. Waiting until June is just too frickin late...

If you entered the lotto, you'll know very soon. If not, it's all up to the amount of effort you put into finding an aftermarket ticket. Good luck!
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby uncle sticky » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:03 pm

Recent track of tickets on major re-seller that shall not be named shows tickets at $390 now. Two weeks out, and it's reverse panic.
The handbasket to hell is leaving. Hop in world!
uncle sticky

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:58 pm

It's thier turn in the barrel!!! :twisted:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby pink » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:04 pm

Shall we sing a chorus of 'I told ya so!'.

Pretty please?
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby Sail Man » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:10 pm

gonna be curious to see how the BORG handles ticket sales next year. Stay with this new and improved :roll: model or try some other dumb-fuckery method.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:14 pm

Got mine in the lottery. ($320)

Think I'll wait till mid August to get my ticket next year. :lol:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby pink » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:25 pm

Sail Man wrote:gonna be curious to see how the BORG handles ticket sales next year. Stay with this new and improved :roll: model or try some other dumb-fuckery method.

Actually it worked pretty well. Scalpers are screwed, unless someone panicked and bought early (which could cause them to rethink trying next year), burners that overbought/gamed the system might think again about doing it again, and people who bought on a whim or were not sure they could go may rethink it until their plans are more settled.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby International Incident » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:30 pm

I'm watching the number of threads on the tickets available thread rise very quickly, I reckon that by tomorrow it will have surpassed the tickets wanted thread.

I feel very smug. Fuck you scalpers :twisted:
International Incident

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby trilobyte » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:58 pm

Most of the people posting aren't scalpers or hoarders. I'm even looking at a ticket surplus in our own camp, not because anybody was holding out in hopes of making a profit or anything, but because work things changed and people who had been planning to go for months are no longer able to.

I think that last year's sellout on July 26 caught many, many people by surprise. Very few of us had really considered that it could happen, let alone knew it was inevitable. As a result, several thousand people who had been doing the work and had the time off suddenly got caught without a ticket. This year, everyone's known that tickets were in short supply from the very start. Those who were determined to go have had 7 months to figure something out, and those who weren't have had time to make their peace with the idea, or just never got involved in making/building/bringing things.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby clocksnmirrors » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:44 pm

well i got my ticket through STEP

a guy at my job got a ticket through the lottery and told me he would sell it to me but i entered STEP anyway and was awarded a ticket.

because this guy wasn't going i held up my commitment to him and bought the ticket, thinking i would be able to sell it easily...

well the joke's on me... i've got a STEP ticket and a paper ticket and no buyer. and this in the midst of a ticket glut

even so, it's fuckin awesome to think that anyone who wants to come this year can pretty much get there!

all the dire prognostications about no art and no camps.... poppycock

this very well may be the BEST BURN EVAR!!!!

so look for me beatches! i'll be the naked dude with the dragon on my bike! i start driving a week from thursday!!!! fuckin can't wait!

hugs and kissus and see you fuckers in the dust!!!
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee heee heee heeeee! *burp*
clocksnmirrors

Burning Since: 2012

Postby lemur » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:06 pm

yeah trilo is wise.

my camp has seen somewhere around 10% drop off right before the event in recent times...

10% is a lot.. and for some reason people wait until the last moment to say 'no! i cant do it'.. and this was happening before any lottery.

so yeah! 'expect lots of tickets to go on sale' ..but not because of hoarders..but business as usual
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:56 pm

clocksnmirrors wrote:all the dire prognostications about no art and no camps.... poppycock

Not exactly, that planning starts at least by Jan-Feb. At that time, there weren't enough tkts to even get started. You can't just pull this shit off two weeks b4 the event.

But it pleases me to see any that want to go, can now go..... Yes, see ya in the dust.....
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon
thisisthatwhichis

Next

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion