Burning Man Cookbook

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Burning Man Cookbook

Postby trislin » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:53 pm

Hi everyone!

I want to compile a Burning Man cookbook, an easy to use reference divided up into Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snacks, Drinks/Beverages. This year at the playa I'll be running around to different camps to take pictures of meals and jot down recipes. I'd also love as many contributions as I can get. Just a few images and a simple recipe is all I need.

Once I have enough recipes, I'll start creating The Playa Cookbook website. I may also create an app. I'm happy to credit all of the creative playa cooks/meal planners out there. When you submit, be sure to include names of who you'd like to credit for the recipe and/or the photo(s).

I'm accepting submissions anytime, but expecting most to come after this year's burn, and for the book to be a reference for 2013. Ideally, all of the pictures will be of the dish on the playa. If you've got images and recipes from the past that you're ready to share right now, go ahead and upload!

To begin, I've created a Playa Cookbook folder here: https://www.box.com/s/b01233109171b59d1f07

If you have any questions or ideas to get this project going, you can email me at malinda.coler@gmail.com.

Many thanks in advance to all who prepare food at the playa!
trislin

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Fusion Valley

Re: Burning Man Cookbook

Postby maladroit » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:57 pm

Nice idea! You could also (if you have time) take videos of people preparing their favorite dish. In the following months, you could slowly edit the videos and post them on youtube as sort of a weekly cooking show.
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby trislin » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:11 pm

maladroit wrote:Nice idea! You could also (if you have time) take videos of people preparing their favorite dish. In the following months, you could slowly edit the videos and post them on youtube as sort of a weekly cooking show.

Good idea! I'll take videos too just to have them on hand. I also want to do a cooking class at my camp on the playa. So many fun things to do!
trislin

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:37 pm

When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby CarrieSnarf » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:48 pm

Awesome idea. would love to contribute but all of my meals are pre-prepped, frozen and then reheated onsight. Any interest in them? My chicken tikka masala buritto kicks ass.
thesammiewagon.blogspot.com
CarrieSnarf

Postby trilobyte » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:56 pm

You're going to need to get in touch with Burning Man in order to get permission for your project before you start doing this, and certainly before you start snapping pictures. Using images in an app, even a free one, goes beyond what's allowed as personal use. Check the main site and get in touch with the folks at media mecca now. While I believe it's too late to register professional filming/documentary projects for this year, I'm not sure where things stand on something like this.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Bob » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:21 am

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:29 am

Foxfur?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trislin » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:28 pm

CarrieSnarf wrote:Awesome idea. would love to contribute but all of my meals are pre-prepped, frozen and then reheated onsight. Any interest in them? My chicken tikka masala buritto kicks ass.

Yes, definitely interested! That's one really good way to manage food on the playa : )
trislin

Postby trislin » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:31 pm

trilobyte wrote:You're going to need to get in touch with Burning Man in order to get permission for your project before you start doing this, and certainly before you start snapping pictures. Using images in an app, even a free one, goes beyond what's allowed as personal use. Check the main site and get in touch with the folks at media mecca now. While I believe it's too late to register professional filming/documentary projects for this year, I'm not sure where things stand on something like this.

Wow, thanks for the heads up! I'll get in touch with them. I wonder if taking pictures of food only- no people or other things- would be okay? If not, a collection of recipes, with everyone submitting their own pictures of food only ought to work. Hmm.
trislin

Return to Food & Drink