RV Dump & Water Resupply?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

RV Dump & Water Resupply?

Postby johnphoton » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:14 pm

Last year, when I tried to flag down a water truck on the playa to have it come over and fill up the fresh water tank of my camper van, I was told that the trucks were only making deliveries to people who signed up in advance. I was able to get a truck to collect my gray water but again was told I could sign up in advance. Does anyone know where I should go to sign up?

Thanks,

Johnny Photon
I do what I want, but I don't do what I should.
johnphoton

Re: RV Dump & Water Resupply?

Postby Trishntek » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:34 pm

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/event_survival/rvs.html

Do I need to discuss the toilet situation?

Even though we had a toilet, we would still alternate with the porta potties. You should only use one-ply RV toilet paper with your RV toilet - otherwise you may experience problems.

You are welcome to bring a recreational vehicle. Be aware, however, that there is no dumping station on-site, and you will not be allowed to dump on the playa - the BLM does issue citations for the dumping of gray or black water. RV servicing will be available for a $50 fee for trailers up to 24' in length and $60 for one gray and one black tank for RVs that are 25'-35' in length. Each additional tank is $30.

There is no location for scheduling RV servicing appointments. We've tried to have a sign-up booth at Playa Info in the past and it was horribly inefficient and wasted a lot of people's time. Keeping that in mind, feel free to stop by Playa Info between the hours of 11am and 1pm for more information.

Just flag 'em down!

The trucks that service RVs make their rounds between 9am and 9pm, and they have an amber flashing light on the top and a big "RV ONLY" sign on the side. The trucks patrol their "zones" in the city all day, and you can flag them down for service as they roam their quadrants, or stop them while they're in the broader neighborhood and request a local visit. In case of dire emergency/missed opportunity, you can also pedal out to Fire & Services, where you will find a Help Desk and make an appointment (out past the outer road and 6:30).

Make sure that there is someone at your camp to show the driver where to pump AND to pay for the servicing. Keep in mind that the sanitation vendor only accepts cash so plan accordingly. Also, if they can't get to your rig they're not going to be able to service it. Leave a space for the service truck to get to your RV; pump hoses cannot reach beyond 30 feet.

We also used an outdoor shower to freshen up. You should use the RV shower only every other day. Use unscented baby wipes to keep fresh between showers.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby johnphoton » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:42 pm

In case of dire emergency/missed opportunity, you can also pedal out to Fire & Services, where you will find a Help Desk and make an appointment (out past the outer road and 6:30).
By the time my rig needs dumping, it's pretty much a dire emergency. Thanks!

John
I do what I want, but I don't do what I should.
johnphoton

Postby Fizzy » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:27 pm

I'm sure this has been covered, but there are a lot of topics and a lot to look over.

I will have a small tub for washing my hair and such. It will only be used by me and one other most likely. Is it acceptable to simply let that water evaporate, or does that also defy the rules of gray water disposal? Please let me know, if it's not okay I can always put a plastic bag over it, and it will most likely dry up anyway with how hot it's supposed to be. Thoughts?
Fizzy

Burning Since: 2012

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:45 pm

Of course it is okay to have that water evaporate. You will end up with a somewhat scuzzy film in your vessel and possibly some very scuzzy water. The risk is always not evaporating enough of the water before you go. Use whatever you hauled your water out in to bring it back.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Return to Shelter & Camping