Singular birgin needs a welcoming camp!

Discuss and share theme camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates here.

Singular birgin needs a welcoming camp!

Postby mycarisyoshi » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:28 pm

I was going with a friend of mine who found out last week that she's pregnant!
I'm super happy for her but unfortunately this means that she isn't going now, morning sickness and such. I'm freaking out trying to find somewhere/someone to camp with. I have a way down there from San Francisco (Where I live) and everything. Just need a camp.
I was going to camp with her and without her the camp she stays with can't accommodate me by myself. Via her I also had access to a ticket which I now can't buy.
I'm trying for the final sale right now but I don't think it's working D:
I can afford the dues of a themed camp I can I can.
I can't do serious physical labor but I can, and am willing to do whatever else it takes to be part of an awesome camp. I'm good at repetitive tedious things and I have a lot of energy.

So I feel a tad bit screwed. I want to go and I have a lot of friends going, all in full camps.
I don't have the time or the money to obtain all of the gear I need to go solo.

Can anyone help me? Pretty pretty please. Pleeeeaaaaase I promise I'm adorable and made of bubbles and part unicorn.
Ohohoh. I'm a girl. I play with unresponsive yoyo's as a main passtime/hobby. I'm 23 on august 10th.
I have a cat. I'm originally from Eugene OR. i like bunnies and The Mighty Boosh.
If you want to know anything else before you might maybe consider me then just ask. I'm an open book <3
This shit's divine. It's like the singing of fuckin' angels.
mycarisyoshi

Burning Since: 2017

Re: Singular birgin needs a welcoming camp!

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:49 pm

Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby mycarisyoshi » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:35 pm

I has ticket.
Now I just need a camp~
mycarisyoshi

Postby Rice » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:59 pm

mycarisyoshi wrote:I has ticket.
Now I just need a camp~

You live in the Bay area and are having trouble figuring out a camp?? um, I fly down from Canada with 2 hockey bags of gear and somehow manage to pull a camp together. Sure, very basic camp - but it is doable...

Perhaps eplaya may provide... {shudder}

I hope that you are using the fact you are a girl as a simple gender reference and not as an excuse...

maybe try using google to search eplaya for a camp? Try googling " eplaya camp wants people" or "eplaya camp has space" or some such search of that nature.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:29 pm

stretch80 wrote:{shudder}

Indeed. There's a whole thread on that, I gave her the link...

When will Simon ask to see her tits?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby mycarisyoshi » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:49 pm

I read the link and I appreciate it. Telling me that people will only help me when I help myself not so much. I'm trying to. It's far better to ask for help than to sit here in a continuous panic having no idea where the hell to start.
Clearly I'm new to this. Clearly I'm not really getting any help down here on my end.
I was previously under the impression that people weren't douchebags here.
Apparently I've entered 4chan again and instead of being told I'm doing it wrong in a mature way I'm just a n00b and someone had to mention tits.
It's not really helping anyone to do this in such a way that implies I have any way of knowing how ALL of this works.
I'm almost genuinely sorry that me not being able to figure this out has irritated you in some way. Annoyed you perhaps?
Then assume I'm not asking for your help and move on. It's simple, really.

Of course my gender is reference and not an excuse. Sup sexism.
I thought maybe I had the right idea of what this forum was for and it would be helpful to describe myself if it was in fact what I intended to get out of it. (Help finding a camp. Possible campmate. Anyone telling me which specific camps they know have openings so I don't pester camps that don't)
mycarisyoshi

Postby Elorrum » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:20 pm

Get educated about what is needed. Aez alternative energy zone has a good website with info I learned a lot from my first year. The Civilized Explorer is also a goldmine of info. Read the burning man website tips and guides, first timer's guide., and this year's survival guide. If you don't at least know what you need, and where you are going with regards to the environment and its challenges, you could endanger yourself.
There are basic checklists, not a lot more complex than camping. A solo person CAN do this.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby Chiefersutherland » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:34 pm

Hi My name is Kevin, im a Birgin too. I Live in the east bay, i was able to buy a ticket today at noon too, Oh snap! im so excited, a lot of emotions, today is my first day of planning, I know one person going, and hope to see them there, but besides that, im on my own, anyways, I go to SF all the time to dance :) in fact, I'm going to The Endup tonight :) I'm 29, a "good guy" very cool, normal, laid back, find humor everywhere, low maintenance, logical, I like camping, dancing, making music, meeting genuine good people. Soooo anyways, email me at chiefersutherland@gmail.com
Maybe we can help each other out in some way, who knows?
Maybe you should come to the Endup to celebrate us getting one of the last 1000 tickets! Woohoo we are so there!
Chiefersutherland

Burning Since: 2012

Postby percussivepaul » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:37 pm

I see this again and again on the eplaya, but it kind of clicked when someone said (more or less) 'underprepared questions are often hit with snark. if the poster comes back and shows determination, legit advice tends to follow'.

Truth be told the underprepared camper who expects people to take care of them because they're pretty is a bit of a stereotype at Burning Man, (e.g.), and while I would not ever accuse someone of being like that without having met them, starting off with "I promise I'm adorable" is probably ringing some bells for people here. Just so you know where that's coming from.

New/untested/un-vouched-for campers are a liability to camps, so your best bet is to keep working your personal networks. Even now there is flux going on and people dropping out, so you may find a spot in a camp that thought they were full. There are probably camps who would take a stranger because they need the camp dues, but I think every camp would like to see some self-reliance -- that you ARE prepared to go it alone if necessary, that you DO have the time and money to get yourself to the playa, because even in a large camp with lots of infrastructure you are going to have to be responsible for your own welfare first and foremost, and you will need to have your shit together enough to contribute to the camp in some way. There's a mindspace that people like to see. The zen-like calm and the total determination. I know what I'm getting into. I WILL make this happen, I am CAPABLE of making this happen, let me join you and you will not have to take care of me, I will be a partner rather than a liability, I will help make your camp great. And to be honest, the things you need to survive on your own (tent, food, water, clothing) are the things you will have to bring with or without a camp. If you are going to Burning Man you can do it alone, or else you can't do it at all. It doesn't mean it's the best way to do it for you. But the idea that a camp is going to be what makes this possible for you is going to hold you back, and you should try to set yourself free from this kind of thinking.

By the way, one practical idea is to try some of the very large camps which depend on fairly substantial camp dues to fund their projects (problematic though this may be from some people's perspective). Opulent Temple's website says they are still accepting applications at the $300 dues level. Other big ones might do similar things as well - I don't know of any offhand though.
percussivepaul

Postby CornMan » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:15 am

You can try Orphan IV Camp.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:33 am

Just how much do you expect others to do for you? Is it so bloody difficult to give us an idea of what you're looking for? You trying being helpful.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby shroom » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:18 pm

I drove across country fro 2 days from Georgia and simply camped, no theme camp is needed.
When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; Isaiah 43:2
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:42 pm

shroom wrote:I drove across country fro 2 days from Georgia and simply camped, no theme camp is needed.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby mycarisyoshi » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:58 am

I did actually get a message on here inviting me to a camp!
But I found one to join through a friend on Facebook yesterday so my panic is over!

I get that no one likes new kids on the forum. What people have been reading for months or years only to have someone come in and ask questions you feel the answers to are obvious can be irritating.
I used to do it too.

Just know that your approach matters. You can either let someone down nicely and they'll take you seriously or be a raging jackass and not only are you dealing with a nub but a nub that now hates you and won't listen to a damn thing you say no matter how right you are.
mycarisyoshi

Postby wh..sh » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:14 am

mycarisyoshi wrote:You can either let someone down nicely and they'll take you seriously or be a raging jackass and not only are you dealing with a nub but a nub that now hates you and won't listen to a damn thing you say no matter how right you are.

Ouch, don't say that!
*heart breaks into million pieces*
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Rice » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:27 am

mycarisyoshi wrote:I did actually get a message on here inviting me to a camp!
But I found one to join through a friend on Facebook yesterday so my panic is over!

I get that no one likes new kids on the forum. What people have been reading for months or years only to have someone come in and ask questions you feel the answers to are obvious can be irritating.
I used to do it too.

Just know that your approach matters. You can either let someone down nicely and they'll take you seriously or be a raging jackass and not only are you dealing with a nub but a nub that now hates you and won't listen to a damn thing you say no matter how right you are.

Glad to hear you found a camp!!

Up until the ticket sellout in 2011, snark used to be restricted to the 2nd page of posts on a particular thread. Which is fine, the person gets their answer and the assorted jerks get their outlet as well. When the tickets sold out for the first time, the amount of silly, redundant questions increased by over 40 times. From about 20 identical questions a week to 10 a day. The patience of the regular contributors started to disappear.. The snark seems to have started appearing earlier and earlier on some threads.

I am at the point where I try and offer something useful when help is being asked (I might include a quasi-snarky comment at the same time). The point is to at least direct them to the other threads that have the answers if they exist. or to show them how to find the answers they need. Most of the answers can be found using google. Frequently I google the question and then post my google question to the thread. Attempting to encourage them to be more self-reliant. When it is obvious that the person cannot be bothered, I either turn on the snark or ignore the thread. (I also am learning to not respond when I am tired and grumpy, since I seem to be way to snarky at that time). How many times can one person answer the same question before losing their patience??

Some "people" on eplaya are just negative, jerks, who seem to take some perverted pleasure in being assholes... For that, I apologize on behalf of eplaya!

Anyhoo,

I have been talking to some of the DPW and Gate staff on the playa right now and they say it is really dusty right now!! So, when the hoards of burners start to show up it will be even dustier.

Un-requested advice: When you pack your stuff into your vehicle, make sure you can get at your dust mask and goggles in less than 30 seconds... It will be super dusty at the gate and only get worse when you get into the city. (It is less stressful to have that basic survival gear at your finger-tips the second you are on the playa anyhow.)

Have fun, keep safe, explore, learn, grow, enjoy!
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Elorrum » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:31 am

mycarisyoshi wrote:not only are you dealing with a nub but a nub that now hates you and won't listen to a damn thing you say no matter how right you are.

So I guess you won't be coming to the meet and greet? Fuckin' C YA NUB!
Elorrum

Postby wh..sh » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:33 am

Elorrum wrote:
mycarisyoshi wrote:not only are you dealing with a nub but a nub that now hates you and won't listen to a damn thing you say no matter how right you are.

So I guess you won't be coming to the meet and greet? Fuckin' C YA NUB!

*tips hat for Elorrum*

stretch80 wrote:Some "people" on eplaya are just negative, jerks, who seem to take some perverted pleasure in being assholes... For that, I apologize on behalf of eplaya!

It takes all kind to make eplaya and I certainly won't apologize for it.
In some instance, I even thank dog for them!

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:38 am

nub   /nʌb/ Show Spelled[nuhb] Show IPA
noun
1. the point, gist, or heart of something.
2. a knob or protuberance.
3. a lump or small piece: a nub of coal; a nub of pencil.
4. a small mass of fibers produced on a card, dyed brilliant colors, and introduced into yarn during the spinning process.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby wh..sh » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:49 am

mycarisyoshi wrote:I get that no one likes new kids on the forum. What people have been reading for months or years only to have someone come in and ask questions you feel the answers to are obvious can be irritating.
I used to do it too.

This is not true. People here are more than welcoming to "new kids", provided new kids seem to know their deal.
You provided really vague information about yourself to help your case -

"I'm good at repetitive tedious things" - Like what?
"I have a lot of energy" - That describes pretty much everyone at burning man.
"I can't do serious labor" - Almost everything on playa is physical labor. So, what alternatives do you offer?
"made of bubbles and part unicorn" - I am not even sure what this means.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:56 am

wh..sh wrote:
mycarisyoshi wrote:I get that no one likes new kids on the forum. What people have been reading for months or years only to have someone come in and ask questions you feel the answers to are obvious can be irritating.
I used to do it too.

This is not true. People here are more than welcoming to "new kids", provided new kids seem to know their deal.

"I can't do serious labor" - Almost everything on playa is physical labor. So, what alternatives do you offer?

Not sure of the first three, but the fourth probably, when translated from Sparklepony, means "I'm sunny and happy and you will be so enchanted with my wonderfulness, that you won't even notice that I need a lot of care and attention from you in order to function."
Check with Simon on that, he's the board's leading expert on Sparkle.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Elorrum » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:59 am

"...and that, children, is how "The Nub" entered into eplaya lore."

oh wait, wait. hang on. I need to edit.
I just noticed that she said, pretty pretty please....
well, that changes the whole thing, now, doesn't it?
I'm so so soooooooooowy.
Elorrum

Postby graidawg » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:04 am

PART UNICORN? you either or are or are not unicorn there is no part.
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby illy dilly » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:20 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
wh..sh wrote:
I used to do it too.

Not sure of the first three, but the fourth probably, when translated from Sparklepony, means "I'm sunny and happy and you will be so enchanted with my wonderfulness, that you won't even notice that I need a lot of care and attention from you in order to function."
Check with Simon on that, he's the board's leading expert on Sparkle.

I thought the fourth part translated into "I talk too much and don't know when to be quite. I'm part unicorn, so there is no way that I can do anything wrong. And when you are tired, hungry, and trying to take a nap, I will chat your ear off to make try and *make you feel happy*"

The part that really scared me was:
I was going to camp with her and without her the camp she stays with can't accommodate me by myself. Via her I also had access to a ticket which I now can't buy.

My first 3 thoughts were: 1. "So, up until now, you have been 95% reliant on someone else?"
2. "Just because they can't go, they can't sell you their ticket?... Are they real?"
3."Are you SOOOO Bubbly that the rest of camp doesn't actually want you there? Why do they need to Accommodate you?"
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby mycarisyoshi » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:31 pm

Actually I meant nub this way:

N.U.B. or NUB is an acronym for a long used expression in the U.S. Navy that means Non-Useful Body. Usually a term given to those recently out of school and have yet to learn the ways of being a true sailor.

Submariners in the U.S. Navy usually use this term towards those who have not qualified for submarines, an arduous task which ends in the sailor being presented his "Dolphins" and being accepted as no longer being a NUB.

"But that's the Navy, this is a forum." Use your imagination. Replace Navy with BurningMan and you get the general idea of what I meant in terms of myself and this specific situation.
But I'm sure you all have a witty retort for that too.
I'm not entirely sure what the point is of being a jerk to someone you've never met, online, behind the safety and anonymity of your computer screen. But I'm not buying into it.
I'm not going to fight back or insult any of you in a way that's beyond a generalized statement. Why bother?

Thank you to the few of you that were actually nice and helpful.
To the rest, this is a waste of both your time and mine now that my problem has been sorted out so I'm not checking this again. I'll still be at the burn, and if any of you act the way you do online in person I really hope I don't have the displeasure of running into you.
I mean this with all sincerity, have an awesome fucking day you guys.
mycarisyoshi

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:44 pm

i think i've waited long enough.

can we see your tits now?
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby skippy3k » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:27 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:i think i've waited long enough.

can we see your tits now?

It's funny how often this question brings conversation (or threads) to a screeching halt!

I will say I am new to ePlaya, but not to forums in general. All of the ones I've been associated with follow the same behavior, regardless of subject matter. You've got the nubs, newbies, whatever who swing by and ask a question. You get the same snarky responses, mixed with a few people who have restraint (which I am not one of, but immensely admire their patience from afar). Yet in all of these forums, it's how the newbie responds to the snark that is most telling. If they take it in stride, poke fun at themselves and promise to never do it again then they stick around and generally become respected at some point. If they lash out and fight the snark....well....things get messy then. It's like pouring fuel on a fire. The rest of us sit back and watch the feeding frenzy that ensues. Equal parts entertaining and sad.
I'm a fixer. I fix things.
skippy3k

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:27 am

trial by fire.

C'mon.....Tony Robbins does it Every Day.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Lonesomebri » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:36 am

Shared laughter among friends, is there any better fellowship? Never a waste of time.
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby Bob » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:20 pm

This fuckfest has been going on for a week and I completely missed it?

[ hands in eplaya meanyhead card ]

I was going to compliment her for not using smilies, then I remembered I have them turned off.

BTW, your "friend" is ditching you. One or two months pregnant, and she's not going? Srsly?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Next

Return to 2012 Theme Camps