Any success with UHaul?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Any success with UHaul?

Postby DutchVN » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:12 pm

I have a reservation for a pickup at the UHaul on Virginia St in Reno to transport gear, bikes and such. After reading some of the other post online it seems like there have been a lot of issues with them. Has ANYONE gotten a rental from them without being dicked over?

I'm a little nervous now about what do to if that falls through that won't cost an arm and a leg. Any advice would be awesome, thanks y'all!
DutchVN

Re: Any success with UHaul?

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:58 pm

You already tried calling the Budget on Gentry Way and seeing if they have anything left you can use, right?
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby DutchVN » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:17 pm

I did look into the Budget online and it appears that they only have larger trucks which are way more space than we need and money then we were hoping to spend.
DutchVN

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:45 pm

It might not hurt to Google the Gentry Way Budget Rental and call them anyway; speak to a human. They can tell you things the online version won't. And good luck.

I don't remember much love for UHaul 'round these parts. :)

I have used Enterprise in the past, although we did not volunteer where we were going, and they didn't ask. We cleaned the car well and got the deposit back. In general, I like them, but I'm using the Northern branches.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:52 pm

I think uhaul is the one that cancels your shit if they even think you're going to the burn.

And if you bring it back and they think that is where you were, they charge you 100s of $$$.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby DutchVN » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:55 pm

Spoke to budget on the phone and they do not have cargo vans. Spoke to enterprise too and they are sold out.
DutchVN

Postby lemur » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:18 pm

avoid u-haul.

they will gladly wait until you show up on monday of the burn to tell you they wont rent to you.

i had good experience with budget ...they rented to us knowing full well where we were going and after we mentioned uhaul bailed on us.. even with no reservation before hand they rented a truck to us same day..
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:18 pm

AVOID U-HAUL AT ALL COSTS. THEY WILL CANCEL YOUR RESERVATION AND SCREW YOU.

Seriously.

DO NOT even try and rent from anyone but Budget on Gentry Way. They are the ONLY box truck rental company in Reno that is proven 1000% burner friendly. All other major companies will either cancel your reservation at the last minute and/or nail you with hefty fees. The Budget guys on Gentry Way are totally burner friendly, have a front office full of BM schwag and well wishes written all over the office and will go out of their way to assist you even MORE so if they know you're a burner.. because they know what a good thing they have going with us and what a reputation they are building. That.. and they seem to be some genuinely cool guys.

Check this thread as there are some coupon codes that are working right now for some good deals: viewtopic.php?f=277&t=35289&start=120
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Eric » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:46 pm

DutchVN wrote:Spoke to budget on the phone and they do not have cargo vans. Spoke to enterprise too and they are sold out.

Pay the extra & rent the smallest usable vehicle the Budget on Gentry Way has. Period. It's pretty much the only way you can bet that you won't be screwed- even if another place says they'll rent you what you need you have no guarantee that they won't yank it out from under you at the last minute. I know theme-camps that had Uhaul do it to them (and do you have any idea how hard it is to find a truck in the SF Bay Area during the Burn?), I've heard bad things about almost everyone except that one particular Budget (on Gentry Way...)

Your choice is a bit larger than you need, but safe; or exactly what you need with a strong possibility of being screwed out of it at the last second...
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:58 pm

A 10' box truck would be just right if you want something smaller. It sits on a standard HD van frame and is decent on gas. Try out the coupon code listed in the linked thread.
junglesmacks

Postby SnowBlind » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:55 am

We've taken UHaul trailers a couple of times, and all went well. We didn't have any problems returning them either, but they were open trailers that were pretty beat up already, so I don't think they care about those too much.

However, when we picked it up there was a guy in front of us who was moving and the truck he had reserved simply wasn't there. They told him they might get one for him later that day or the next day, but he was on a tight schedule with his move and was fuming. I think they do that frequently with their reservations. They are more like a polite request, not a firm reservation.

So even though our experience went well, I'd hate to depend on them.
SnowBlind

Postby DutchVN » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:08 am

Thanks for the input! I called the Virginia St U-Haul and was told flat out they will not rent to anyone they even suspect is going to BM. I called U-haul corporate customer service and registered a complaint. I'm sure it won't change anything but at least it makes me feel better about the situation!!

Reserved a 10ft truck from the Budget on Gentry. It is more than we were hoping to pay but perhaps it is for the best. I can't imagine how much it would suck to get screwed by U-Haul at the last moment!!! Plus we now have lots of extra transport space to share! yay
DutchVN

Postby whatevan » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:54 am

We've got a rental with Budget the the airport. Any experience with them? Should I be switching to Gentry way? The reservation has been booked and paid for.
Thanks
whatevan

Burning Since: 2008

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:16 am

Did you reserve online as a "business" and use coupon code U368037? Rates are lowest if you reserve to pickup Sunday instead of midweek, too. You can always make a new reservation and cancel the old one if you didn't do this.

whatevan wrote:We've got a rental with Budget the the airport. Any experience with them? Should I be switching to Gentry way? The reservation has been booked and paid for.
Thanks

Gentry Way is the rental location for trucks only.. no cars. I don't believe anyone has had the Budget car rental @ the airport cancel on them. Just make sure to clean the heck out of the car before return.
junglesmacks

Postby DutchVN » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:19 am

junglesmacks wrote:Did you reserve online as a "business" and use coupon code U368037? Rates are lowest if you reserve to pickup Sunday instead of midweek, too. You can always make a new reservation and cancel the old one if you didn't do this.

I saw that the rates were much cheaper if you reserve as a business. Don't "business" rentals require proof on insurance or something like that?
DutchVN

Postby incubus_pantomime » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:34 am

junglesmacks wrote:AVOID U-HAUL AT ALL COSTS. THEY WILL CANCEL YOUR RESERVATION AND SCREW YOU.

Seriously.

DO NOT even try and rent from anyone but Budget on Gentry Way. They are the ONLY box truck rental company in Reno that is proven 1000% burner friendly. All other major companies will either cancel your reservation at the last minute and/or nail you with hefty fees. The Budget guys on Gentry Way are totally burner friendly, have a front office full of BM schwag and well wishes written all over the office and will go out of their way to assist you even MORE so if they know you're a burner.. because they know what a good thing they have going with us and what a reputation they are building. That.. and they seem to be some genuinely cool guys.

Check this thread as there are some coupon codes that are working right now for some good deals: viewtopic.php?f=277&t=35289&start=120

If anyone can find a place in Reno that will rent to someone under the age of 25 without tacking on $200-$300 of underage driver fees for the week, then I'm all ears. UHaul rents to 18+ without these charges. I'm going to take a chance on it because it's really all I have.
"I think perhaps love thrives on unlikely circumstance and chance : life thrives on these principles, and is life not love? And love not life?"
incubus_pantomime

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Lamplighters (thanks, guys and gals!)

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:41 am

So, you're flying into Reno when? And how much luggage will you have? Do you need to go shopping? Are you spending any nights in town? Do you feel comfortable if your stuff has to go with someone else?

Can anybody take BoyGirlScout or some of her stuff to the playa?

I'd suggest working the rideshare as well. Let's find you a better choice, because if you're stuck in Reno for a week, that's not good.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:43 pm

Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:50 pm

I'm gonna have a lot of empty space in my box truck but my departure and return dates and times are firmly fixed. So if you want to try to arrange something with me, please give me some more info on when you'll be where and what you're bringing...
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby incubus_pantomime » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:12 pm

I'll have to call and see what their location's policy on underage drivers is, but the Budget FAQ webpage says they typically charge $18/day for people aged 21-23 (I will be two months shy of 24 during BM), and that comes out to $162 in surcharges alone for 9 days (Aug. 26--Sept. 3). Thanks for the heads-up, though! You are right in saying that this could pan out. :D
"I think perhaps love thrives on unlikely circumstance and chance : life thrives on these principles, and is life not love? And love not life?"
incubus_pantomime

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:14 pm

I know money is money, but 162 seems a small amount for a make or break thing like transport to the playa.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby moonrise » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:35 pm

incubus_pantomime wrote:

I'll have to call and see what their location's policy on underage drivers is, but the Budget FAQ webpage says they typically charge $18/day for people aged 21-23 (I will be two months shy of 24 during BM), and that comes out to $162 in surcharges alone for 9 days (Aug. 26--Sept. 3). Thanks for the heads-up, though! You are right in saying that this could pan out. :D

The Reno regional DISCUSSION list (NOT the Reno event announce list) has various sorts of trailers being offered on it frequently. You could sign up, post a shout out looking for a trailer/truck/what have you and keep the money in the family! Burn related commerce IS allowed on the DISCUSSION list.
Of course you'll want to be sure you're dealing with an honest reliable burner... So far everyone I've ever met through this list has been fantastic. YYMV
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby incubus_pantomime » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:12 pm

So, just putting it out there for the masses, and feel free to say "I told you so", as I will nod my head in agreement:

UHaul totally dicked me. They have nothing available, according to the Nevada regional office, and they were very rude when I tried to inquire as to why. So! We're now thinking about the To Flame bus. There are still spaces open for both outbound and inbound to Reno, so this is probably what we'll end up doing. I may inquire on the rideshare board about our monkey hut, though -- I'm about 200% sure that the To Flame bus would not be able to accommodate our long PVC pipes in their luggage bays, but let me know if that's not the case.

Thank you to any helpful hints and advice that were mentioned. We really appreciate it. :)
incubus_pantomime

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:42 pm

It takes a big cookie fortune to admit that the conventional wisdom of the board is correct.
Thank you, and best wishes for your transport needs.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Copper nicus » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:46 am

We had a U-haul truck booked from Reno from January and got a "your reservation is cancelled because we don't have the equipment" message this Friday! Thank you for eplayans for the helpful info on Budget on Gentry - new truck booking made yesterday successfully.
* going to the Moon *
Copper nicus

Burning Since: 2011

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:26 am

incubus_pantomime wrote:So, just putting it out there for the masses, and feel free to say "I told you so", as I will nod my head in agreement:

UHaul totally dicked me. They have nothing available, according to the Nevada regional office, and they were very rude when I tried to inquire as to why. So! We're now thinking about the To Flame bus. There are still spaces open for both outbound and inbound to Reno, so this is probably what we'll end up doing. I may inquire on the rideshare board about our monkey hut, though -- I'm about 200% sure that the To Flame bus would not be able to accommodate our long PVC pipes in their luggage bays, but let me know if that's not the case.

Thank you to any helpful hints and advice that were mentioned. We really appreciate it. :)

Why didn't you heed all the metric tons of advice on renting only with Budget on Gentry?
junglesmacks

Postby incubus_pantomime » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:33 am

junglesmacks wrote:
incubus_pantomime wrote:So, just putting it out there for the masses, and feel free to say "I told you so", as I will nod my head in agreement:

Why didn't you heed all the metric tons of advice on renting only with Budget on Gentry?

I read the advice, but the Budget on Gentry Way did not have any cargo vans available back when I made the reservation with UHaul. Nobody in my group has ever driven a box truck before, and I did not feel safe testing that in these conditions. Plus, we don't need a 10' box truck, so I didn't see the benefit in paying that much money for a huge truck we wouldn't be able to drive. If Budget had had cargo vans available, I would never have given UHaul a second thought.

I still appreciate everyone's helpful hints...it just so happened that I couldn't make use of it.
incubus_pantomime

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:42 am

Ah. I would honestly just go with the 10' truck then. I don't think it's any longer than a cargo van anyway as it's pretty much just a box on an HD van chassis..

That was also when your tents blow away in the 70 mph dust storm of biblical proportions, you have a fail safe, dust free, wind proof living structure.

Seriously.
junglesmacks

Postby havoc » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:18 pm

I made a reservation on June 18th with Uhaul for a trailer only. They just emailed me today and unceremoniously cancelled my reservation due to lack of equipment.

Pretty frustrating. Scouring the board for alternatives now but wanted to throw in my (bitter) 2 cents. :evil:
havoc

Postby HandJamMasterC » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:17 pm

Ya, U Haul called me and told me they didn't have a trailer for me either ( Sacramento area ). However, my local U Haul guy is helping me work around the corp. office. It's just dust U Haul - it actually washes off. Wouldn't be any different if I was going dirt biking in the desert for 10 days fer Christs sake !! :twisted:
CAMP D.O.A.

Fun As A Scorched Earth Policy...........

https://sites.google.com/site/campdoa/
HandJamMasterC

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A.

Next

Return to Transportation