Selling a STEP ticket back into STEP?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Selling a STEP ticket back into STEP?

Postby moonar11 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:04 pm

Howdy ho,

I was lucky enough to get two STEP tickets a month or so ago. Now the intended recipient of the second ticket declined to burn this year. My intention was to sell the ticket back through STEP; give back the luck I had. But I wasn't sure how to do it so I contacted the BM Tickets help portal. Four days later I got this surprising response:

"In response to your support request, SEN-SEI of Burning Man Tickets writes:

Greetings Burner..

You can not resell a STEP ticket back into STEP.

Regards.
Burning Man Tickets."

This seems to be contrary to what the ticket FAQ says (http://tickets2.burningman.com/faq.php#stepsellback), which is:

"Q: If I buy a ticket through STEP, but then can’t go to the event, can I sell it back into STEP?
A: Yes. The only way you can sell a ticket you’ve bought through STEP is to sell it back through STEP. You may not assign or sell a STEP ticket to another person of your own choosing."

Can anyone shed some light on this? Much appreciated.
moonar11

Re: Selling a STEP ticket back into STEP?

Postby kiss-o-matic » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:34 pm

kiss-o-matic

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Eric » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:39 pm

This link will take you to the exact post by Trilobyte that kiss-o-matic is referencing:
http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?p=837562#p837562

If that doesn't work, PM Trilobyte (or me & I'll forward it on to him).
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby kiss-o-matic » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:29 am

Virgin burner. Veteran bulletin board dork.
I'm just full of surprises.

Okay, back to drinking at work...
kiss-o-matic

Postby elgypsyking » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:52 pm

I tried to apply for the step program but because I was off the grid in Hawaii the internet was a little too fritzy. Is there anyway if can buy that extra step ticket off of you? Mahalo!

Aj

elgypsyking at gmail.com
elgypsyking

Postby BBadger » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:10 pm

STEP tickets can't be directly transferred to others. You are SOL.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Franklin1948 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:36 pm

I got a $320 ticket through Step in June - which I would like to sell back. I tried yesterday, and found that I had to have a particular link to do it. I bought the ticket through Step on June 13, 2012 - The link confirming my order said a link to sell back into Step would be sent in February - which in my case made no sense.
-
I sent a message to support yesterday, but haven't received a reply. Burning Man's ticket instructions said that Step was supposed to be "hassle free" - so I wonder why the link to sell back to Step, wasn't included with my purchase confirmation. Since the deadline for selling back to Step is tomorrow, August 7th I am afraid I am going to be stuck with this ticket - particularly considering the misinformation some people have been given about the ability to sell step tickets back into step.
Franklin1948

Postby trilobyte » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:19 pm

All ticket purchasers were given instructions on how to sell tickets into STEP back in February before the program launched. The overwhelming majority of those who entered the queue were determined to go, but for those who changed their minds the procedure to request instructions and link is the same as it was for those who got tickets in the pre-sale or main sale and may have lost the original email. If you've followed the instructions in the FAQ to request it, be patient and they'll get that out to you.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Franklin1948 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:19 pm

I am sure I haven't lost any Emails- If I go back to when I registered for Step, will I find a link that I can use to sell the ticket that I later got through Step?
Franklin1948

Postby Franklin1948 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:42 pm

I went back and found the Email with instructions on how to sign up for Step, and the Email for signing up to purchase through Step which I used on February 28th with the link provided, and the March 2nd Email confirming my sign up - I also found the Email for the original ticket lottery and an Email for Frequently asked questions about Step and an Email in June confirming my step purchase - but absolutely nothing with a link to sell a ticket through step that was purchased through Step. I am certain I have not lost any Emails. I tried the link for Step sign up and I just got a message stating that Step was closed. Was the link to sell, generic so anybody with a Will call ticket or ticket that had not been delivered could use it? - If so, I would like to know what it is.
Franklin1948

Postby Straightveg » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:50 pm

from the FAQ posted here
"Q: I want to sell my tickets with STEP but got no email with instructions, what should I do?
A: If you do not receive an email by 3/1/12, please contact online support here and select “STEP: I have lost or did not receive my STEP notification email” from the drop down menu."
Black Rock City or Bust Dust!
Straightveg

Postby Psycho » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:00 pm

Franklin1948 wrote:I went back and found the Email with instructions on how to sign up for Step, and the Email for signing up to purchase through Step which I used on February 28th with the link provided, and the March 2nd Email confirming my sign up - I also found the Email for the original ticket lottery and an Email for Frequently asked questions about Step and an Email in June confirming my step purchase - but absolutely nothing with a link to sell a ticket through step that was purchased through Step. I am certain I have not lost any Emails. I tried the link for Step sign up and I just got a message stating that Step was closed. Was the link to sell, generic so anybody with a Will call ticket or ticket that had not been delivered could use it? - If so, I would like to know what it is.

Look closely at your confirmation Email (the one that states how much you were charged, and X'd out credit card #). There should be a paragraph talking about selling back into STEP. On my Email, the link doesn't appear as a 'link', just a web address in text format... Not sure why, but it made it hard to find without actually reading the Email... 8)

But it's the same 'Contact Support' link posted above. The pull-down list has an 'I need my link to sell tickets' on it... They will have to Email you back a link though, so better hurry. As I understand it, tomorrow is the last day to submit a ticket... (I assume the queue will remain active for at least a few days after to sell off any straggling tickets?)
Psycho

Postby Franklin1948 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:57 pm

I feel that I have been screwed by Burning Man tickets - After two requests for a link to sell back into Step - on Sunday and again yesterday - I got a form Email stating that Step is now closed and to sell my ticket on Eplaya - something that is impossible because it is a non transferable Step ticket.
Franklin1948

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion