Smaller shade structure for two person tent?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Smaller shade structure for two person tent?

Postby Schtev » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:40 pm

So last time I went to Burning Man, I cut custom Reflectix panels and placed them between my tent and the fly. But information on ePlaya seems to suggest that a shade structure would be more effective at beating the morning heat. Problem is though that suggested shade structures seem to be designed primarily for larger tents, communal areas, etc. What would be the best way to shade a two person tent without taking up a lot of space or sacrificing stability in heavy winds? A tarp seems like the obvious answer. I'm just not sure about the rigging without a vehicle.
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."
Schtev

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Fuckowee

Re: Smaller shade structure for two person tent?

Postby Trishntek » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:22 pm

A two person tent can be anything from a 5'X7' foot print and only 4' high. Or it can be 8'X8' foot print and 7' high. Specifics about your two-person tent would be helpful.

Generally, you want to create shade that is at least 1 foot above your tent. This creates an area for air to move and provide the basic affect provided by a tree or other natural shade source.

The simple answer would be two poles with a rope connecting them over the long dimension, at least 1 foot higher than the tent. Run two guy lines away from the poles to the ground to stabilize them as you apply tension to the main rope.

If you pound a small steel fence post or a steel rod into the playa and slip the poles over the post, it will keep them from slipping on the ground.

Then take a 12'X 16' tarp and stake it to the playa on the south side of the tent. Throw the tarp over the main rope and secure it to the ground on the north side of the tent. Guy line the tarp all around to secure is as much as possible.

Like I say, the tarp size and height of the poles would depend upon the dimensions of your tent. Many swear by the monkey hut idea, but if you don't have the means to transport several lengths of PVC, it might not be suitable for you.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Schtev » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:37 pm

Trishntek wrote:A two person tent can be anything from a 5'X7' foot print and only 4' high. Or it can be 8'X8' foot print and 7' high. Specifics about your two-person tent would be helpful.

Generally, you want to create shade that is at least 1 foot above your tent. This creates an area for air to move and provide the basic affect provided by a tree or other natural shade source.

The simple answer would be two poles with a rope connecting them over the long dimension, at least 1 foot higher than the tent. Run two guy lines away from the poles to the ground to stabilize them as you apply tension to the main rope.

If you pound a small steel fence post or a steel rod into the playa and slip the poles over the post, it will keep them from slipping on the ground.

Then take a 12'X 16' tarp and stake it to the playa on the south side of the tent. Throw the tarp over the main rope and secure it to the ground on the north side of the tent. Guy line the tarp all around to secure is as much as possible.

Like I say, the tarp size and height of the poles would depend upon the dimensions of your tent. Many swear by the monkey hut idea, but if you don't have the means to transport several lengths of PVC, it might not be suitable for you.

Yeah, sorry. The tent has a footprint of about 7'6" x 4'6", and a peak height of 3'4" (this is the tent in question). As for monkey huts, I do like that idea. I just don't like the idea of taking up that much camp space just for one person. Its too bad there isn't a mini monkey hut. I assume the PVC won't bend well at shorter lengths.

Edit: On the other hand, maybe I could find a neighbour with no shade structure who'd love to share.
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."
Schtev

Postby Trishntek » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:13 pm

It would be a great way to endear a neighbor! For tighter radius of bend, use smaller diameter PVC. I honestly don't know what else to tell you. All my shade structures are a bit larger.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Elorrum » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:24 pm

I had good luck with a kelty tripod. 12' a side, and good peak height... about 7'
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby Bob » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:26 pm

Kelty "Noah's Tarp", at REI and other outdoor shoppes. Put that up, and you can augment it w/ old bedsheets using spring clips. Use military type or MSR groundhog stakes. Very compact.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Schtev » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:35 pm

Bob wrote:Image

Kelty "Noah's Tarp", at REI and other outdoor shoppes. Put that up, and you can augment it w/ old bedsheets using spring clips. Use military type or MSR groundhog stakes. Very compact.

That picture makes Trishntek's suggestion easier to visualize. I guess the only difference from the picture would be that you'd have two guy wires from the top of the pole to the ground instead of just the one to a tree. I suppose it'd also be critical that one of those lower staked down corners be oriented Eastward. And when you you say augment with blankets, you mean like extend the shade area for better coverage?
Schtev

Postby Schtev » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:38 pm

Elorrum wrote:I had good luck with a kelty tripod. 12' a side, and good peak height... about 7'

Hey yeah, that looks promising. Way more expensive than the Noah's Tarp though.
Schtev

Postby Bob » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:40 pm

Bedsheets, not blankets. All the Kelty nylon shade things are a bit translucent compared to silver tarps, and you might want to add something lightweight like sheets on top and clipped to a couple of sides. Set it up and home and experiment.

Bob

Postby Schtev » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:43 pm

Bob wrote:Bedsheets, not blankets. All the Kelty nylon shade things are a bit translucent compared to silver tarps, and you might want to add something lightweight like sheets on top and clipped to a couple of sides. Set it up and home and experiment.

Ah yeah. I was wondering about its light permeability. Good idea.
Schtev

Postby Schtev » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:47 pm

Perhaps this shape would offer better protection in the morning.

Schtev

Postby Schtev » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:55 pm

Trishntek wrote:It would be a great way to endear a neighbor! For tighter radius of bend, use smaller diameter PVC. I honestly don't know what else to tell you. All my shade structures are a bit larger.

I take that to mean smaller diameter would still withstand the strain, so long as its schedule 40?
Schtev

Postby Bob » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:43 pm

Some people like PVC. I've been watching it fail out there for 15 years. Looks stupid, pinches and fractures under light stress, degrades in the sun. It's designed to be buried underground or in a wall.

An A-frame works, but the Kelty stuff is more idiot-proof. Also look into a pair of triangular "shade sails", I think even Home Depot sells those, though they're less compact.

Bob

Postby Schtev » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:36 am

I just came across this old thread too. These seem like excellent pitches, though I wonder how secure a tarp opening West is against a prevailing wind from the Southwest.

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=277&t=40542&p=865325
Schtev

Postby Bob » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:59 am

The Kelty tarps, shade sails or whatever can be set any number of ways. If you want to fill in to make more of a windbreak, do like I said with the bedsheets, light canvas painter's tarps or whatnot. The usual afternoon wind direction roughly aligns w/ the 6:00 road. The wind direction often reverses late at night. Doesn't usually kick up dust, but can be cold. Bring enough cord, stakes, spring clips, bungee balls and whatever so you can add as necessary. No idea what your packing and transport constraints are.

Bob

Postby Schtev » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:27 pm

Trishntek wrote:A two person tent can be anything from a 5'X7' foot print and only 4' high. Or it can be 8'X8' foot print and 7' high. Specifics about your two-person tent would be helpful.

Is there a reason you specify the compass directions you do? I would've expected the tarp to be staked East/West and open North/South.
Schtev

Return to Shelter & Camping