Drum circles around the man

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Drum circles around the man

Postby Tomaso » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:35 pm

In years past there have been great drum circles around the man and Temple after it's burned, recently there have been times where sound vehicles are blasting away that would drowned the sound of the drums completely. I love the music at the burn, but sure would love to find some tribal drumming going on. How could this come about?
Suggestions?- Solutions?

Tomaso
Tomaso
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:35 am
Location: SoFla

Re: Feature suggestions

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:50 pm

Start a tribal drumming camp...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37405
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Drum circles around the man

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:44 pm

Tomaso wrote:In years past there have been great drum circles around the man and Temple after it's burned, recently there have been times where sound vehicles are blasting away that would drowned the sound of the drums completely. I love the music at the burn, but sure would love to find some tribal drumming going on. How could this come about?
Suggestions?- Solutions?

Tomaso


Absolutely. Go for it.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16312
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Re: Drum circles around the man

Postby RedHeaven » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:56 pm

To find some unique nooks, try to not be attracted to the bright and big and shiny. There is a whole city ring out there and a lot of us (myself included) get distracted by the big art and playa and Man and Temple and (insert coolest project of the year).

The city has so much to offer in camp land, especially outer rings, in terms of getting away from the heart throbs of the heart of the city.

I betcha there are some really good uninterrupted drum circles down at the foot...or possibly the earlobe :)
User avatar
RedHeaven
 
Posts: 633
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:00 am
Location: Nevada City California
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Re: Drum circles around the man

Postby Foxfur » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:03 pm

This year, due to past problems, drum circles are only being allowed around the sound camps and in deep playa. This may be an inconvenience for some but will ultimately solve many longstanding problems with the sound which can carry incredibly long distances.
Last year, two burners who refused to moderate their playing (they'd been playing for 28 hours nearly continuously) ended up being escorted to the gate after ignoring multiple requests from the rangers to give their neighbors a rest.
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Image
User avatar
Foxfur
 
Posts: 2332
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 6:43 am
Location: Banks, Oregon
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: 404 Village Not Found

Re: Drum circles around the man

Postby RedHeaven » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:08 pm

Oh shit!!!!

Guess I havent been around a drum circle in a long time.
User avatar
RedHeaven
 
Posts: 633
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:00 am
Location: Nevada City California
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Re: Drum circles around the man

Postby TomServo » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:12 pm

How do I get involved with one of these "Sound Vehicles"?
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6017
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Marshalltown, Iowa
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Re: Drum circles around the man

Postby BBadger » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:17 pm

Are you sure that wasn't those Occubate Wall Streeters and their we-should-be-paid drum circlers that would endlessly annoy their neighbors with their incessant drumming?

Oh yeah, what ever happened to that movement? I thought that when the weather turned nice again that those fair-weather squatters would return to hang around.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
User avatar
BBadger
 
Posts: 3962
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:37 am
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: Drum circles around the man

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:19 pm

if you had bothered to check the new rules you would have clearly seen the section that stated the entire city all the way to the perimeter is a No Drum Circle Circle.


please take that hippy shit to symbiosis or something.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 13851
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: Drum circles around the man

Postby RedHeaven » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:59 pm

I think Sacred Spaces had drum circles last year every day, they were on the Esplanade.
I think they served Unicorn Pee, too.... ;)
User avatar
RedHeaven
 
Posts: 633
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:00 am
Location: Nevada City California
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Re: Drum circles around the man

Postby CrispyDave » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:46 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:if you had bothered to check the new rules you would have clearly seen the section that stated the entire city all the way to the perimeter is a No Drum Circle Circle.


please take that hippy shit to symbiosis or something.



Whew... I am glad it states a no drum circle circle and not a no drum circle Pentagon..... By the way what camp are you staying at?
Plan for the worst, expect the best.
Make the most out of it under any conditions.
If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself.
User avatar
CrispyDave
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:05 pm
Location: Santa Clara
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Temple Guardians

Re: Drum circles around the man

Postby Bob » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:04 pm

Saw a hi-hat circle last year, but surely you can't beat a gong circle.

Image
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: Drum circles around the man

Postby CornMan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:18 pm

Foxfur wrote:This year, due to past problems, drum circles are only being allowed around the sound camps and in deep playa. This may be an inconvenience for some but will ultimately solve many longstanding problems with the sound which can carry incredibly long distances.
Last year, two burners who refused to moderate their playing (they'd been playing for 28 hours nearly continuously) ended up being escorted to the gate after ignoring multiple requests from the rangers to give their neighbors a rest.


Is this for real? I thought that as long as sound is under 300 watts and is under 90 dbs at 20 feet, anything goes. They have an official sound time limit?

http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/sound_systems/policy.html
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
User avatar
CornMan
 
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Drum circles around the man

Postby oscillator » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:54 am

Not all drums are circular...

User avatar
oscillator
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:30 pm
Location: heading north on forever street

Re: Drum circles around the man

Postby portaplaya » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:46 pm

Zeke Chaparral wrote:
Foxfur wrote:This year, due to past problems, drum circles are only being allowed around the sound camps and in deep playa. This may be an inconvenience for some but will ultimately solve many longstanding problems with the sound which can carry incredibly long distances.
Last year, two burners who refused to moderate their playing (they'd been playing for 28 hours nearly continuously) ended up being escorted to the gate after ignoring multiple requests from the rangers to give their neighbors a rest.


Is this for real? I thought that as long as sound is under 300 watts and is under 90 dbs at 20 feet, anything goes. They have an official sound time limit?

http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/sound_systems/policy.html


Not all situations are covered by sound policies. That's why the citizens of Black Rock City are empowered with the Ten Principles. Neighbors should be holding the principle of Radical Inclusion, right up until people are obviously infringing on principles like Community and Civic Responsibility.

Often Rangers are brought into the mix to assist in negotiations between neighboring camps and once an agreement is reached, failure to hold to that agreement is a violation of Civic Responsibility. At that point the Rangers are empowered to use the few sanctions they have against participants, including eviction for grievous behavior after making an agreement. Certainly a 28-hour drum circle would have gone through some requests for downtime and a negotiated period for things like allowing the neighbors to sleep. Failure to hold to that agreement (especially if you agree to stop, but then start up again after the Rangers leave) obviously has consequences.

Amplified sound is such a frequent source of this sort of strife that measurable rules were instituted to essentially "pre-negotiate" before you even met your neighbors. Drum circles and other sources of noise are harder to give fixed metrics for, but must still abide by the social compact of the Ten Principles.


Take the community bikes for example. Hiding them in your theme camp is a failure to meet the Ten Principles. Putting a bike lock on one can potentially skip the whole "rangering" moment and jump straight to a theft complaint issued to the Sheriffs. (Did you know that community bikes actually all have the same "on-paper" owner? This allows theft complaints to be issued, where needed.) There is a long list of things that have no official policies that still run similar to the Sound Policy or rules for Community Bikes which might involve community enforcement or ranger action.
Last edited by portaplaya on Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
portaplaya
 
Posts: 363
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:49 pm
Location: Seattle area

Re: Drum circles around the man

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:47 pm

Okay, just keep the drumming down so we can hear the Dub-Step™.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16312
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Re: Drum circles around the man

Postby drmogamboo » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:19 am

[b]On Thursday we need Tribal Drummers and Dancers for a Shapeshifting Fertility Ceremony at Kostume Kult 2:45 and Esplanade. We start the Ceremony at 9 PM. Be there or be Square.
Robert N Forsyth
drmogamboo
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:15 pm
Location: California


Return to 2012 Art & Performance

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests