Ultimate DJ List for 2012?

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Re: Ultimate DJ List for 2012?

Postby kalouts1 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:13 am

AHAHA...
kalouts1

Postby LegendZero » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:44 pm

People get so confrontational over musical taste I never really understood why. Personally I just really hope someone plays some swinghouse on the playa. I have really been into it for a while and got to hear someone spinning it for the first time at the AZ regional.

That said, I dont have a clue if my dream team would enjoy the desert, but I would love to hear them live.

Pretty lights
VNVnation
Caravan palace
Klaypex
Glitch Mob
Blackmill
Lindsay Stirling
Bassnectar (because I have had to miss seeing him live twice now damnit)

Edit: almost forgot
Ronald Jenkees
Exphixa
Madeon
And since we are dreaming big, Pendulum
LegendZero

Postby luciddisconnect » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:44 pm

I won't be able to get to the playa in I don't know how long but I can fantasize:

1. This Morn' Omina (Ritual Trance) [i]This would be PERFECT music for heathens to spin fire to[/i]
2. Clark (IDM)
3. The Field (Microhouse)
4. Enduser (Breakcore)
5. The Chemical Brothers (Massively Famous)
luciddisconnect

Postby motskyroonmatick » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:57 pm

Hey, I just want to recognize and pass up (again) one of the biggest DJ names in the world that I would buy tickets for in DefaUlTiA because at the burn their normal set sounds way less exciting than 10+somethings else I've heard out there.

Then again if they step up and bring something new I may be all ears, knees and elbows.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:21 am

motskyroonmatick wrote:Hey, I just want to recognize and pass up (again) one of the biggest DJ names in the world that I would buy tickets for in DefaUlTiA because at the burn their normal set sounds way less exciting than 10+somethings else I've heard out there.

Then again if they step up and bring something new I may be all ears, knees and elbows.

?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:05 am

fuck the cowbell..

WE NEED MORE GINO!

breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby theduskah » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:36 pm

Ohm Wrecker - http://soundcloud.com/ohm_wrecker
Pressha - http://soundcloud.com/pressha
Humpfree LowGart - http://soundcloud.com/humpfree-lowgart
HeRobust
Glitch & Swagga
Nasty Nasty
Yo people! Check out soundcloud.com/dubble_penetration for some free tunes and things! Thanks!
theduskah

Postby Gunslinger » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:51 pm

Mark Farina is always a good vibe.
Sander Kleinenberg
Jimmy Van M

fuck Skrillex
and since there's some impossible names flying around out there, I'd like to see Pink Floyd there... live DJ set why the hell not.
Gunslinger

Postby gabrielkg » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:14 pm

Similarly to my musical endeavors at rainbow serpent festival here in Aus, I can imagine myself holding a lineup on day 1 with grand plans, and seeing approximately 5% of those i set out to due to beautiful distractions.

Still a lineup of sorts would be kinda cool anyways. Is there a central place that releases them closer to the date?
gabrielkg

Postby Katiebaby25 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:36 pm

I'm dying to see Knife Party.... doubt it will happen but it would be so amazing if the first time seeing them was at the Burn! Last year I only saw one act that I had planned on seeing so it really doesn't matter what the lineup is... there's so much great music everywhere half the time you don't leave where you are to see someone else because where you are is already so awesome... I know what I DON'T want to hear again though... as unbelievable as this seems, someone was blasting Nicklecrap from their Mutant Vehicle last year. That shit shouldn't even be allowed :P
*Sgnoflake*
Space Gnomes <;)
Katiebaby25

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Space Gnomes

Postby Theres Always One » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:04 pm

gabrielkg wrote:Similarly to my musical endeavors at rainbow serpent festival here in Aus, I can imagine myself holding a lineup on day 1 with grand plans, and seeing approximately 5% of those i set out to due to beautiful distractions.

Still a lineup of sorts would be kinda cool anyways. Is there a central place that releases them closer to the date?

Rockstar Librarian

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rockstar ... 5057538915
Theres Always One

Postby MichaelScalar » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:19 pm

Paolo mojo
flow & zeo
mobius strum
michael scalar
mario moto
amirali
jamie jones
eats everything
subb an
art department
maceo plex
etc

more deep house...tech house artists...not djs..artists...every idiot with a laptop is a dj and nothing against them but its rarely art so id like to see artists.
tune in, drop out, get down
MichaelScalar

Postby dj_john69 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:21 pm

Moby
Lazy Rich
Chemical Brothers (old school set)
Fatboy Slim (old school set)
Pendulum (live set)
Fuck you, fuck you...you're cool, fuck you !!
dj_john69

Camp Name: Root Society & Osiris & BRS

Postby RedHeaven » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:40 pm

As much as I love real artists and the creation of unique Burning Man sounds, I HAVE to admit that some of my favorite musical moments out on the playa was when some Joe was just playing his ipod in a nice sound system.

Seriously.....I NEVER liked the song "Lips Like Sugar" by Echo and the Bunneymen in high school, but when I heard it at Glitter camp in 08 it sounded beyond awesome, like a slice of the past mingling with the now to create a perfect little moment. Sure it helps I had some really really nice company sharing a plywood love seat by a fire barrel with me, but I somehow yearn for those kinds of moments more at Bman than I do seeing some fun kickass act like Infected Mushroom at OT. (which was really good last year but....wouldnt trade that Echo moment for it thats for sure!!!)
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby discobug » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:56 am

Seriously? This is the best DJ list that can be conceived of these days? :roll:
There was a time in Black Rock City when one could actually dance to the music that was played. It had a continuous beat and inspired uncontrollable ass shakin' till sunrise and into the next day. Somehow folks began to believe dub step is dance music and Bass Nectar is the new messiah. The last couple of years I'd ride up and down 2 and 10 and all I'd hear is fucking dub step. Maybe it's just me (and everyone else I know that really enjoys dancing and has been kicking up playa for more than a decade) but IMHO, you cannot dance to dub step unless you know the track so well that you can anticipate when it's going to abruptly change. It is fundamentally NOT dance music. So a few camps playing dub step, OK. But will someone PLEASE rescue the masses and return us to a time when you could really dance almost everywhere that you heard music (and some places where you didn't).

And for the record, my list would include, perhaps:
Paul Van Dyke, Roy Davis Jr., Miles Maeda, DJ Dan, Jondi and Spesh, Mystre and Dyloot, Cashmere/Green Velvel, Plastikman, Boy George (yes, he's an amazing DJ), Stacey Pullen, Derrick Carter, DJ Demitri (of DeeLite), Carl Cox, Sasha, Josh Wink, Basement Jaxx, Marques Wyatt, Colette and Gene Ferris. And I've been fortunate enough to hear some of these folks on the playa in years past.
discobug

Postby discobug » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:00 am

In closing, if you aren't using mixing equipment/software as a musical instrument and adding to the experience of playing a couple of tracks in sequence, you're not really doing anything that an inanimate object couldn't as well...."Real DJs create 'art', they don't just press 'start'."
discobug

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:09 am

Alan Freed, Wolfman Jack, Casey Kasem, and Ernest Tubb.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Anybody knows the name of an Iranian dj paying friday pm-sat

Postby Djpaulnewyork » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:03 pm

... At a small dome on the esplanade? He was very good!
Djpaulnewyork

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Puffy yellow

Previous

Return to 2012 Art & Performance