2012 Theme Camp List

Discuss and share theme camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates here.

2012 Theme Camp List

Postby trilobyte » Tue May 29, 2012 5:57 pm

The list of registered theme camps for the 2012 event has been posted (click here to check it out). Remember, this is not a list of all the camps that will be at Burning Man, but a list of some of the registered theme camps that will be there. Some registered theme camps choose not to be listed in the public directory, and many more camps have names and great themes, but do not register for placement.

I suspect that this list is not yet complete, you may want to check back again in early July.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: 2012 Registered Theme Camp List

Postby CornMan » Tue May 29, 2012 5:59 pm

I counted 800 camps total on that list. I wonder how many placed camps do they want this year? Will any of them be denied placement this year?
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Re: 2012 Theme Camp List

Postby junglesmacks » Tue May 29, 2012 6:11 pm

Speaking of placement, EA pass notification and those of us that have to book plane tickets now vs late July.. *cough*cough*
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby trilobyte » Tue May 29, 2012 7:33 pm

Camps should expect notification of placement in early July, and early arrival passes are typically issued in August.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue May 29, 2012 7:47 pm

So the question then becomes is it worth going early and doing stuff in Reno if you have the plane ticket and you don't get the EA...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trilobyte » Tue May 29, 2012 8:13 pm

That's how the question has been for many years for those traveling from a distance. Depends on what you think of your and your campmates' abilities to organize (and submit a successful questionnaire). My campmates who fly in book well in advance and in anticipation of the application being successful. They've flown into SF each year, and in the event our application wasn't successful we'd likely spend some of the time in SF as well as some in Reno.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Wed May 30, 2012 4:14 pm

To clarify, the published list is of the camps who registered and requested to have their information posted publicly (the actual placement notifications will go out in early July). If you're the primary contact for your camp, don't see your camp's info but you would like to be included on the directory, then please send an email to placement@burningman.com with your camp's name in the subject line, and then in the body of the email ask them to add you and provide a description of your camp as well as URL and/or email address (if you'd like). Same is true if you see your camp's info and would rather not be listed (or if you need to make a change), send them an email requesting the change and they'll get you taken care of.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Official List of 2012 Theme Camps

Postby jkisha » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:32 pm

JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Official List of 2012 Theme Camps

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:55 pm

Is this the real official list or the pre-list that trilo linked to a week or two ago?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby jkisha » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:07 pm

I don't know, it was in the burning man announce list just sent to me by Will Chase. I didn't see the link Trillo posted.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby motskyroonmatick » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:50 pm

Has anyone counted the number of camps yet? I thought of trying but realized I wasn't going to make it.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:19 pm

Merging jkisha's thread with the other. It's the same list, and preliminary until placement is annouonced in early July.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby CornMan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:01 am

motskyroonmatick wrote:Has anyone counted the number of camps yet? I thought of trying but realized I wasn't going to make it.

I counted the number of camps in the 2012 list. I counted exactly 800 camps. I guess a lot of camps have requested placement but requested to not be publicly listed. I don't know why they would do this. Perhaps the secrecy is that they want their activities to be more private and exclusive?
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:41 pm

I don't know if it's about privacy or exclusivity. Some camps are worried that a listing will lead to them getting ravaged, while others are all kinds of open and public and welcoming, but like the idea of being discovered through exploration and playadipity.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby shroom » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:46 pm

The list makes me more home sick. :( Hope to see some of these next year.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire." Fred Shero
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:26 pm

There will be tens of thousands of participants and many camps offering events or services cannot handle the crush. They will have been vetted by the org for interactivity, and reach people through the playa jungle telegraph and personal networks. Also the org camps are not listed, but they are placed obviously.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby motskyroonmatick » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:30 pm

Zeke Chaparral wrote:
motskyroonmatick wrote:Has anyone counted the number of camps yet? I thought of trying but realized I wasn't going to make it.

I counted the number of camps in the 2012 list. I counted exactly 800 camps. I guess a lot of camps have requested placement but requested to not be publicly listed. I don't know why they would do this. Perhaps the secrecy is that they want their activities to be more private and exclusive?

Thanks Zeke!
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby videoparker28 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:59 am

I'm looking for info about the airport and being a greeter. Where can I find that on eplaya. I found it on the website but have not seen anything on here about the airport out there. Just got a few questions about how/who/what/when would be a good time to be a greeter early in the week and maybe halp a few secure their aircraft too. Any direction would help. Thanks you guys
-Jp
videoparker28

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:35 am

videoparker28 wrote:I'm looking for info about the airport and being a greeter. Where can I find that on eplaya. I found it on the website but have not seen anything on here about the airport out there. Just got a few questions about how/who/what/when would be a good time to be a greeter early in the week and maybe halp a few secure their aircraft too. Any direction would help. Thanks you guys
-Jp

Not everything is on ePlaya! And the airport and greeter's station are not theme camps.

From the homepage of the Burning Man website (click on the big "Burning Man" on the top left of this page), click on "participate." From the "participate" page, click on "volunteer."

Here, I did it for you.

That will take you to a page with info about volunteer opportunities for this year (including a FAQ) and a volunteer questionnaire. The questionnaire asks you about your skills, availability, and experience, along with checkboxes for what departments/jobs interest you. After you fill it out, your info will be forwarded to the relevant departments, and they'll contact you by email with more information and to discuss specific shifts/jobs.

Good luck!
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:51 am

(Actually, there is camping at the airport, although I don't know if it functions as a theme camp...)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby massagenut » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:34 am

When do they post a theme camp listing that actually has camp placement on it? Or a map that has the camps shown on it? Or is that some super secret information that they don't release until after the event starts and you are there, with no way to download it? Seems like that was how it worked last year with the phone apps... they didn't allow actual placement info to be included until after the event began... which was too late for most of us.
Texas Joe (TJ)
BDC&WB
Barbie Day Spa

'...just be nice'
massagenut

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:37 am

As there are tweaks to placement up until the gates open...
Well, they've taken to not giving out that info. There used to be a camp list, now the ones you find are the ones that people compile from what individual camps post on the internet. There is no map that makes it possible to see everything on the playa, and there's cool stuff all over...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Re: 2012 Theme Camp Locations

Postby Marks71 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:25 am

I can't find the list showing the 2012 THEME CAMPS & VILLAGES locations, just a listing of who they are?
Marks71

Postby trilobyte » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:00 am

No such list is published.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:00 am

There is no such list put out by the LLC, until the map we get at the greeters.
There are maps made by people on the internet, based on what they can find from people who post their location on lined. Compiling them must be a real task...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby massagenut » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:42 am

The most complete map that I have found so far is an app that runs within Facebook. Open facebook then search for Burner Map. They basically let any camp enter their location and then the map adds that info. It's not complete, but it did have the info that I was looking for, and I noticed that all of the Barbie Death Village sub-camps were listed.
TJ
Texas Joe (TJ)
BDC&WB
Barbie Day Spa

'...just be nice'
massagenut

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:46 am

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM