What project are you procrastinating on?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: What project are you procrastinating on?

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:51 am

trilobyte wrote:I have a lot to do, but don't feel like I'm procrastinating on anything. When I'm not working on some project that still needs to be done, it's because i'm working on some other fun thing. I had wanted to go through the stuff in our storage space weeks ago, but juggling projects is a bit like trying to get a rubik's cube solved… just finally got some stuff in place yesterday, so I started on that today. I really would have liked to have gotten to the dump today to get rid of all the stuff I don't need, but by the time I finished up it was too late in the day to make that happen. Get 'er done!!!

trilo. I've watched you in the work in progress thread, and if you don't get everything done, it's because it wasn't humanly possible, not because you procrastinated. So, get off this thread and let the parade of shame and suffering continue, nu?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby illy dilly » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:54 pm

trilobyte wrote:Illy, forget about a dome cover, get the little guys a bunch of sunscreen :)

LOL!
"Well, since we didn't get the dome cover finished... Here is your own person bottle of water and sunscreen"
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby ranger magnum » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:13 pm

Finishing rebuilding the dash a/c in the rv. Just put in a new compressor tonight, now i have to flush and fill with r134a.
Drugs may take you down the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.
ranger magnum

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Postby portaplaya » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:10 pm

ranger magnum wrote:Finishing rebuilding the dash a/c in the rv. Just put in a new compressor tonight, now i have to flush and fill with r134a.

Are you doing this or procrastinating? We want to know what you should be doing, but aren't.
portaplaya

Postby ranger magnum » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:49 pm

Well i was procrastinating, as ive had the parts for two weeks, but when i read this thread i got on it. I finished it today and filled it with freon, and, i am happy to say, the rv now has ice cold dash ac!
Drugs may take you down the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.
ranger magnum

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Postby Lonesomebri » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:20 pm

Man, I was kinda imagining procreating on some playa art but wasn't really sure if that violated any of the 10 core principles.
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby Canoe » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:31 pm

I see that even without a ticket, I should have checked the vehicle over in anticipation of the ticket instead of procrastinating.
Tie-rod end is loose. Adjuster is rust-fused. Water pump bearing started squealing and is leaking coolant. Front spider on the rear drive shaft has major clunk.
But the ignition work has the engine running smooth, and with low end torque again.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby Canoe » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:01 pm

Procrastinated on choosing the electrolyte and getting it ordered. Almost didn't make it in time. Luckily, enough powder concentrate to make 160 gallons should be in Reno waiting for me as of next Friday.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:07 pm

Your mom.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby tamarakay » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:18 pm

This last little bit of packing. Not much left really, just to the tedious stage. I don't want to put the wine/food in until we are about to pull out. Ken wants to put the wine on the floor and put stuff on top of it. We are having a stand off, so we can call it procrastinating instead of he is being a dickhead. A sweet dickhead with a nice ass, but a dickhead all the same. :wink:
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby danibel » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:42 pm

I bought a bunch of fun fur with the intention of making hats. I even have some cut and ready to sew, but firing up the sewing machine hasn't happened.

Perhaps one of these sleepless nights I will wander over to the sewing table and sew a hat or two.

I had the best intentions... oops.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby pink » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:31 pm

I got a really cool ribbon on a gift from a client this year that totally matches our camp colors, and I want to make a hatband. Hat is in the van, ribbon has been on the coffee table since March.

And I need to transform another hat from a piece of very politically incorrect faux memorobilia into my MOOP Nazi costume. Or maybe I won't transform it.

And I need to start putting the stuff on my list into the van. I'm looking at it as I type. I'm still looking at it.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby Oldguy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:00 am

I still need to bling out my buggy, I'm thinking of just waiting to visit Pimp-Ur-Ride on Playa and asking for artification...
Image current moon

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Alva Edison
Oldguy

Camp Name: Dogpatch

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:26 pm

So, how are you procrastinating? (I can always use new tecniques.) I discovered that I can make cute tags with camp name, etc., on them with (essentially) shrinky dinks. Always best to procrastinate with some plausibility.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elorrum » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:25 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:So, how are you procrastinating? (I can always use new tecniques.) I discovered that I can make cute tags with camp name, etc., on them with (essentially) shrinky dinks. Always best to procrastinate with some plausibility.

grooveshark mix tapes. probably won't play them probably won't have a stereo to play them on... but feel compelled to record music.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby Zhust » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:12 pm

Lonely Lamppost lights up now ...
2012819 Lonely Lamppost.jpg

I didn't tighten the cables in the trusses after carrying it around the past week or so, so it needed to lean on the clothesline. And I didn't put all the sheathing on so it's all naked like. But it's brighter than I expected and the 55Hz flicker really sells it. The light sensor for the safety markers works (e.g. if the main light goes out, the markers light up). I'm still looking for the part of a roll of retroreflective tape I know is around here somewhere.

Lonely Lamppost mimics the rural street lights denoting some desolate intersection. I'll place it when I get there between two pairs of works in deep Playa. Each pair will define a "road" named by hyphenating its termini like many rural roads I've seen. I'll make signs on-Playa as well and mount them. It's about 10' tall and breaks down into 2.5-foot sections so I can bring it on the train. I give it about 50-50 odds of surviving perfectly all week (about 80-20 odds it'll survive someone aggressively climbing it), and about 90-10 odds it'll still be working in some fashion all through the event. It won't survive a drunk driver. :wink:

Now, on to the other projects to finish in 2 days. Hooray I can still tap my manic side!

(P.S. I decided that I'm making "curiosities": things that are too impractical for engineering and not complete enough for art — more like a catalyst for interaction.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby Marscrumbs » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:28 pm

I procrastinated unpacking the trailer coming home. Think I just turn around and go.
Marscrumbs

Postby pink » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:22 pm

I dumped my tanks, topped off my propane and washed the van. But this morning I discovered I was two hours short of continuing education to renew my professional license, which has to be sent off before I leave. So 2 hour Webinar tonight.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby Zhust » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:26 pm

So the MicroTrike was supposed to be a way for me to get around, trundling along, and small enough to carry with me. You sit on the bars (to-be-cushioned if necessary) behind the steer tube and the padded bar in back is a lumbar rest.

MicroTrike.jpg

Alas, it's completely unrideable, and unfortunately not in a comical way either.

It's supposed to steer by the pedals, but it's way too much force to propel it to accomplish any steering at the same time. Even with handlebars mounted, you can't get it to turn. Oh well.

Fortunately, all is not wasted because it was designed to be a real Transformer, albeit a much more mundane one:

MicroTrikeTransform.jpg

Engineering wise, an impressive feat for a few weeks' design and a few days of rushed assembly. Plus it gets hipster cred for being a fixie.

Too bad about the unrideable bit, though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby Milayna » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:06 am

Elorrum wrote:This is gonna be a last minute burn prep for me. I have a huge impending task of my mother's final effects... can't think of any other way to say she's going soon and my sister and I are working to help her. I have everyone's blessing to attend burning man. They fear it will ruin me if I don't go after our year of trials.

So packing and moving won't be for burning man necessarily.

I'm in a very similar boat Elorrum, my mother is not expected to live more than a few more months. Big part of the reason I didn't think I'd make it this year. Good luck with your move, and enjoy your burn.
Milayna

Postby Elorrum » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:53 pm

Milayna, I'm sorry you are going through this. If you are going, I hope you enjoy your burn as well.

Zhust, definitely worth the try, certainly points for a cool thing. sorry it didn't work.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks