Do YOU bring an "i" device 2 the playa?

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

Do YOU bring an "i" device 2 the playa?

Postby Patiencepie » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:38 pm

Do you bring your i-device? iPhone, iPad to the playa? If you don't have a regular camera, do you take pics w/ your iPhone? Who does this? Good idea, bad idea? Keep them in a ziplock? Just wondering. Thanks!
Patiencepie

Re: Do YOU bring an "i" device 2 the playa?

Postby captain mcguiver » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:44 pm

Since it's my phone, I bring it. But I lock it away in a small Pelican case and don't even touch it until I leave. I can't imagine how the alkaline dust interacts inside your speaker grills, mic and power ports. I wouldn't touch it out there. Haven't burned in two years but I hear people at center camp hang out and drink coffee with their heads buried in I-devices. If they are checking their Facebook I will suggest they crawl inside the man at say 9:30pm on Saturday
captain mcguiver

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: XaraLustmonkeysPlayaQBatCntryBunyMethLab

Postby trilobyte » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:08 am

I generally power down my phone as I leave Reno, and don't turn it back on until I'm on my way home. Last year I switched my phone to airplane mode (which saved on batteries) and carried it with me so I could play with some of the photo toy apps. The image quality isn't as good as what I got with a mid-range point and shoot digital camera, and I wouldn't choose it over a dedicated digital camera but it made for a nice compliment.

Weather-wise, last year was unusually good with nothing that I considered a 'real' dust storm - just a couple minor kickups. I considered the iPhone to be relatively safe in those conditions, since everything connected to the device's camera is contained beneath the gorilla glass body (no moving lens to get dust caught in). In more severe conditions I wouldn't have considered pulling the camera out. Your mileage may vary, of course. If you do take something out there, I recommend making a lock screen wallpaper image that includes some kind of "if found" contact info (name/email/friend's phone #/etc).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby BBadger » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:11 am

No phone, but I bring a camera. The thought of seeing some schmuck hauling around an iPad to take pictures would be pretty amusing though.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby lemur » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:16 am

hooray

another thread to publicly register the 'OMG YOU USE A CELL PHONE?' ...and 'I GO TO BURNING MAN TO GET AWAY FROM CELL PHONES' stuff!
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:35 am

I'll be i devicing it up 24/7 at this burn. I use the calendar and alarm functions more than I talk on the phone irl. The camera is phenom and much easier to clean the lens than a point and shoot.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Lonesomebri » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:41 am

I always bring several "i"gnition devices 4 the playa, otherwise, what's the point?
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby maladroit » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:27 pm

I'm bringing an iPhone, in a heavy rubber case, screen protector, dust plugs, and ziploc bag. It will mostly stay off, except for a probably rare photo or trading numbers. The main use will be setting a GPS waypoint at my camp and using it to navigate back, especially from deep playa or in a storm. I have a standalone app so I don't need network access to see maps, or maybe iBurn 2012 will be out soon.
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Bob » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:35 pm

lemur wrote:hooray

another thread to publicly register the 'OMG YOU USE A CELL PHONE?' ...and 'I GO TO BURNING MAN TO GET AWAY FROM CELL PHONES' stuff!

Film is better.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby dragonpilot » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:51 pm

I'm bringing a satellite phone so I can call my stock broker daily and check on how the market is doing. And it's also a convenient way for him to contact me when there's a hot deal that he thinks I should buy.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Eric » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:43 pm

dragonpilot wrote:I'm bringing a satellite phone so I can call my stock broker daily and check on how the market is doing. And it's also a convenient way for him to contact me when there's a hot deal that he thinks I should buy.

That's tiresome. I have my assistant wait for the calls so I can go have fun (which also makes sure someone is there to help the chef make my meals & to help the maid clean the RV)
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby captain mcguiver » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:03 pm

maladroit wrote:I'm bringing an iPhone, in a heavy rubber case, screen protector, dust plugs, and ziploc bag. It will mostly stay off, except for a probably rare photo or trading numbers. The main use will be setting a GPS waypoint at my camp and using it to navigate back, especially from deep playa or in a storm. I have a standalone app so I don't need network access to see maps, or maybe iBurn 2012 will be out soon.

Wait , what? How do you get a "Gps waypoint" on a phone with no network connection? The GPS is tower triangulation based,not space based satellite. Without network, your phone has no idea where you are. How do you expect it to set up a waypoint? Sure you can browse maps offline, but you can't use the GPS on an iphone as far as I know, without a few towers around. Hmnn, I've seen references to GPS without service by map caching, but I haven't gotten it to work.

What software are you using? Do you pre-cache maps? How do you know where the Actual city is before you go?
captain mcguiver

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: XaraLustmonkeysPlayaQBatCntryBunyMethLab

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:04 pm

Eric wrote:
dragonpilot wrote:I'm bringing a satellite phone so I can call my stock broker daily and check on how the market is doing. And it's also a convenient way for him to contact me when there's a hot deal that he thinks I should buy.

That's tiresome. I have my assistant wait for the calls so I can go have fun (which also makes sure someone is there to help the chef make my meals & to help the maid clean the RV)

That's fine, if your assistant is trustworthy. Mine will tell the stock-broker all sorts of nonsense.
It's so hard to find good help these days...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby shykat » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:06 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Eric wrote:

That's fine, if your assistant is trustworthy. Mine will tell the stock-broker all sorts of nonsense.

I'm sure there is campp for that.
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix
shykat

Postby trilobyte » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:13 pm

Don't forget using the satphone to order pizza delivery from Reno and the occasional hooker. Gotta support the local economy :mrgreen:
trilobyte
Site Admin

Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Eric » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:17 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Eric wrote:

I keeping telling you "electro-shock collars", but do you listen? (Just don't hire anyone from Retrofrolic...)
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:01 pm

I can't afford Retrofrolic...
Last edited by theCryptofishist on Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Re: Do YOU bring an "eye" device 2 the playa?

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:03 pm

yes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby portaplaya » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:26 pm

I bring a tablet (not an iPad) because I have a wearable action cam, a ContourGPS. It communicates by BlueTooth to show its current framing and the settings for the camera can be changed by the tablet.

Since the other option is guessing if the camera is aimed correctly on the handlebars of my bike (or a headband, or attached to a post for a time lapse set, etc.) and you can normally only change settings with a PC, the tablet is pretty invaluable for video work out there with this camera.
portaplaya

Postby Bob » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:57 pm

Film is still better.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby portaplaya » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:26 pm

Bob wrote:Film is still better.

As soon as they make a wearable film-based action cam that shoots 60fps, I'm all over that!
portaplaya

Postby darius » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:05 am

Yes, yes I do. iDevices are fantastic for playa dj's. Beats the heck out of burying your discontinued technic 1200's in dust. And what's so wrong with working on the playa anyway? If you need to trade a quick stock, or make some tweaks to a website your working on, so be it. Burn how you wanna burn, right?

I don't really take any precautions, but I might wrap my iPad in plastic wrap this year. Just know that your device is disposable, and don't expect it to work afterwards, even though it probably still will.

d.
darius

Burning Since: 2009

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:39 am

Just my iThneed.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby maladroit » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:58 am

Shemaghs are thneeds.
maladroit

Postby shroom » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:38 am

I brought my ipod to use as a clock as I put up my cell phone when I arrived. I used it for music a few times and planned on using it for the 'time to burn' app but forgot. It's a great app to read on the way, just forgot to get my ipod out when I was enjoying the burn. I think that's a good thing.
When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; Isaiah 43:2
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

Postby VultureChow » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:59 am

I'm bringing my Nexus 7. My blackberry as well. My deal with my parents, who worry a lot, was to attempt email once a day. The Nexus is light and small enough to carry around.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby RedHeaven » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:07 am

I'm old school. I got me a dumb phone, I bring it to call my hubby. Everyone else can fuck off ;)
And I bring an old iPod classic so we can dork out on our sound system when the live music takes a break.
Then I take my old digital Casio camera that takes AA batts. Works like a charm. I just had one break on me, it went to 6 burning mans, pretty awesome!! Glad I got a couple for the price of one on ebay back in 1924. haha
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby Elliot » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:05 am

RedHeaven wrote:I'm old school. I got me a dumb phone, I bring it to call my hubby. Everyone else can fuck off ;)
And I bring an old iPod classic so we can dork out on our sound system when the live music takes a break.
Then I take my old digital Casio camera that takes AA batts. Works like a charm. I just had one break on me, it went to 6 burning mans, pretty awesome!! Glad I got a couple for the price of one on ebay back in 1924. haha

If that's "old school" then I'm hanging around with Plato himself. :lol: I bring a 25 year old travel alarm clock to make sure I go to my GP&E shifts and a few other specific events on time.
I don't own a cell phone. Had one for a year or two some years back and found it nothing but an expensive nuisance. (Would be nice to have one in the car for emergency, but not at the price.) The fanciest technology I own is this ten year old desktop computer I'm using right now.
Waitaminnitt.... I own a fancy digital SLR camera, but that's because the magazine I work for bought it for me. I guess they got tired of scanning my slides. And a cheap shirt-pocket digital for casual use. But to the Playa I bring a ten-dollar disposable film camera, in case I come across something I absolutely want a record of. :D
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:12 am

I'll have a camera to take pics of "Millipoding" camp! :wink:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby maladroit » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:04 am

Elliot wrote:I don't own a cell phone. Had one for a year or two some years back and found it nothing but an expensive nuisance. (Would be nice to have one in the car for emergency, but not at the price.)

All cell phone networks are required to let through a 911 call regardless of whether the phone is a subscriber or not. Any phone, as long as it works and is able to work on the current cell networks, can be used for an emergency. If you don't keep one on your person, it's a good idea to keep an old phone charged in your car for an emergency. You can probably pick up an old Nokia for free.
maladroit

Next

Return to Power & Illumination