Bikes!!!

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Bikes!!!

Postby bpenzarella » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:14 pm

So, I totally missed out on renting a bike from one of the local Reno bike shops...raaaaawr!
Are there anymore options for renting a bike? Will they rent out a few on the playa or are they only supplying quick, one time bike rides??
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
bpenzarella

Burning Since: 2012

Re: Bikes!!!

Postby MikeGyver » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:24 pm

There's probably more threads on this than anything else. Use the search function. But yes, there are "yellow bikes" you just have to find them.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
MikeGyver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:53 pm

bpenzarella wrote:...Will they rent out a few on the playa...??

Um, no commerce on the playa (except for ice, coffee, and RV tank servicing). If you're looking to rent, make your arrangements off-playa.

Make sure it has wide tires and working brakes.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby BBadger » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:54 pm

You can sometimes find bikes for sale on the way to the event for about $50 each. Probably depends on how early you arrive.

There is no bike rental at BM in a formal sense. However, there are sometimes yellow community bikes around at BM. Good luck getting one as they are often hoarded by assholes, and you should not hoard them either.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby MikeGyver » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:01 pm

Another option is check Reno's craigslist and see if any are cheap bikes that you can buy and donate when you leave.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
MikeGyver

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby stevefarris24 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:23 pm

BBadger wrote:There is no bike rental at BM in a formal sense. However, there are sometimes yellow community bikes around at BM. Good luck getting one as they are often hoarded by assholes, and you should not hoard them either.

And I've HAD IT with people hoarding them. I'm bringing bolt cutters this year for any douchebag who locks one of those bikes up!
stevefarris24

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:47 pm

stevefarris24 wrote:
BBadger wrote:There is no bike rental at BM in a formal sense. However, there are sometimes yellow community bikes around at BM. Good luck getting one as they are often hoarded by assholes, and you should not hoard them either.

And I've HAD IT with people hoarding them. I'm bringing bolt cutters this year for any douchebag who locks one of those bikes up!

Yes!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lemur » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:21 pm

i like it when people put a bunch of shit on the bike ..like hang a bunch of crap off it like their bag and water bottle and some other shit.. because most people arent quite dickish enough to take the bike... which means that i can actually use the bike as intended..

i neatly pile up their shit intended to 'save' the bike in a pile where the bike 'was' and ride off with the fucker. (usually next to their friends bikes)

i use them as intended.. one way rides.. when im done i park it out in the open, or before i take my butt off the seat ask a few folks around my destination if they want it..

this 'claiming' of the bike by attaching some saree and a fanniback to the handlebars is bullshit.

people who hoard bikes is bullshit

people who 'save' a bike for a friend is bullshit.

oh uhm i guess this little rant should go in the dead horse thread...

oh and uhh.. sorry if i stranded you at the showers way back there away from the city.... it might be a dick move but hey, you knew that someone might want that bike when you got on it.. i only did it that one time
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby lemur » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:24 pm

oh and uhh.. these are what yellow bikes look like:

they say "YELLOW BIKE" in red paint on the chain guard (if its still there) and have a tag on the neck that says shit about its use/etc (if its still there)
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Elliot » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:06 pm

I've always thought of the Yellow Bikes as somebody's art project -- great fun but not necessarily practical. This year I have been asked to help repair them -- not sure how that will go.

That said, I highly recommend lending out bicycles on a small scale -- for those of us who have the transportation capacity, storage capacity, and repair ability.

This began my first year, when a total stranger asked to borrow a bicycle on the first day. She wanted it for an hour or two, to find her friends, but I had brought a couple of spares so I told her to use it so long as she liked. By week's end I had forgotten about it. Then she returned it. I was astonished. (File under "Eye-Opening Burning Man Experiences.")

My "customers" are always delighted, and I always wind up with more bicycles than I started with -- from repair-customers who gift their bicycle to the loaner fleet at the end of the week. A wonderful BRC "community activity".
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby oneshowatatime » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:32 pm

If the playa is as soft this year as what I'm hearing, is it worth bringing a bike to BRC? That may sound stupid, but I've only been the past 2 years and the playa has been in good condition. Has there ever been a year when the playa was so soft it was kinda useless to try riding a bike, or is it always just kinda "patchy"--soft in some areas and hard packed in others? Curious to hear thoughts from some more seasoned burners...

Can't wait to get dusty with yall!
oneshowatatime

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Help But Notice

Postby portaplaya » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:47 pm

stevefarris24 wrote:

Just report it to the Rangers. They will contact the support team for the Yellow Bikes. From the one encounter I saw, heated words and threats to evict from the event result.
By rumor, I heard that spray painting a Yellow Bike a different color resulted in law enforcement action.
portaplaya

Postby Elliot » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:22 pm

oneshowatatime wrote:If the playa is as soft this year as what I'm hearing, is it worth bringing a bike to BRC? That may sound stupid, but I've only been the past 2 years and the playa has been in good condition. Has there ever been a year when the playa was so soft it was kinda useless to try riding a bike, or is it always just kinda "patchy"--soft in some areas and hard packed in others? Curious to hear thoughts from some more seasoned burners...

The years become a bit of a blur, but I think it was either 2008 or 2009 when the surface was quite bad, and some spots almost impassable. But you should expect to come across a few soft spots, and a few dunes, any year.
I've done some walking in BRC. It's perfectly doable. And even preferable for some activities, like exploring Esplanade in the evening, or exploring your own neighborhood. But I would bring the bike this year as always. I expect you'll get at least some use out of it.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:40 am

Both 2008 and 2009 stank if you were dependent on wheels to get around. I don't want to tell anyone how frustrated I am already contemplating the reports on the playa surface.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby portaplaya » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:01 am

There is still time to get those boots and shoes broken in...
portaplaya

Postby Lonesomebri » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:11 am

I remember the year I borrowed the yellow/green/community bikes for transport.........then I saw the bike riding shirt-cocker.........
"Grow some facial hair it may help with the gender confusion" -tatonka
Your dreams are not mine to share.
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby Canoe » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:49 am

brakes.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby BBadger » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:22 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:I remember the year I borrowed the yellow/green/community bikes for transport.........then I saw the bike riding shirt-cocker.........

I imagine the reaction was like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuboJiAUMd8&feature=player_detailpage#t=95s
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby BraveNewWorld » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:16 am

My bike plan is to just grab a cheap one from Walmart and then donate it afterwards. I think you can buy a cheap one for $60 bucks or so and then clean it up a bit and pass it off to a kid who doesn't have a bike.

Does anyone know if the people who supply the yellow loaner bikes accept used bikes at the end of the event to use for next year? I will definitely clean it up as best I can before donating it.
The power of imagination makes us infinite..
BraveNewWorld

Postby portaplaya » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:31 am

BraveNewWorld wrote:My bike plan is to just grab a cheap one from Walmart and then donate it afterwards. I think you can buy a cheap one for $60 bucks or so and then clean it up a bit and pass it off to a kid who doesn't have a bike.

Does anyone know if the people who supply the yellow loaner bikes accept used bikes at the end of the event to use for next year? I will definitely clean it up as best I can before donating it.

The Yellow Bike team does not accept donated bikes. All of their bikes are the same make and model so they can use the same parts for repair and can easily be identified if repainted.
portaplaya

Postby Elliot » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:20 pm

BraveNewWorld wrote:My bike plan is to just grab a cheap one from Walmart and then donate it afterwards. I think you can buy a cheap one for $60 bucks or so and then clean it up a bit and pass it off to a kid who doesn't have a bike.

Yes, probably not much over $60,-. A couple of years ago someone gave me a Walmart "Roadmaster" bicycle that still had the price tag on it; $59,95.
And if you wish, I'm happy to accept unwanted bicycles at my Bicycle Repair And Loan Service for use as a loaner next year, or some other use. You don't need to clean it. I know it seems tacky to post this, but some folks have said I did them a favor by removing a bicycle they could not take with them on the air plane, so hopefully I did not offend anyone just now. I expect to be around 5:00 and H, in a big Blue Bird bus with a white front and a big awning over it, until Tuesday.

:D

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby BraveNewWorld » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:32 am

Elliot wrote:

Yes, probably not much over $60,-. A couple of years ago someone gave me a Walmart "Roadmaster" bicycle that still had the price tag on it; $59,95.
And if you wish, I'm happy to accept unwanted bicycles at my Bicycle Repair And Loan Service for use as a loaner next year, or some other use. You don't need to clean it. I know it seems tacky to post this, but some folks have said I did them a favor by removing a bicycle they could not take with them on the air plane, so hopefully I did not offend anyone just now. I expect to be around 5:00 and H, in a big Blue Bird bus with a white front and a big awning over it, until Tuesday.

Doesn't seem tacky to me! I will write down your info and keep it in mind for donating my bike. Thank you, Elliot! :P
BraveNewWorld

Postby Elliot » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:54 am

Wondermuss! Your bicycle would have three or four possible uses:
1. Loaner next year.
2. Gifted to a burner whose own bicycle is beyond repair.
3. Gifted locally here in Clearlake -- a very poor community.
4. Parted out to repair other bicycles, and perhaps some of the parts would be used for a larger pedal vehicle.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby BraveNewWorld » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:34 am

Elliot wrote:Wondermuss! Your bicycle would have three or four possible uses:
1. Loaner next year.
2. Gifted to a burner whose own bicycle is beyond repair.
3. Gifted locally here in Clearlake -- a very poor community.
4. Parted out to repair other bicycles, and perhaps some of the parts would be used for a larger pedal vehicle.

Excellent! Glad you responded to my post! Expect a gently-used WalMart bike at the end of the event :D
BraveNewWorld

Postby waynerd » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:00 pm

I'm thinking of stopping here on the way in, buying a bike for $55 and then donating it back after the burn. My only worry is that they won't have any left. Anyone else heard of them?

http://www.renobikeproject.com/stuff-we-do/burning-man-bikes/
Excuse me, this is way different than what was described in the brochure!
waynerd

Camp Name: Camp Come Again

Postby Marscrumbs » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:36 pm

Makes me sad seeing how trashed the yellow bikes are by week's end. I had to use them as my bike got stolen last year on thursday. Tragedy of the commons.
Marscrumbs

Postby lucky.bastard » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:57 pm

last year i bought one online at walmart and picked it up in reno... worked perfect..., maybe to late at this point but i'd give it a try.., they seemed to have a few available in the store when i got there (i think they know what kinda shit we are going to need by this point).... funny thing was it was a green beach cruiser that someone thought i had stolen from the yellow bikes... gave me a little attitude
"In cultivating my own personal sojourn of enlightenment, I've had to forego employment opportunities "
lucky.bastard

Postby Canoe » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:24 pm

lucky.bastard wrote:... funny thing was it was a green beach cruiser that someone thought i had stolen from the yellow bikes... gave me a little attitude

The donor frame for my bike project has a green front half and a yellow rear suspension cage. Just asking for trouble. Time for some paint.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby MacGlenver » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:59 pm

[media]
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby BAS » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:21 pm

I stopped by the Freewheel Community Bike Shop and talked to them about constructing some of my projects there, so I have at least some progress to report. :)
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Next

Return to Transportation