Clan destino is sponsored by Monster energy drink.

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Postby Big trout » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:04 pm

They told us this on burn night. I was blown away by thier hopitality when I met them saturday night in thier trailer. So I asked them how they came about this. They said Monster. Go figure. Burning man is now officialy commercialized.
Big trout

Postby Dardanian » Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:15 pm

That explains the truck with the logo on the side that drove by the day before the burn. Wow... that's unfortunate.
-Christopher of Aeneadae
Per ardua ad astra
Dardanian

Postby geekster » Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:24 pm

Actually, it explains the trashcans full of iced down Monster at the Mutaytor gig there during the week. Hit the spot for me, I was a long way from my camp/water.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby Big trout » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:56 am

Its kinda sad burningman is going this route. Even tho I had a blast and probaly return next year. In a world of product placement we have to pull together and take down big bisuness when it rears its ugly head at burning man. Maybe we can have a group that is kinda like neighborhood watch. Do shifts looking for product placement. Sounds fun to me.
Big trout

Postby stuart » Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:55 pm

uh, this aint really accurate
Monster provided the truck and a few pallettes of their bevvies. The rest of that camp, including their lovely bamboo structure and all the vodka they put in their mixed drinks came from camp members.
call me baby
stuart

Postby Big trout » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:53 pm

Would you have gotten the truck if you didnt take the pallets of Monster?
Big trout

Postby stuart » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:24 pm

I can't answer that. I was not in Clan Destino. I was their next door neighbor. I am saddened that they drove the rig on the playa with the logos showing. They drove it in with the thing blacked out. I never saw a logo (except on the pallettes of cans) during the 9 days they were next to me.
call me baby
stuart

Postby BeFunky » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:53 pm

where do we draw the line with sponsorship and product placement and all this drama... if somebody knew somebody, who knew somebody who was able to pull a few strings and get to use a truck and a bunch of free drinks and hence save several hundred if not thousand dollars to help produce an amazing camp and serve free drinks on the playa, who really cares?
BeFunky

Postby TheMuse » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:34 am

I entered behind the truck, and they did attempt to cover up the logos, but the white stickers/tape (whatever they used) was not opaque enough to cover it completely and the logos were still fairly visible. I would suggest a double coat if they come again.
Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.
TheMuse

Postby stuart » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:32 am

hey, if I knew some ultra big wig at sony or some such and she wanted to camp with me, bring up a truck and help me set up an 8 projector RP octagonal theatre so I could bring my own brand of ultra immersive circlevision to the playa (my cost no object playa project dream) I wouldn't bat an eye.
call me baby
stuart

Postby jaywalker » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:25 pm

Actually one of the campers works for Hansen. And again she asked if they could have product to gift out like last year. I don't see people covering up all the PBR and Tecate cans to make them non-descript. The truck was coming off the Warped tour, so they let her take it.

If your work let you have a box truck with generator, sound, lighting, refrigeration, 4 pallets of drinks to take on your vacation for no charge, wouldn't you take it? They tried to cover it up, but only so much you can do.

And Mutaytor has a sponsorship from Monster.
your judgement is a little off at this time- Peking Noodle Co. fortune cookie
jaywalker

Postby Big trout » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:35 pm

What a wacky world we live in. I totaly understand the kick back from work. And no you cant cover every PBR and tecate can you see. But for gods sake go infest some other festival with your sponsores. They were nice people. I went there twice. But dont force feed your Advertisments!! They turn people off to your product or should I say people that know better.
Big trout

comercializing Burning Man

Postby loveshack » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:51 pm

Accually the plan is in the works, The brains of burning man have incorperated, 6 of the people on the board have quit, and they are planning to have it around the world. I will not be going to BM ever again. They have ruined it for me.
loveshack

Postby tuna guys » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:17 pm

stuart wrote:

uh, this aint really accurate
Monster provided the truck and a few pallettes of their bevvies. The rest of that camp, including their lovely bamboo structure and all the vodka they put in their mixed drinks came from camp members.

Clan Destino has provided the lovely bamboo structure and vodka for the drinks for a while now.. and long with the rest.. thank you Stuart..because it is not really accurate
tuna guys

dammmmm

Postby dj big E » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:46 am

Three years now i have wanted to meet the tuna guys maybe nekt year. Lmao
dj big E

Postby Big trout » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:39 pm

Its all just a big cluster fuck now. But I still had fun. Maybe Disney will buy them out and get some rides going. No offence to Uber carneys. But A nice log ride will do me some good. Maybe We can get starbucks to sponsore center camp and get some easy jazz going on. Also MTV can do a real world camp and script all the drama or just pre record a spring break and have Usher and Mya host it. Sounds like fun....
Big trout

Postby jaywalker » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:05 pm

Big trout wrote:But for gods sake go infest some other festival with your sponsores. They were nice people. I went there twice. But dont force feed your Advertisments!!

How do you see this as an infestation? They had the truck covered up in camp. They had it covered up (I believe) when it was powering Mutaytor on Saturday. It was when they were leaving that the covering was off.

So, I would like to know how you were force fed an advertisement? Was the truck blasting "Monster the only energy drink of the playa"? "Dance to Monster and Mutaytor for the real Buring Man Experience"? "Come take a free Monster and (insert alcohol), and forget that other energy drink"?

Why weren't people bitching last year when they did the same thing? There is no Monster stand. No Monster girls wandering around giving out things. No in your face swag.

It was a generous gift by one person, who took advantage of an opportunity, and their campmates.

Giving cigarettes out of a pack, and beers is more invasive advertising than people giving out drinks. I'm sure they didn't pour out some of the drink and put the booze in the can so you could walk around with a Monster can in you hand.

Hell, maybe I'll send in proposals to NAS and Guinness to spread their cheer around the playa next year. Logo Camp!!

But at least you had an experience, and that's what the whole this is about.
your judgement is a little off at this time- Peking Noodle Co. fortune cookie
jaywalker

Postby stuart » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:53 pm

Maybe Disney will buy them out and get some rides going. No offence to Uber carneys. But A nice log ride will do me some good. Maybe We can get starbucks to sponsore center camp and get some easy jazz going on. Also MTV can do a real world camp and script all the drama or just pre record a spring break and have Usher and Mya host it. Sounds like fun....

Maybe you can come up with more irrelevant hyperbole. Sounds like fun....
call me baby
stuart

Postby Big trout » Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:27 pm

Kiss my ass!! So then if its alright if they do it, then the next guy will think its fine and so on and so on. Stuart go hypebole yourself into a coma! lol They were nice guys, But my sis is in advertising and told me that was a product placement strategy they use at other festivities. Dont knock what you dont know chief!
Big trout

Postby Playa Face » Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:30 pm

Whoa guys hold on a minute. I meet these guys and they were really down to earth and hospitable. But by all means dont let the corperate monsters in thru the back door.
Whos that beast walking down the street? Oh thats Playa face.....
Playa Face

Postby stuart » Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:40 pm

your sister may be in advertising, but I work for Disney. I know what I am talking about. I also spent 9 days next to those nice folks and never would have guessed that they had a sponsorship. They had a few palletes of their beverages and my camp had a dozen thirty packs of tecate. Now, their camp was over 40 people. Mine was 5. So, we had more product placement per capita than they did.

Also, one night after sunset I was powering up my projectors. They go through this warm up thingy where they say DELL, then the sony DVD players say Sony DVD for a moment before the macro kicks in. Some asshole told me to quit it with the advertising. WTF?! Can I get my reality check please?
call me baby
stuart

Postby geekster » Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:44 pm

okay, now waitaminute folks. Monster let someone use their truck. It already had the logo on it before they made that decision. The people that drove the truck DID make an effort to cover the logos. While I was in the area I saw no Monster swag. All I did see was a brown trashcan with some iced down Monster in it but NOBODY was handing them out, encouraging people to take them, anything. I did reach in a grab one ... there wasn't anyone nearby and it looked like it had been placed for general consumption though that fact wasn't being promoted. It hit the spot, thanks. I don't generally like energy drinks, didn't particularly like the Monster either once my initial thirst was quenched and probably won't be buying any but ... I am thankful someone made them available.

Seems to me that all of this is out of a poor judgement call during exodus to remove the covering of the logos before rolling out. I would suspect that a good portion of the population was gone or in the process of tearing down so probably didn't even see it. I know I didn't from Mercury a couple of blocks away from them.

I got a 24oz Pabst at Piss Clear's party. Nobody is bitching at them for "promoting" Pabst. I don't know if Adrian bought it, someone else bought it, or someone donated it ... don't really give a pinch of owl scat either.

This is an obvious case of prople trying to create a bigger issue out of a little one. I think it is safe to say that this thread has served its purpose and people will be more likely to leave logos covered until they are out of BRC. Jeeez.
geekster

Just for the record

Postby Crunchy Mama 2 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:10 pm

Stuart & Geekster - I always appreciate your posts and totally agree with you on this topic.

On another board someone had a great point about logos - they're all over the playa on RV's, cars, tents, camelbacks, on the Chai boxes in center camp etc. My first year in 1996 was full of really funny corportate art that had been messed with, and when Christian destroyed the mini town "HellCo" I saw McSatans, Crap (gap) and starfucks all get stomped on by the Subjugator and friends, it was hilarous. What a fun year.

Side note: just for the record the Mutaytor has no sponsorship or deal with Monster. We know several of the amazing people with Clan Destino including one of their campers who works for Monster and donated all the drinks. We had a great time playing at their camp on Wednesday.

Best,
Crunchy
Crunchy Mama 2

Postby Ivy » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:05 pm

Crunchy,

Did not the Mutaytor previously have a sponsorship from or some sort affiliation with Monster? I know there were signs up while the band performed at Venice Carnavale 2003, and I was told at the time that the band did same some sort of deal or promotion with them.
Ivy

Postby Isotopia » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:10 pm

I know there were signs up while the band performed at Venice Carnavale 2003, and I was told at the time that the band did same some sort of deal or promotion with them.

I'm thinking that if it looks like a camel and smells like a camel and its nose is pokin' in the tent...
Isotopia

Postby geekster » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:18 pm

The only thing I can see that looks like any connection is that the first link listed in the Mutaytor links page ... http://www.mutaytor.com/links/index.php

Is Monster Energy Drink. Not sure why ... could be just because the crew likes it ... but that could be a camel nose.

I am more fond of camel toes myself.
geekster

Postby unjonharley » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:22 pm

geekster wrote:The only thing I can see that looks like any connection is that the first link listed in the Mutaytor links page ... http://www.mutaytor.com/links/index.php

Is Monster Energy Drink. Not sure why ... could be just because the crew likes it ... but that could be a camel nose.

I am more fond of camel toes myself.

\/
That looks like a first class nose.
/Running to catch the last basket of the day
unjonharley

Postby geekster » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:27 pm

Moot point anyway. The Mutaytor says they aren't doing any more big shows at BRC ... and it might be partially for reasons like this, I wouldn't know for sure. Once you start going more commercial, some things might have to give. Still, I have a friend ... couple of friends ... that know some of the Mutaytor folks personally and they say they are wonderful people. While I don't know any of them, I will defer to my friends' judgement.
geekster

Postby Ivy » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:58 pm

I know a lot of the band members personally. Some I get along with, some I don't. I'm not sure I would go so far as to say whether they are "good" people or "bad" people. Some of them are really great IMO. Others you couldn't pay me enough to hang out with. I'm sure that reflects as much on me as it does on them.

This much I know: they are people, like any other people. They have their good and their bad, just like all the rest of us.
Ivy

Postby Sensei » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:24 pm

Tryin' to get all reasonable on us eh? Well, it won't work.
Sensei

Next

Return to 2004 Camps, Art & Activities