Charged particles

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Charged particles

Postby FireTommy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:39 pm

A question for the physics folks. I'm told that the reason I can never shake out the dust from anything is that it sticks from an electrostatic attraction. We built a monkey hut with a covering of Aluminet and I fully expect the thing to load up quick with a shit-ton of playa.
But, do you think it's possible to induce a charge on the fabric itself, so as to REPEL the dust? ( insert mad scientist cackling, you know where I'm going with this ). Possible? Or one too many bong hits?
....like a dingo in a maternity ward....
FireTommy

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Go the F*ck to Sleep

Re: Charged particles

Postby strange love » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:44 pm

Just love the dust man.
strange love

Burning Since: 2011

Postby CarrieSnarf » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:56 pm

Can't really speak to the charge thing- biology is my sport, not physics. But I can tell you that a bit of dilute vinegar sprayed on before you rinse you stuff will help tremendously with the dusty.
thesammiewagon.blogspot.com
CarrieSnarf

Postby ygmir » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:01 pm

FireTommy wrote:A question for the physics folks. I'm told that the reason I can never shake out the dust from anything is that it sticks from an electrostatic attraction. We built a monkey hut with a covering of Aluminet and I fully expect the thing to load up quick with a shit-ton of playa.
But, do you think it's possible to induce a charge on the fabric itself, so as to REPEL the dust? ( insert mad scientist cackling, you know where I'm going with this ). Possible? Or one too many bong hits?

there was a group working on something similar a couple years ago..........it's in a thread "Power to the playa"......they were linked to "Ein Hammer" for a time......they had tunnels/pipes and were using static and atmospheric charge to create electricity.....as far as I know, the pipes are still there.........the lead and second got thrown in jail and deported at some point, so, I think they left it all.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Major Krash » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:56 am

sounds like too many bong hits...
"If you don't think too good, don't think too much" Ted Williams
Major Krash

Burning Since: 2001