Folding Tricycles on the Playa

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Folding Tricycles on the Playa

Postby TestUserD » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:50 am

I'm thinking about bringing a trike to the Burn this year, and due to space constraints, I'm gonna have to go with a folding model. Are folding trikes tough enough to survive out on the playa? And has anyone tried either of these models out there before? I'll probably be buying one of them:
http://www.amazon.com/Westport-42078-Ad ... B000Z89JFO
http://www.amazon.com/Worksman-Port-Tri ... B004IYGIRI

Thanks!
TestUserD

Burning Since: 2011

Re: Folding Tricycles on the Playa

Postby Bob » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:18 pm

Only 56 lbs? Colour me shocked.

Recumbent trikes seem to be popular, might want to compare..
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Canoe » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:31 am

It's not that it's folding or not, it's the size of the tires. Wider is better in soft conditions, which is what we're expecting this year.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby gyre » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:40 am

Worksman has the rep.
Don't know anything about those models though.
gyre

Postby trilobyte » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:23 am

Love my worksman port-o-trike, my girlfriend and I each got them last year and absolutely loved it. I'd recommend the PTC3B model (3 speed with coaster brake), if you're gonna spend the money may as well do it right. 3 speeds proved to be perfect, low gear is ideal for dunes and thick spots, middle's that general purpose mode, and high gear is great for hauling ass crossing the playa.

Check the seller you're considering, call them and make sure they have them in stock. We bought ours direct from Worksman, they've got a 6-8 week lead time.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby gyre » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:43 am

I can't tell from the info.
Can they use hubgears?
gyre

Postby TestUserD » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:40 am

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I'm now leaning towards the Westport model (http://www.amazon.com/Westport-42078-Ad ... B000Z89JFO) due to numerous bad reviews that mention the Worksman shipping with missing parts. As far as I can tell, the Westport doesn't come in a three speed version. Is having just one gear a huge concern? I don't care about going fast (last year I walked, so this will already be a huge improvement), but I don't want to be stuck furiously pedaling because the soft sand this year is too much for the trike to handle.

Similarly, will the narrower tires really screw me over? It seems like all the folding trikes come with smaller, narrower tires and going with a non-folding one isn't an option because I'll have no way to get it to the playa.
TestUserD

Postby TestUserD » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:42 am

gyre wrote:I can't tell from the info.
Can they use hubgears?

If they can, are you suggesting that I modify mine to do so?
TestUserD

Postby gyre » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:15 pm

I would if I wanted gears.
It may not be built to accept them easily though.

5 speeds are easy.
7, 8, 9 aren't too bad.
There's the nuvinci variable too.
The 14 speed is a tad pricey.
gyre

Postby inthecolumbiagorge » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:38 pm

TestUserD wrote:Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I'm now leaning towards the Westport model (http://www.amazon.com/Westport-42078-Ad ... B000Z89JFO) due to numerous bad reviews that mention the Worksman shipping with missing parts. As far as I can tell, the Westport doesn't come in a three speed version. Is having just one gear a huge concern? I don't care about going fast (last year I walked, so this will already be a huge improvement), but I don't want to be stuck furiously pedaling because the soft sand this year is too much for the trike to handle.

Similarly, will the narrower tires really screw me over? It seems like all the folding trikes come with smaller, narrower tires and going with a non-folding one isn't an option because I'll have no way to get it to the playa.

I have the exact same trike, it drives really nice even with the smaller tires and my husbands larger trike with bigger tires is WAY harder to pedal. I have taken it in the orchards around my house and even in the tomato field down the rows in the loose dirt and it gets through it pretty well. Much easier to pedal than any of the other trikes I have tried out. I was talked with a shop about putting fatter tires on it but they talked me out of it which is good:-) Great trike and you won't regret it!
inthecolumbiagorge

Postby playaSilk » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:46 pm

Along similar lines, has anyone tried the Schwinn Meridian? I too am looking for a trike, and for me the $60+ savings vs the Worksman/Westport models will be rather noticeable. Thanks in advance!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AYKISE
playaSilk

Postby gyre » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:51 pm

Does it fold up?

Where is it made?
gyre

Postby Mosin » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:55 am

I love my Worksman Port-o Trike (single speed) and have used it every day at the past five burns. It is comfy, relaxing, and can carry five large bags of ice if you lean the stack towards your lower back (ahhhhhh :)). My main problem is any time the playa isn't hard packed... it can be impossible to pedal, and it is really difficult to get any sort of "kick" into the motion to propell yourself along. Honestly, I almost busted out my front teeth in 2008 (or 9? the really sucky year when the city was huge and the playa was loose) when I tried to pedal hard through a berm standing up... I hadn't tightened down the handlebars enough for such pressure, and they folded straight forward, FAST. :shock: I bumped my lip on the gooseneck but no broken teeth. It was just sheer luck. Oh how much that would have sucked shit...first day of the Burn. Certainly having three speeds would help.

I have since learned to use a wrench on the nut-end of the quick-release levers to tighten the hell out of the frame connection, seat, and handlebars especially. As well, I suggest getting a set of Hello Kitty 20" tires so you can leave kawaii/cuteness everywhere you ride. :D Seriously, they are thicker than the stock whitewalls so they ride better. Be sure to clean the rear hub thoroughly after the burn/before storage or u'll be sorry!

May you all have an epic burn!!!

Mosin (from Mashad, Iran: Oh the places you'll go...when you didn't get a ticket! ;))
Come down with fire - Lift my spirit higher -Someone's screaming my name - Come and make me holy again....
Mosin

Burning Since: 2007

Postby gyre » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:02 am

Mashad, Iran!

You'll put your eye out!
gyre

Postby Mosin » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:10 am

gyre wrote:Mashad, Iran!

You'll put your eye out!

No way! Imam Reza protects everyone who visits (even if they didn't come to visit him :)). As for the country a lil bit to my right... yikes!! Trikes even!! :mrgreen:
Come down with fire - Lift my spirit higher -Someone's screaming my name - Come and make me holy again....
Mosin

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Marscrumbs » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:44 pm

playaSilk wrote:Along similar lines, has anyone tried the Schwinn Meridian? I too am looking for a trike, and for me the $60+ savings vs the Worksman/Westport models will be rather noticeable. Thanks in advance!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AYKISE

I love my Schwinn Meridian playa bike!!!!

It has been the very best convenience/ art project I have ever done at Burningman. You can sit on it at 0mph lug it across any surface. Carries anything. Decorates better. Travels slower than a bike unless you put an emotor on it where it becomes a chariot of the gods.
Marscrumbs

Return to Transportation