Q/POC Camp

Discuss and share theme camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates here.

Q/POC Camp

Postby fourdirections » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:37 am

I was wondering if anyone new if there is/was a Camp at Burning Man for queer people of color? I'm a returning Burner but haven't been able to figure out if there is such a camp.
If there isn't one, any people of color (or queer folks of color specifically) out there interested in starting one? :D
fourdirections

Re: Q/POC Camp

Postby glitteranddust » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:32 am

I don't think there is and I'm already involved with a camp but I'd still be interested in meeting up with queer persons of colour who go.
"A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows."

Sober on the playa? http://www.runfreecamp.com
glitteranddust

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:53 am

Yes, it's called "Radical Inclusion Camp" and it's predicted to have about 60,000 members this year. ;)
Welcome to eplaya!
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:50 pm

Like Dougly says, most camps mix it up based around a theme or more general identity ("queer camp" instead of Q/POC camp or Queer Jews or Queer Leather Camp). Comfort & Joy is one of the largest of the queer camps, and is a definite mix of people. At this point I don't know if they're still accepting members.

There's also a Queer Burners page on facebook you could try, as well as a Queer Burners webpage (you have to register to enter, I honestly don't care enough to register so I don't know if it'll be useful for you).
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:00 pm

The people of color thing is likely to be much harder. Not a lot attend the event... (I hope we don't have to have the argument about why that is.) Although, it's true that there are a fair number of Asian Americans, and out and out Asians. Also, a fair number of tribal people. African Americans not so much and hispanic/mexican/south american/central american are more represented in the pump trucks than as event-goers.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trilobyte » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:06 pm

I can't think of any that focus on just that, but can't think of any camp where queer people of color wouldn't be welcome. BRC is a pretty radically inclusive place like that.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:15 pm

dude, EVERYONE is beige on the outside.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins