Vintage Canvas Tents on playa

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Re: Vintage Canvas Tents on playa

Postby gyre » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:08 am

If you block all light/heat ventilation isn't an issue.

But aren't these open at the ends?
gyre

Postby fresh » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:08 pm

FIGJAM wrote:You are going to what the extra hight as the top foot under the shade will be HOT.

Do you mean "... want the extra height .."?

Gyre- Yes it would be open on the ends, but i have seen in thread where they suggest 6" - 1ft gap on the sides as well.

I may just stick with the double spine option and cut the 10' rib pieces to 8.5'. with a 5 ft middle piece it would be 22' rib with 20' tarp so have a 1' gap between playa and tarp. Maybe cut middle section as well to 4 feet for a 6" gap. Glad i bought that pvc cutter.
"All the worlds indeed a stage and we are merely players, performers and portrayers.
Each another's audience inside the gilded cage." - N. Peart
"SAFETY THIRD" - Some idiot
fresh

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Black Rock Roller Disco

Postby gyre » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:31 pm

I don't guess it matters much when it's open at the ends.

My tent stayed cooler totally wrapped, until late afternoon.
I try to save late day heat for the night.
gyre

Postby wimala1 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:50 am

fresh, here is the link that i built my hut from. last year was truly no test though due to no wind! i agree with figjam in that it is hot near the top of the tent and i am also going with a small backpacker tent under the hut this year instead of the larger tent from last year. more hang out shade! once again, i am going with figjams swamp cooler. try this link as the plans for the hut are very solid.

http://galaxybeing.com/galaxyhut/
boyznme
wimala1

Postby fresh » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:30 pm

Ok got my Kodiak tent today!!! Finally! After putting it up I feel like I would like to keep my current PVC setup, the double spine, and get two 3' pieces of shade cloth to compensate for the large gap on both sides. Attach that to PVC ends using gator clips. This hopefully will provide shade and give a little more air flow. Any thoughts if this is over complicating things or if maybe it will actually work??
"All the worlds indeed a stage and we are merely players, performers and portrayers.
fresh

Postby nncoco » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:02 pm

I have one just like the photo and it has been to burning man 8 times since 1999. It works great. Very roomy and sturdy. Seals up against the dust and can not blow over. I highly recommend a tent like that over a modern 2-wall dust catcher.
nncoco

Postby nncoco » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:05 pm

The exterior bars also hold a tarp with a nice air space to keep it cooler. Get an old area rug for the entrance and you have it made.
nncoco

Postby Ratty » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:31 pm

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 38,7832805

This is the tent I got today. It appears to be made of felt. Where is the tent of my dreams? This ain't it. I gave up trying to coax the poles into the end grommets.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby Oldguy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:51 pm

A tepee has a hole in the top for a reason, remember to use sidewalls to create that vent draft.
Image current moon

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Alva Edison
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Dogpatch

Postby gyre » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:15 pm

That's car cover material.

Make sure the poles aren't hanging on the sleeves.
Can be tricky.
gyre

Postby Bob » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:11 pm

What happened to the Thermos tent?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Ratty » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:07 pm

Now it has a buddy in the hut. I still plan to put it up. After I got those additional instructions I felt it was going to work. Hummmmm...I guess I better try it huh? This gold tent is made of an extra heavy version of that car cover material. It has a heavy plastic floor too. Supposedly it's waterproof. I guess I love tents. I knew I had a thing for giant stuff and office supplies. But tents? Learn something every day.
Ratty

Postby Bob » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:38 pm

Bring them all. Make a tent farm.

My favorite tent is an old Sierra Designs pyramid, has three straight poles and a hexagonal floor. Elegant as fuck.

Bob

Postby Ratty » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:19 am

I'm gonna give that thermos another try and if it isn't easy I'll bring a low profile back packer and move on to more important things like what kind of tequila, pop tarts or power bars.
Ratty

Postby fresh » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:57 am

IMAG0272.jpg
EPIC FAIL!! Put up my new Kodiak 10x10 tent under the skeleton of the monkey hut setup. Sure enough the tent height is so high that it was hitting the top. DId not even attempt to put the tarp on. I may try to move make the hut a couple feet narrower to increase the height of the peak, but I'm not too hopeful. I may have to rethink the entire shade structure!! Any opinions out there?? Geez I really wish I had a big yard to test this out than trying every rocky patch. I pound that rebar so hard it is bending....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fresh

Postby Ratty » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:56 pm

Wow. And I thought I had troubles. I confess. I bought a tent at a yard sale today. For just $5 I got some Walmart thing that is 3 tents connected together by tunnels. (The 2 small ones remind me of dog igloos.) You can zip them together or not. It has a plastic tarp floor on all 3 but the main tent has mainly a screen for a roof. Nice rain fly though. Maybe I can use the rods/poles to put up that Eddie Bauer that came with no poles. Or throw the rain fly over that Thermos. This brings a whole new meaning to 'Tent Sale'. If I had room in the car I would bring em all and pass em out to the shelter disadvantaged.
Ratty

Postby Bob » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:11 pm

PVC is ass. I'd gift it to your local Mexican landscaper, at least he'll get some use out of it.

I'd bring the Kodiak and rig a simple awning and leave it at that.

Bob

Postby Bob » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:22 am

This page on tarp configurations is part of a site that contains a vast amount of camping savvy.

http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/tarp/TarpShel.htm

Top level of the FAQ files:

http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/

Bob

Postby Ratty » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:53 am

That tarp configuration page looks a lot like origami.
Ratty

Postby vargaso » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:10 pm

wimala1 wrote:fresh, here is the link that i built my hut from. last year was truly no test though due to no wind! i agree with figjam in that it is hot near the top of the tent and i am also going with a small backpacker tent under the hut this year instead of the larger tent from last year. more hang out shade! once again, i am going with figjams swamp cooler. try this link as the plans for the hut are very solid.

http://galaxybeing.com/galaxyhut/

That's a really great improvement over the basic monkey hut design. I especially like the vertical supports you added, which I imagine keeps the shape of the structure a lot better during wind storms. I just might use this. Thanks!

Monkey huts do act quite well as a wind block if you've situated it correctly so that the wind comes at it from the sides. We had ours up during the really bad white-outs in 2008 and while the hut was a'flappin', the tent underneath was not. Thankfully, we sleep in our minivan now. Sleeping in tents at Burning Man is a young man's game.

As for old canvas tents, hell no. Go to Walmart and spend $60, use it solely as a Burning Man tent for a 2-4 years, then buy another one when that one is toast. We still use an old Coleman tent for gear, it's survived 4 times on the playa and can still be used as the kids' tent when doing regular camping. Pretty sure we didn't spend more than $50 on it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the absolute best way to sleep on the playa if you're not doing an RV or trailer, is to park a van or SUV under a monkey hut and sleep in that. Put up solar shades on the front and rear windows and you'll stay cool until almost noon. Helluva lot quieter and FAR less dusty than a tent, too.
vargaso

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby fresh » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:16 pm

OK I altered the monkey hut by reducing width to 12 feet. I also used two 3' x 16' sections of shade cloth to compensate for the area not covered by my tarp. I am attaching pictures below. This is not 100% complete. I need more rope to do cross supports and want to do guy lines from the outer pvc ribs to playa. I did have issues with candy cane rebar not holding in the dirt area I am testing at. I am wondering how HABOOB proof this will be!!! I am considering scraping this whole project to avoid disaster, but have enough time and $$ invested that I want to make it work.

IMAG0288.jpg
IMAG0300.jpg
IMAG0296.jpg

ANy advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
fresh

Postby Bob » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:42 pm

I don't see why you can't kick out the sides a foot or two at an inward angle to make more of a parabolic arch that should shed the winos a little better and still clear the tent by a foot. Might need stiffer stakes than 1/2" rebar to make it happen.

Also, should be easy to retrofit all edges with 3/8" or 1/2" brass grommets every 12", between the stitching. Grommets in the middle of the tarp corresponding to where it rests on the frame might be good for passing guy lines through and tying onto the frame, maybe at the one-third and two-thirds height levels, or just punch them in every foot or two. Reinforce grommet locations w/ Gorilla tape or other good quality duct tape. Makes more locations where you can put stakes, guy lines, rope ties, zip ties or bungee balls, to attach tarp-to-tarp, tarp-to-frame, tarp-to-ground, etc. That variety of vinyl tarp can rattle a lot in the wind.

Save your wine corks, they're good for random tie jobs on unruly awnings.

Bob

Postby fresh » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:55 pm

Thanks BOB!!!! Are you saying pound stakes pointing inwards an inch? As far as rebar, i got way too much 1/2" already cut. I got 3' stakes that I have not used and will probably pound in 1 1/2' deep leaving 1 1/2' to put pvc over. Did not use those in this test since I been hitting some rocks there and have bent a few stakes already!!! I have grommet kit and will reinforce the tarp. The shade material I am using clip-on holders. Is gluing the shade material to tarp a smart move?? EEK!!! Need to buy even more Bungee Balls!!!!! And more Monster Tape!!!! Wish I knew the cork trick earlier!

I also want to guy out from last pvc rib to playa. Was thinking of using straps, not sure if that is smart or dumb....
fresh

Postby Jared » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:02 pm

I'm thinking about making my own canvas tent for next year. What is the lightest fabric that would block dust? (ie: Can I use something more air-permeable than canvas?)
Jared

Postby Bob » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:37 pm

Should probably look at canvas tents similar to what you want, online or at the library, use a similar weight, and heavily reinforce the seams and corners. You might be happier using canvas tarps on a conduit frame, though.

Bob

Postby Jared » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:09 pm

Bob wrote:Should probably look at canvas tents similar to what you want, online or at the library, use a similar weight, and heavily reinforce the seams and corners. You might be happier using canvas tarps on a conduit frame, though.

Canvas tents are generally designed for a wider range of conditions than the desert. Canvas painter's tarps are definitely my fall-back option, but I'd like to hear some speculation about what I could get away with. Bedsheets?
Jared

Postby Jackass » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:25 pm

Um, actually you get probably the widest range of conditions in the desert. Temps. high and low, wind, rain, flying dirt, flying neighbor's camp stuff, possible snow or hail, thunderstorms and possible inundation all you're missing is earthquakes, tornados and wild boar.
Don't worry, it'll get weird...
Jackass

Postby Ratty » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:12 pm

That weird yellow tent of mine was a superstar, (until the zipper died). Zippers have a way of doing that in the dry heat dust etc... I'm sewing a velcro flap on it for next year. It was a great tent.
Ratty

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping