Service Dog on the Playa?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Postby DoriumLux » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:12 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
DoriumLux wrote:I understand that, but i didn't mean something would happen to the dog.

I meant what happens if she has something happen while locked inside the port-o-lette. (IE: 8-10 seizures per month)

how is the dog going to know, or be able to do anything while the owner is locked inside. The dog might be able to alert someone near by of the danger inside, but still, 3 hours from medical services, and who knows how long the owner will be cooking inside.

I understand the dogs are well trained, I know a dog is perfectly capable of "sitting" but a week of dehydration, explosions, overheating, and 50,000 unpredictable people running around....I dunno, Superman had a well trained animal as well, and so did Sigfried, and we know how those stories go. I hardly am able to tell how a person is going to act let alone an animal who can't speak out on the playa. People should consider worse case scenarios. At the very least she should bring a human companion who is trained to help her and can communicate for her in english.

but what do I know, there may be a dog whisperer near by that can talk to he lil' guy if she needs help.

theCryptofishist wrote:
DoriumLux wrote:Also, How will you use a porta potty with a service dog? What if something happens to you while in the bathroom? Who will hold the dog while you are inside?
You have got to be kidding. A Service Dog is well-trained enough to wait outside the blue room while bladder and bowels are releived. They don't take some random Jack Russel and give a couple of weeks training and say "you're a service dog now!" It may not be wise to take the dog, but let's not take it for solid reasons, not goofy ones.

Didn't I read that the dog can sense an attack up to two hours before it happens? I know I get a little blocked up on the playa, but two hours in the blue rooms. Not if robbidobbs herself wiped the seat, and when I was done, my ass.

"Up to" Isn't that just a best case scenario? I don't count on best case scenarios and I don't think people should either. Especially, in an harsh environment. I think if she is going to do this, she should at the very least also bring a human companion. She even admitted she has memory problems and anxiety.
DoriumLux

Postby Fire_Moose » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:14 am

Yer dog, no matter how smart, will not get you back to yer tent.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby crstophr » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:31 pm

I keep thinking of the dog's feet. Can it handle wearing doggie hiking booties? My feet last merely hours in playa dust before the gritty alkaline dust starts to sting my toes. I'd really worry about the dog's pads being painfully damaged in a day.

Some thoughts if you must bring your dog:

Light it up VERY well at night. Wasted people on bikes could really injure it.
Same thing for the dogs leash so nobody tried to go between you in the dark.
Constant supply of water on hand.
Are you coming in an RV? An air conditioned environment seems like a must.

Good luck! And YES I would be willing to dog sit for a few hours.

--Chris
crstophr

Re: Service Dog on the Playa?

Postby gomelgo » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:25 pm

Wow, I had a hard time following this thread with so many people cautioning someone not to bring their dog. Where does this begin to be messing with someone's burn? I think anyone with a service dog will take great care of their animal. I also think that if a person feels better having the dog with them, it is THEIR decision. Sure, I can see both sides of this argument. But ultimately, isn't each of us responsible for our own burn? There are many ways to mitigate every single issue brought up in this thread.

playa dust? - booties, doggie goggles
tents too loud? - use an RV
poop? - what about the human poop and pee? Playa puddles abound at BM

Not everyone who has a service dog, needs to take that dog to every event. Some service dogs are trained to deal with loud noises. All service dogs are well socialized to humans early in life. In fact, there should be a camp for people who cannot enjoy the burn without their service animals. And for those who say it's not "self reliant" I strongly disagree. It's like saying someone in a wheelchair cannot be self reliant, which is actually discrimination. It's sad that people would be so sanctimonious over someone who wants to come to the burn, and feels the need to bring their life line.
gomelgo

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Rice » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:42 pm

gomelgo wrote:Wow, I had a hard time following this thread with so many people cautioning someone not to bring their dog. Where does this begin to be messing with someone's burn? I think anyone with a service dog will take great care of their animal. I also think that if a person feels better having the dog with them, it is THEIR decision. Sure, I can see both sides of this argument. But ultimately, isn't each of us responsible for our own burn? There are many ways to mitigate every single issue brought up in this thread.

Not everyone who has a service dog, needs to take that dog to every event. Some service dogs are trained to deal with loud noises. All service dogs are well socialized to humans early in life. In fact, there should be a camp for people who cannot enjoy the burn without their service animals. And for those who say it's not "self reliant" I strongly disagree. It's like saying someone in a wheelchair cannot be self reliant, which is actually discrimination. It's sad that people would be so sanctimonious over someone who wants to come to the burn, and feels the need to bring their life line.

This thread was from 2009.

Since dogs are not allowed at Burning Man without written authorization from Burning Man LLC, this discussion is kind of mute anyhow. If someone is trying to bring a service dog and has not made the effort to get pre-authorized, they probably will be turned away at the gate. (I suspect they would need to prove that their animal can handle the environment and that they have a plan.)

If we really thought about it, no one should go. It is a harsh brutal environment that is actively trying to kill us all ;)

Items Not Allowed Through the Gate
(You may be denied entry and told to store these items off-site.)
Feathers, e.g. boas, headdresses, etc.
Plants, living or dead, and anything that will break up and/or blow away in the wind
Explosives, aerial flares, rockets or fireworks
Firearms of any kind including BB guns, air rifles, or paint ball guns
Mutant Vehicles that were not pre-registered with the Department of Mutant Vehicles
ATVs and scooters
Motorcycles that are not a participant’s transportation to BRC
Dogs
quoted directly from the Survival Guide http://survival.burningman.com/transportation-traffic/items-not-allowed-through-gate/
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:09 pm

MOOT, not mute.

Otherwise yeah, what stretch said.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby Rice » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:43 pm

BoyScoutGirl wrote:MOOT, not mute.

Otherwise yeah, what stretch said.

Oops!! I should have noticed that.

Hmm, "Mute point" vs "Moot point"? anyone??
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby Homiesinheaven » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:28 pm

Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:42 pm

I don't see anyone taking a service dog to the playa for training (please don't).
So the only person who brings a service dog to the playa should be someone who is challenged enough to need a service dog.
Now can someone like that take care of their service dog adequately? Just wondering.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:46 pm

You know, Dougly, disabilities are very individual. And none of us is going to be able to predict what any one person can or cannot do, and with what sort of assisstance, without a whole lot more information...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Lonesomebri » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:50 pm

Who ever is planning to Serve Dog still needs to get a permit from the dept. of health.
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby CornMan » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:47 pm

Law enforcement brings their dog out. They must have a plan. Perhaps if law enforcement first checked with the eplaya crowd to see if bringing their dog was prudent or not, they'd have a clearer picture of the situation and leave the pooch at home.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby Drawingablank » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:50 pm

The real issue is not whether service dogs should be allowed (they should), but rather is it wise to bring them - and the reality is it depends on the situation. Essentially, It boils down to concern about the health of that valued and loved companion.

Playa conditions are at best, very difficult.

Most first timers really have no clue at all how difficult it can be on the playa, and virtually nothing else in North America will prepare you for it. A lack in any aspect of preparedness could easily be harmful or fatal to the dog.

IMO, first timers with service dogs should try to hook up with a veteran at the least to help reduce the risks.

Playa veterans that find themselves needing a service dog pretty much know what to expect so the risk to the dog is somewhat reduced.

On another note - should there be a problem , have you considered the distance to the nearest vet should the dog need medical attention?

In the final analysis, do you feel you can prepare enough to not endanger your beloved dog?
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby trilobyte » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:59 pm

Law enforcement dogs have an off-the-playa location for sleep/rest.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Bob » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:11 pm

gomelgo wrote:Wow, I had a hard time following this thread with so many people cautioning someone not to bring their dog. Where does this begin to be messing with someone's burn? I think anyone with a service dog will take great care of their animal. I also think that if a person feels better having the dog with them, it is THEIR decision. Sure, I can see both sides of this argument. But ultimately, isn't each of us responsible for our own burn? There are many ways to mitigate every single issue brought up in this thread.

Ultimately, it's a private event and they can kick your ass out, the eleventh principle being Radical Mercy.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby CornMan » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:58 pm

I've worked at Cal Expo (California State Fair) doing drywall and painting. During a ADA meeting, the big boss said that the venue will in no way ever contest a claim whether or not a person has a service animal. He instructed us (the ticket takers this case) to never question if an animal is a service animal or not - even if it's a monkey or whatnot, just let the person and the animal in. They've probably been stung by a lawsuit. You don't mess around with such a demographic.
Never mind the weather
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby Bob » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:18 pm

That's a governmental entity. Burning Man is private.

ADA lawsuits would be fucking amusing, tho...

Bob

Postby jkisha » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:22 pm

Bob wrote:

Ultimately, it's a private event and they can kick your ass out, the eleventh principle being Radical Mercy.

I'm no lawyer, but the ADA laws are pretty protective. Kicking a person with a disability that required a service dog out of the event might get BMORG in a whole shitload of trouble.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Bob » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:47 pm

Somebody should give me an art grant to be the queen in charge of kicking people out.

Bob

Postby motskyroonmatick » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:31 pm

Fuck yeah! Bring the dog and dog master on!!!! To me you look like you have your shit together wayyyyyyyy more than the average. Get permission. Close that door and burn like hell. You deserve it.
Start looking for a camp now that would welcome you with open arms. Perhaps Black Rock Mobility? I loan them my golf cart.......They can't be all bad :wink: They can be all bad ass though!!!!!Ive been there all of 20 minutes and I was hella impressed!

Really? I run through so much human piss on my mountain bike that a little dog piddle isn't going to be a problem.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby maladroit » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:51 pm

A person that goes to Burning Man (usually) knows what they are going to experience.

A dog does not know, and can't plan ahead, or decide not to go. It is totally dependent on the owner.

People can complain to others, call for help, describe what they're feeling. They can seek out shelter or water as they wish.

A dog can communicate on a very basic level and is often misunderstood. They are being dragged around by another being, subject to that beings whims and needs alone. They don't have the freedom to decide to drop everything, drink water, and flop down in the shade until they feel better.

Go to Burning Man. Pick a random person to be responsible for your every need...food, water, shelter, dust protection, bodily functions. You are not allowed to speak or mime to them, only frown if something is wrong. How long would you survive?

There are great dog owners out there, who have thought of everything. There are also crappy dog owners who would leave a dog tied to a stake while they go party.
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby CornMan » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:58 pm

Never mind the weather
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:12 am

Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:30 am

This is pretty much Sturm und Drang...
Or wild speculation, if you prefer.

If someone with a service animal wishes to attend the event, I hope they would contact the llc directly, and earlier in the year than August.

Department of Mobility wouldn't necessarily be a good resource--my disability is not the same as anyone else's and I have no expertise on service animals.

BLM is federal land, so state regulations don't really apply.

I have no idea if, as a private event, burningman can ban service dogs, or would it would be more trouble than it's worth. If they permitted one in, accommodations (of what nature, I don't know) might be made.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Lonesomebri » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:44 am

Posted this on craigslist, with the avatar photo-
"Please help Snowball unite with the community at Home out in the god forsaken desert wasteland full of freaks known as Buriing Man.
Snowball has already invested heavily in fake furry cosplay cat ears and fabulous pink glitter, two storage containers of self reliance, 300 cans of beer, and a 5000 pound tank of propane. Pretty much everything needed for the Burning Man week except for buying the actual ticket, and getting a stripper pole for camp. Willing to barter butcher bones, tennis balls and/or a squirrel (should definatly have in just a day or two).
If you have an extra ticket and don't have friends or know anyone who deserves it, think about sniffing Snowball up, dawg. Aarf aarf."

First response- "You know they don't allow dogs at Burning Man...."
"Grow some facial hair it may help with the gender confusion" -tatonka
Your dreams are not mine to share.
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:46 am

*snicker*

(I don't even want to think about some of the automatic responses I've made on this board. Nice to see someone else is active this time of day, though.)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby CornMan » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:36 am

If they try to ban a person's service animal, the person will likely sue and will win. Not much more to it than that.
Never mind the weather
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby Bob » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 am

The dog can stay. YOU have to go.

Bob

Postby jkisha » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:32 am

Bob wrote:That's a governmental entity. Burning Man is private.

ADA lawsuits would be fucking amusing, tho...

Ya, they would be amusing.

But I'm pretty sure that ADA applies to private as well as public. Think about theaters and restaurants for example-- certainly privately owned, yet they have to comply with the ADA. Not to mention that BM is being held on public land, and all public/government spaces need to comply with the act.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Bob » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:07 am

Did somebody say SERVICE dogs?

http://www.joeyskaggs.com/html/cat.html

Bob