The Pier 2

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Re: The Pier 2

Postby MyDearFriend » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:19 pm

fbcota wrote:ITS UP!!!!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1705373243/pier-2-burning-man-2012

Please go check out our kickstarter, share it and donate if you like. We need a ton of help to make this dream happen.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you,
Matt

Thank you thank YOU!!! 8)

bbtdtbth
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby fbcota » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:49 pm

Thank you thank you thank you :).

Now we just have to get some more people donating :).
fbcota

Postby MyDearFriend » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:24 pm

33 people in three days, that's not too bad 8) but, yeah, need more folks. Cough it up, y'all, you know this is a fantastic thing for BRC.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby Minxy » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:37 pm

I LOVED the Pier and I love the teeny model of Pier 2! It looks great!

I'm super excited to see it on playa. Thank you for making such neat, impressive and playful art!
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah
Minxy

Postby Machina » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:02 pm

You have my $! The Pier last year was awesome and interactive. Stoked to see the Pier 2 this year. :D
Machina

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Schwarttzy » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Hope to sport that Bandana at BM this year!
Schwarttzy

Postby Savior69 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:15 pm

The Pier 2011 was one of the most pleasing playa installations I have experienced as an 8-year + burner. It was perfect in scale and just stuck the right note. The impact may have been lost on people who came to Burning Man for the first time, because it fit so well and was so perfect in execution, but didn't have the immediate "Wow" factor of like The Waffle or Big Rig Jig (both amazing), but it was so perfect, it was like for people how had been out there for years, "Duh," yeah. The best design is simple, yet complex. The Pier was just that. Kudos to the makers. I will donate to No. 2, but it will be really hard to top the power of the original.
BM Pictures: www.pbase.com/1969
Savior69

Postby Galaxo Magic » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:45 pm

The Pier 2011 was a must stop for our Mutant Vehicle every time out! Support The Pier 2!

Beau Le'Phant approves this message.
Elephant trainer to the MV Beau Le'Phant, the pink elephant!
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Postby fbcota » Tue May 01, 2012 1:18 am

:). Thank you for the very very kind words. The Pier was something that became more than its parts and we all know it will be near impossible to follow. This year its a bit of something old and a bit of something new. We hope, people will see Pier 2 in its own light, as something different and unique.

Part of Pier 2 is a response to the pressure we felt in following the first pier. We are ramming a ship into a beloved art project. Maybe if we can't top it, we can at least destroy it. Although a much bigger part is a chance to continue the story of The Pier and further develop the imagined world in which The Pier resides.

Ha, look at me trying to sound like we are making high art :p
fbcota

Postby junglesmacks » Tue May 01, 2012 7:08 am

Any word on the final destruction of The Pier? There was talk of mock naval battles, fire, famine, plagues..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Tue May 01, 2012 2:30 pm

Here's someone who might be able to help with a cool prop!
http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=284&t=55319

I hope this doesn't constitute a cross-post..
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby fbcota » Wed May 09, 2012 11:35 am

No word on how the Pier will end its 2 year life yet. We have been chatting about a number of ideas and concepts.

We may have a donor willing to help us with both the install and supply of a whole bunch of fire producing fun :). As in, there may be some fire on the ship :).

And our course, I will beg for money too. Our Kickstarter has slowed quite a bit in the last week. We really need it to be successful or the entire scope of the project is greatly reduced! So, if you liked the Pier. Considering sharing our kickstarter with friends, family, wealthy pets, etc,...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1705373243/pier-2-burning-man-2012?ref=home_location
fbcota

Postby fbcota » Wed May 16, 2012 11:14 am

So I posted this on our Kickstarter:

Second, if you would like to share a memory from last years project, an interesting story that maybe included The Pier or maybe an idea in regards to how you would like to experience Pier 2, please post a comment on our Kickstarter and/or another public forum.

One of my favorite memories was maybe the first night of Burning Man. A handful of us were standing at the end of The Pier, practicing our hippie fishing techniques when one of the large yachts approached. Unnoticed behind them, a massive glowing red shark started circling in the water.

We all cried "Shark!!!" Calling the Yacht team into action. There was a frantic chase, each circling around each other at the end of The Pier.

One of us called out "Try to catch it" and with a flip of the wrist a beer can attached to our trusty fishing pole was flying through the air toward the mighty red shark.

That beer can landed in a small opening in the front grill of the shark car. It was like the beer can knew its mission as it wriggled deeper and deeper, getting well stuck as the shark whipped away. With a bit of quick thinking, well maybe medium thinking, we cut the line fearing we would loose the rod. We all laughed as the shark zoomed away, 30 ft of line dangling off its nose and a beer can wedge in its grill."

Thought it would be good to share here too :).

http://kck.st/IaTqLR
fbcota

Postby nilasnake » Wed May 23, 2012 9:52 am

only a week left in kickstarter folks, let's make this happen! you know you want to sit on the pier and explore the ship!
nilasnake

Postby axel » Fri May 25, 2012 7:27 pm

Fire cannons!!!!
axel

Postby newyorknora » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:43 pm

Pier 2 is the reason I'm going again this year!!!!

I have sooooo many amazing, special, funny, ridiculous memories from The Pier last year.

Dangling feet off the pier watching the sunset was one of the most mind blowing, beautiful moments of my life.

Thank you thank you!
newyorknora

Postby newyorknora » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:00 am

Will there be a Blackrock Regatta this year? That was one of the highlights for me last year. Maybe it will happen EVERY evening at sunset yes yes? :D
newyorknora

Postby Madgirl » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:58 pm

SOOOO excited that the Pier is coming back! Only made one visit to it last year but it was a good night :D Can't wait to see how this turns out
Madgirl

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ECHO

Postby fbcota » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:35 pm

Hi Everyone,

In the past week one of our crew members on The Pier, Kelly Proud was admitted to the ICU for a lung infection. It looks like she will be in the hospital for quite sometime and she, like most of us Burners has no insurance and no money to fall back on. Her family and friends are doing their best to help her, but she is facing a monumental medical bill when she recovers.

We were able to raise over $45,000 to build a ship in the dessert. Maybe we can do the same thing to help a dear dear friend overcome what is going to be a very challenging time in her life. Please go to [url]http://www.giveforward.com/helpstitchpayherbillsontimeforthefirsttimeever[/url] and lets show her our love and support. I know this is not completely on topic, and may violate the rules of this forum but I will not sit back and watch one of my dear friends, crew member and a long time member of our community go without help.

Thanks,

The Pier Group.
fbcota

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:19 pm

http://www.giveforward.com/helpstitchpayherbillsontimeforthefirsttimeever
Reposting, hoping that it works right for me. It seemed to on preview.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:34 pm

I've typed in my info 4 times and it is not being accepted. I fucking hate that shit.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby silkkat813 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:43 am

I am late cathing up on ePlaya this year. I will donate for her medical bills when I get home today.

I loved the Pier in 2011. I was camping on 3:15 and E so I passed it many times when going out on the playa. It was how I found my way back to my camp. I spent many times walking along it and thinking of summers in Jersey. One of my highlights of the year was watching the sunset from the Pier with a few new friends who have developed into very close friends now. I am driving to BRC this year with one of those new friends. I look forward to seeing what you do with it this year.

I should be on playa earlier than most of my camp for a staff shift. Since my camp won't need work yet, I can come by to help if you need. Know where you will be placed?
*taking the long way HOME*
silkkat813

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby oscillator » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:27 am

Hi Matt:

Osc here from Ill Ville - we loved the Pier 1 in front in of the VIllage in 2011.

Looking fwd to Pier 2 and want to schedule our Fire performances around your burn.

Do you have a time & alternate for your burn?

soon,

-Osc
Illumination Village
2:30 & Esplanade
oscillator

Postby tisha2 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:14 pm

wondering when the regatta is planned to happen? we have the Thugboat (link below), but we are also part of a CORE burn (The Twisted Upright House) that is set to burn Thursday at 9pm. hoping hoping hoping the regatta is not on Thursday eve???
ERP ~ Emergency Resource Procurement
"if i can't find it, yer f***ed"
https://www.facebook.com/pages/ERP-Emergency-Resource-Procurement/257100377734118

how we roll:
https://www.facebook.com/TheThugboat
tisha2

Postby oscillator » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:26 pm

@ Matt: never mind - got word today
oscillator

Postby googbox2 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:34 am

Hey guys-
Just a little update, we are in the throws of packing up the truck and the first wave of crew heads out to the dust tomorrow! Woo hoo!

Once again, we'll be having the Black Rock Regatta on Wednesday night-ish (sunset-ish) so bring your boats, your mermaids, your giant shark and whale kites, your smiles, your swimming floaties, whatever!

Kickstarter donors- please bear with us, shirts and other rewards are going out in the mail this week.

Everything is moving along, we have an amazing crew of workers helping to make this all happen, and we can't wait for you all to experience this year's rendition. See you soon!
googbox2

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:00 am

Hot off the press!!

Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby VultureChow » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:04 am

junglesmacks wrote:Hot off the press!!

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 0050_n.jpg

:shock:

Something tells me hallucinogens are a bit redundant on the playa. Everything out there is a giant wonderful mind fuck.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby nilasnake » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:21 am

it looks so ghostly in the dust!
nilasnake

Postby Undecided » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:00 am

As if I wasn't already excited enough :)
Chris (Undecided) | 2011 Dusty B'Owl | 2012 Sparklepony Express | Soundcloud
Undecided

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Art & Performance