Postby EmilyD » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:45 pm

My backpack is on the small side so I carry only the most essential:

- Water
- goggles
- dust mask
- bandanna (to reinforce dust mask)
- flashlight
- keys (on retracting ring)
- Travel John (for deep playa pee emergencies)
- compass
- sunglasses
- sunscreen
- lip balm
- wet wipes
- snacks (nuts, energy bar, crackers, etc.)

In the bike baskets I also have:

- extra water bottle
- headlight & taillight
- Xmas lights
- spare tire
- bike tools
- bike lock
- small ice chest (optional)
EmilyD

Re: What's in your backpack?

Postby Sham » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:18 pm

Extra dust masks, extra bandanas, extra water!
Sham

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:33 pm

A six pack of blood orange soda, right now. Must remember to get it out of there and bring with me...

Does anyone else use the event as an excuse for all sorts of culinary indulgences?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby gyre » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:41 pm

Yes.
Still can't look at anything I decide to bring.
End up giving it away or eating it after the burn.
gyre

Postby lucky420 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:22 pm

theCryptofishist
Does anyone else use the event as an excuse for all sorts of culinary indulgences?

No not culinary indulgences, but my fake fur fetish. Where else in the hell am I gonna wear it?
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby EmilyD » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:01 am

EmilyD wrote:My backpack is on the small side so I carry only the most essential:

- Water
- goggles
- dust mask
- bandanna (to reinforce dust mask)
- flashlight
- keys (on retracting ring)
- Travel John (for deep playa pee emergencies)
- compass
- sunglasses
- sunscreen
- lip balm
- wet wipes
- snacks (nuts, energy bar, crackers, etc.)

In the bike baskets I also have:

- extra water bottle
- headlight & taillight
- Xmas lights
- spare tire
- bike tools
- bike lock
- small ice chest (optional)

Whoops...forgot camera!!!
also, small notebook & pen and pre-printed labels with our camp address.
EmilyD

Postby Earthwalker » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:00 pm

Noob question here (obviously)...

Where exactly do you leave your backback when you go somewhere that involves active participation? Say, to dance at night. I have compiled a list of quite useful items but this will be a very serious backback and it doesn't seem like it would be particularly convenient to wear it if I'm dancing or doing whatever else I may happen to get myself into.

Here's my backpack list:

Lighters
Cigs
Altoid tin
Sunscreen (can remove at night)
3L H2O (in camelbak)
Extra batteries
Extra headlamp or flashlight
Bandana
Goggles
Hat
Compass
Multi Tool
Nalgene bottle
Carabiners
Duct tape
First aid kit
Photocopy of drivers license
Camera (maybe)
Chapstick
Gloves
Booz
Wet wipes
Walkie Talkies
TP
Hand Sanitizer
Notebook
Pen
Extra bike tire tube
Patch kit
Small towel
Ear plugs
Collapsible bowl
Spork
Sharpie
Snacks
MOOP bag
Zip ties
Zip lock bags
Tampons

Am I insane for carrying that all around everywhere? Carrying it though could lead to some serious hero moments though. OMFG, I got my period, what do I do???? Oh, hey, here's a tampon gift. Right??? :)
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul
Earthwalker

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Trifucta

Postby Savannah » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:43 pm

Hey Earthwalker. Great question. I too am unwilling to dance in a backpack. :D

I have a day bag and a night bag, packed before I hit the playa. (A list of stuff I want to have in both is sharpied on the inside where it won't bleed through. I restock daily.)

The night bag is much smaller, and pared down to my essentials. I don't like to take my camera out with me at night, so out it goes. I'll risk eliminating dishes (bowls or plates) but I'll keep cutlery, a canteen, a collapsible cup, a cocktail, some snacks, minimal first aid, goggles, eye drops. I often don't ride a bike at night, so I don't carry bike stuff at night. No hat at night, just a shemagh for dust. And I'm willing to wager that I won't be out late enough to require sunscreen the next morning . . . although someone with very fair skin and a penchant for being up until 8:00am might make another decision. And I'm probably going to check the status of my batteries before I head out, rather than carry extras. Again, that's just me. I might have small spares of things on my person. If a need is greater than what I have, they can come with me back to camp, or I can help them find something better.

So that's the kind of thought one can can put into it . . . customized for your own preferences.

As for the fate of your bag: take it off and either lean it against something but still visible, or gamble and hide it under something. Be emotionally ready for it to disappear, even though bag theft isn't rampant. Tools, bottles of booze, and bikes disappear most. Your bike absolutely WILL go walking off without you if you leave it unlocked. Light it distinctively to pick it out in a crowd, and lock it at all times, even to just itself so it can't be ridden immediately.

You might also find that your neighborhood has a good bar or a good dance floor only a few blocks away, and do that sometimes with very little equipment on you. I love dancing "locally" (and in the afternoon sunshine). It's a warmer experience, figuratively speaking.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Earthwalker » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:55 pm

EXTREMELY helpful response...thank you!!!!! A very simple, yet very effective, idea to have two packs. Night needs will vary from day needs. I like it. And I'm in the process of ordering a shemagh.

I'm very curiuos to see/feel the size of BRC. Despite the volume of material I've read, I still can't imagine that it's all that big. I assume I could walk from one side of the circle (diameter) in 20 minutes, and around the perimiter in 45. But from what I read...that's just not true.

I cannot express in words how excited I am to go. It seems to have so much that I love: fire and what it represents and how pure it is, ability to do whatever you want to do whenever you want to do it as long as it doesn't hurt yourself or others, embracing all regardless of gender/weight/color/religion, etc. I am always so constrained by society and feel truly unable to be who I am.

Anyway, I'm rambling. A happy rambling man :)
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul
Earthwalker

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Trifucta

Postby eLPea » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:04 pm

Earthwalker wrote:Despite the volume of material I've read, I still can't imagine that it's all that big. I assume I could walk from one side of the circle (diameter) in 20 minutes, and around the perimiter in 45. But from what I read...that's just not true.

You know, even if the physical size of the event perimiter was such that one could walk from end-to-end in 20, or around in 45, the sheer volume of SHINY STUFF I WANT TO LOOK AT, THINGS I WANT TO CLIMB, LOOK THEY'RE GIVING OUT SNOW CONES, etc. would be enough to slow your journey considerably.

Get ready to spend all day away from camp, even if you just meant to hit the porta-pottie. The playa has a certain skill at keeping you away from your camp for extended periods, and it's always great to be prepared for that!
eLPea

Burning Since: 2009

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:23 pm

Earthwalker wrote:EXTREMELY helpful response...thank you!!!!! A very simple, yet very effective, idea to have two packs. Night needs will vary from day needs. I like it. And I'm in the process of ordering a shemagh.

I'm very curiuos to see/feel the size of BRC. Despite the volume of material I've read, I still can't imagine that it's all that big. I assume I could walk from one side of the circle (diameter) in 20 minutes, and around the perimiter in 45. But from what I read...that's just not true.

I cannot express in words how excited I am to go. It seems to have so much that I love: fire and what it represents and how pure it is, ability to do whatever you want to do whenever you want to do it as long as it doesn't hurt yourself or others, embracing all regardless of gender/weight/color/religion, etc. I am always so constrained by society and feel truly unable to be who I am.

This is 2010!!!

Zoom in and have a look around. 8)

http://www.gigapan.com/gigapans/66285/
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Savannah » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:27 pm

Earthwalker wrote:EXTREMELY helpful response...thank you!!!!! A very simple, yet very effective, idea to have two packs. Night needs will vary from day needs. I like it. And I'm in the process of ordering a shemagh.

Yep. I believe the perimeter is 9.2 miles. :)

An average trip from my camp (middle streets) across the clock to another middle street camp would be at least 30 minutes, on foot. From outermost street to outermost street would be more. This is why bicycles are so handy.

It's a pretty large place, and I'm happy about it (because I hate to feel crowded). The great open expanse of the Esplanade in the middle and the open desert at the "top" and the outsides helps with that, too.

Well, I'm super stoked for you. :D If you have a backpack (or two) you will be more prepared than I was during my first Burn. (I used my pockets!)

Try not to have too many expectations other than an adventure. That way, you cannot be disappointed.

I hope you'll return and post about your first Burn here on ePlaya when you get back.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby lucky420 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:47 pm

read my sig line :wink:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Sham » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:57 pm

7 square miles. It's huge! :shock:
Sham

Postby graidawg » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:03 pm

currently my backpack is full of stuff that wont fit into my checked luggage
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby CrispyDave » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:43 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:A six pack of blood orange soda, right now. Must remember to get it out of there and bring with me...

A six pack of blood orange soda

Is that the stuff from Trader Joes? My brother in law brought some over Thanksgiving and it was awesome....
Plan for the worst, expect the best.
Make the most out of it under any conditions.
If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself.
CrispyDave

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Temple Guardians

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:34 pm

No, it's the stuff from Italy, with the fancy covers.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby gyre » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:36 am

Pellegrino?

I've only found the juice once in a store.

Wonderful
gyre

Postby seantildawn » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:03 pm

Sandbags. Empty ones. Canvas.

Great gift. Can be used as burn bag for burnable trash. Can be used for wet food bag to dry it all out. Can be used as a sand bag to hold shit down.

I give out 5 a day. From my panniers. What is a backpack? 8)
seantildawn

Burning Since: 1998

Postby skippy3k » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:38 am

theCryptofishist wrote:No, it's the stuff from Italy, with the fancy covers.

Ah, I know what you are talking about. With the foil cover over the top of the can? (Which I remove before leaving, one less thing to throw away out there.) That stuff is wonderful. Refreshing straight or mixed with whatever liquor you've got laying around on the table. It always comes with us. San Pellegrino I believe it is.
I'm a fixer. I fix things.
skippy3k

Burning Since: 2009

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:46 am

3 points, Skippy!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks