Salutations from Dallas!

Salutations from Dallas!

Postby Playa'd Up » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:18 am

Howdy folks!

My name is Matt and I'm based out of Dallas. This wil be my second burn! I went last year with some friends and had to get back, unfortunately they are not able to make the trip. We ended up roughing it in a tent and took the minimalist approach to cooking/camping/shade/etc, I wouldn't have changed a thing!

I was lucky enough to get my name in the hat this last week so I get to make the whirlwind dash to prep! I'm trying to sort out a ride/campmates/themecamp to understand better what I could contribute. I've checked out the rideshare and some other places to little avail, any suggestions?!

About me: 26, easy going and clean of drugs/drama/bad karma (I bet you haven't heard that before), open minded to viewpoints, ways of thinking, orientation, etc. (I think I can sound a little new cliche then this), homesick (there we go!)...Engineer by trade, adventurer by choice, and always looking for something novel to sink my teeth into.

What I bring to the table: I love to cook and I do it well, an extra pair of hands, an ear to listen, a companion to adventure with.. All and all a little bit of everything, which is exactly what I'm looking for. I plan to make each day it's own and hope to find people willing to do the same!
Playa'd Up

Burning Since: 2011

Re: Salutations from Dallas!

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:11 am

Playa'd Up wrote:...clean of drugs/drama/bad karma (I bet you haven't heard that before...

YEah, we've heard it before. I just never believe one is honestly capable of judgine oneself. Especially when it comes to spiritual claims, such as "karma". Might want to keep that in mind next time you're tempted to say something like that.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby jkisha » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:29 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Savannah » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:59 pm

Hi Matt! :D

There are some 2012 Theme Camps here:
viewforum.php?f=283

And some here:
http://www.burningman.com/themecamps/th ... ml?yy=2012

Write a note to some of them, leading with 1) your skills and 2) why you specifically like a camp, and you may be able to find a theme camp that fits. Otherwise: you already know you'll be fine if you can over-engineer and stake down a tent and shade.

Welcome to the board, & congratulations on your recent good fortune. :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Lonesomebri » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:51 pm

Hey Matt, no real leads here but have you figured out if your flying into Reno, or SF, or ? What kind of supplies you'd bring, and what you'd need to shop for? Sure, until you figure out your camp situation you won't know for sure all that, but the more info you can lay out the quicker you'll get hooked up. And post all that on the rideshare page.
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby Playa'd Up » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:23 am

I've sent some messages (particularly to the regional groups) and checked the rideshare. My plan was to drive there and back in one or two legs. Last year I had a footlocker, shade, tent, bike, and water. The bare essentials really. This year I figured I would do the same since I know it worked.
Playa'd Up

Burning Since: 2011

Return to Introduce Yourself!