How @ risk is my ticket!?!?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

How @ risk is my ticket!?!?

Postby bpenzarella » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:41 am

Hey!
So I am probably one of the MANY who bought tickets off ebay and paid MORE than face value.
The STARTING BID BEGAN WELL BELOW FACE VALUE, at $20. But you can't help it when the price goes up because people bid so early in the game that prices get ridiculous, ending somewhere around $500-$600.
So, My question is:
EXACTLY, how much am I at risk of my ticket becoming cancelled because I paid over face value??
I have already been scammed out of a few hundred dollars and don't want to lose MORE money because they are going to cancel tickets purchased over face value...EVEN though it's a good ticket and
DID NOT come from a scammer.
How is the person who sells the ticket supposed to help the bids from going up and up??

Is it fair to cancel a ticket that was ORIGINALLY purchased in the beginning and then sold again because they could'nt go?
How is it fair to cancel a ticket even after someone like myself has paid for a real ticket to then be told I can't use it?? What was once good is no good because of up sell and now I would be OUT a couple more hundred dollars...
It almost seems like a scam in itself...

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just want a straight forward answer so I don't prep and buy everything to then be told NO!
=/
Thanks All!
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
bpenzarella

Burning Since: 2012

Re: How @ risk is my ticket!?!?

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:46 am

You bought your ticket and now you take your chances.
Which is worse: Being turned around at Gate or having a perfectly good ticket and not using it? You get to answer that question. And I don't think you're likely to get a whole lot of information because most of us don't have it, and those that do are probably not inclinded to share it.
IMHO
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:58 am

Unfortunately, no one can calculate the exact risk. You can check your confirmation against the numbers here, but it should not be considered a complete list of voided tickets.

viewtopic.php?f=290&t=54945
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Rice » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:59 am

bpenzarella wrote:Hey!
So I am probably one of the MANY who bought tickets off ebay and paid MORE than face value.
The STARTING BID BEGAN WELL BELOW FACE VALUE, at $20. But you can't help it when the price goes up because people bid so early in the game that prices get ridiculous, ending somewhere around $500-$600.
So, My question is:
EXACTLY, how much am I at risk of my ticket becoming cancelled because I paid over face value??
I have already been scammed out of a few hundred dollars and don't want to lose MORE money because they are going to cancel tickets purchased over face value...EVEN though it's a good ticket and
How is the person who sells the ticket supposed to help the bids from going up and up??

Is it fair to cancel a ticket that was ORIGINALLY purchased in the beginning and then sold again because they could'nt go?
How is it fair to cancel a ticket even after someone like myself has paid for a real ticket to then be told I can't use it?? What was once good is no good because of up sell and now I would be OUT a couple more hundred dollars...
It almost seems like a scam in itself...

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just want a straight forward answer so I don't prep and buy everything to then be told NO!
=/
Thanks All!

Well, here is something from Burning Man that might help: http://burningman.com/news/news_story.html?id=19752yy=2012

There is a link in that post to the current list of ticket serial numbers that have been canceled.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Eric » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:06 am

stretch80 wrote:There is a link in that post to the current list of ticket serial numbers that have been canceled.

The thread Savannah linked to are the same numbers, updated as Trilobyte gets them from the Org (ie: as up-to-date as is out there)

To check a number easily, in your browser window on a PC hit Ctrl+F, then enter the number. On a Mac, hit Cmd+F.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby fritz » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:13 am

bpenzarella wrote:...EVEN though it's a good ticket and

How is it fair to cancel a ticket even after someone like myself has paid for a real ticket to then be told I can't use it??

IMO, the choice to put a ticket on ebay and allowing it to be an open ended auction means the person is intentionally selling the ticket over face value for profit, or in other words an obvious scalper. That same person could have posted the ticket on ebay with a "buy now" price of face value. The person could have placed the ticket on another website at face value or even offered the ticket on eplaya. You are being foolish if you think the seller had no control over the selling price. The ticket was being sold by a scalper and should be cancelled.

However, I understand your strong desire to go to BM may have caused you to irrationally pay more than face value and to feed the scalping system. I sincerely hope that you don't have any problems and can enjoy your burn.
fritz

Burning Since: 2009

Postby ACfromSAC » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:17 am

fritz wrote:
IMO, the choice to put a ticket on ebay and allowing it to be an open ended auction means the person is intentionally selling the ticket over face value for profit, or in other words an obvious scalper. That same person could have posted the ticket on ebay with a "buy now" price of face value.

This. I just purchased two tickets on ebay moments ago at face value plus the fees, $710 for two tier 2 tickets. Easily controlled ticket price.
ACfromSAC

Postby Savannah » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:20 am

Eric wrote:
stretch80 wrote:There is a link in that post to the current list of ticket serial numbers that have been canceled.

The thread Savannah linked to are the same numbers, updated as Trilobyte gets them from the Org (ie: as up-to-date as is out there)

To check a number easily, in your browser window on a PC hit Ctrl+F, then enter the number. I have no idea how to "find" on a Mac.

It's Command + F.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby trilobyte » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:22 am

You're at risk until you get through the gates.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Jackass » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:50 am

You should have bought them on eplaya, there's plenty of them showing up every day. Those ebay guys are chicken shit, claiming to be well intentioned burners who "can't make it this year, last minute blah blah blah" bullshit, put a buy it now tag on it with face plus fees. They thought they were going to skin the hog on this one, but I don't think that they are making out all that well- the bastards.
Don't worry, it'll get weird...
Jackass

Postby wh..sh » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:37 pm

Eric wrote:To check a number easily, in your browser window on a PC hit Ctrl+F, then enter the number. On a Mac, hit Cmd+F.

:D This has to be the cutest thing I have read all day!
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby pink » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:15 pm

How to not overpay? Stop bidding at face value!
(facepalm)
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby lemur » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:35 pm

its ebay.. some people have their brain shut off.. and they are no longer "buying" something but trying to "win" ..
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby gyre » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:42 am

It's ebay.
I don't think you can cancel it after bidding starts.

Who would ever believe anyone would be stupid enough to pay more than three hundred anyway?

Read on the psychology of auctions.

There is no reason to place more than one bid on ebay unless you are locking an auction in at the beginning.
One bid.
gyre

Postby mgb327 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:03 am

I have been Power-Seller for 11 years. If I listed a ticket in an "auction format", I know, you know, we all know I am a scalper. If I list it there with a face-value "Buy-It-Now", I am a Burner. I would HAVE TO have a photo of the back showing I am not asking $420 for a level one ticket. I would NOT drive to gate with a ticket I bought in an auction at more than face value, as it takes me thousands of dollars just to GET TO THE GATE. Good luck.....
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.
mgb327

Postby misfit » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:33 am

whats the #'s on the ticket..... :wink:
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.
misfit

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Postby dragonpilot » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:44 pm

wh..sh wrote:
Eric wrote:To check a number easily, in your browser window on a PC hit Ctrl+F, then enter the number. On a Mac, hit Cmd+F.

You ARE a girl!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:34 pm

Jackass wrote:You should have bought them on eplaya, there's plenty of them showing up every day. Those ebay guys are chicken shit, claiming to be well intentioned burners who "can't make it this year, last minute blah blah blah" bullshit, put a buy it now tag on it with face plus fees. They thought they were going to skin the hog on this one, but I don't think that they are making out all that well- the bastards.

The thing that sucks about this tactic, though is that it punishes the Burner, not the scalper. I realize the intent is to be a deterrent, but a lot of first timers are gonna get their clocked cleaned by this misguided tactic, IMHO while the scalpers laugh all the way to the bank.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Postby lemur » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:36 pm

agreed.

its a bullshit move on the part of those responsible.

zerotolerance type rules never work out: this is an example of why..

the policy/practice basically says both people are the assholes.. but only the 'victim' gets fucked over.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:51 pm

wh..sh wrote:

I worked in-house IT at a law firm a while ago, never underestimate how much basic computer knowledge people do not have, even "smart" people.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby wh..sh » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:04 pm

dragonpilot wrote:
wh..sh wrote::D This has to be the cutest thing I have read all day!

You ARE a girl!

Doubting Thomas, is that you? :P

Eric wrote:I worked in-house IT at a law firm a while ago, never underestimate how much basic computer knowledge people do not have, even "smart" people.

Of course, I have worked with all sort of clients (including my parents) to underestimate any of that. That's why I thought it was sweet of you to mention that.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:33 pm

To save a trip to the gate and then get turned back for those with secondary market tickets from unknown sources, you might try to meet some burners in your regional with a known good ticket and compare them in detail. Just be sure they are protected from any switcheroo con, by having them record their serial numbers.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby CrispyDave » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:15 pm

Savannah wrote:Unfortunately, no one can calculate the exact risk. You can check your confirmation against the numbers here, but it should not be considered a complete list of voided tickets.

viewtopic.php?f=290&t=54945

The risk it exactly 50/50 you get in or you dont. Not counting someone giving you a ticket at the gate when you is no good.
Plan for the worst, expect the best.
Make the most out of it under any conditions.
If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself.
CrispyDave

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Temple Guardians

Postby videoparker28 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:14 am

If you check on the BM tickets page, under fraud, you'll find a list of canceled tickets. BMORG and Burners Against Scalpers on Fb have been gathering scalper info then BMORG ticketing reviews it. IF tickets are canceled, then you will be screwed. One guy sold several on ebay then got caught and 9 of his were voided and who knows who got some of them. This is why we ask no one buy from a scalper because it hurts the community in more that one way. Don't scalp OR buy from scalpers. I hope you are covered but dude...there is even a round of tickets going out today and ebay prices drop as it gets closer and scalpers just want to unload. Best wishees to you brother and we'll see ya there
videoparker28

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:27 am

Lord Of Ruin wrote:
Jackass wrote:You should have bought them on eplaya, there's plenty of them showing up every day. Those ebay guys are chicken shit, claiming to be well intentioned burners who "can't make it this year, last minute blah blah blah" bullshit, put a buy it now tag on it with face plus fees. They thought they were going to skin the hog on this one, but I don't think that they are making out all that well- the bastards.

The thing that sucks about this tactic, though is that it punishes the Burner, not the scalper. I realize the intent is to be a deterrent, but a lot of first timers are gonna get their clocked cleaned by this misguided tactic, IMHO while the scalpers laugh all the way to the bank.

LoR

So. What's your alternative? Give them a refund? Let them in?
At some point, there is a duty we all have to protect ourselves. I know I don't say this often on this board, but the llc can't be a warm huggy parent to everyone...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Rice » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:14 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
Lord Of Ruin wrote:

LoR

So. What's your alternative? Give them a refund? Let them in?
At some point, there is a duty we all have to protect ourselves. I know I don't say this often on this board, but the llc can't be a warm huggy parent to everyone...

Why would the BM LLC refund money to people who bought cancelled ticket(s) from a scalper?? There is an inherent risk that the individual needs to be aware of. Sometimes it works out fine, other times one gets ripped off. If one makes a poor decision they should be responsible for the consequences. Not Burning Man, or anyone else.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:19 am

Okay then, we are in agreement. I just couldn't figure out what you meant, I guess. Sorry.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby offarock » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:26 am

Agree 100%.
The org has the right to act in the best interest of our community.
Yes, someone could buy a scalped ticket that was voided by the BORG. Just as in past years there were counterfeit tickets and the buyer would be in the same position.

I think the BORG have made it pretty clear that there are risks buying from 3rd parties and more risk from buying scalped tickets.
This signature left intentionally blank.
offarock

Camp Name: Silicon Village - Squirreltopia

Postby Nipple » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:31 am

trilobyte wrote:You're at risk until you get through the gates.

You have a reasonably good chance of arrival.
Nipple

Postby fresh » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:44 am

Lord Of Ruin wrote:

LoR

Actually if done correctly and the buyer paid with PayPal and Visa and NOT through bank account, then they have a claim against the scalper that they were sold fraudulent tickets and have their money refunded. The scalper will then have repercussions over their ebay status. The scalper loses one of his selling outlets, hopefully the burned get their cash back and JUST had to turn around. I think that how it works...
"All the worlds indeed a stage and we are merely players, performers and portrayers.
Each another's audience inside the gilded cage." - N. Peart
"SAFETY THIRD" - Some idiot
fresh

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Black Rock Roller Disco

Next

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion