Costume & Crafting Help

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Re: Costume & Crafting Help

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:29 pm

delle wrote:Just be DAMN sure to fold over and finish the brocade so it doesn't frazzleup and moop all over the place.

I find that machine sewing on "edging" is an easy way to contain potential mess and create a clean and THIN edge to then (hand) sew (if necessary) on to the garment. The edging is cheap (dollar store, even, if you're lucky) -- and the different colours can be a bonus.

Fucking brocade. I love brocade. I've learned from my sewing and thrift-store shopping that I might have a bit of a fetish for brocade and velvet. But fuck, brocade is a MOOPy bitch. Other MOOPy fabrics to watch out for: satin, especially if it's lightweight, taffeta, organza. I was complaining to a friend over email about organza, and how while I was crafting something from it, I would find threads of it all over the apartment like cobwebs, and she said something about "organza meltdowns" on Project Runway. I haven't seen it, but I'm not surprised.

Edging is cool and very convenient.

Another trick: Since I am not great at hemming, and I don't have a convenient place to buy edging, I have found that sometimes you can get away with just doing a really dense zigzag stitch (set on a stitch length of about 0.5, so the stitches are right next to each other), right along the very edge of the fabric (kind of overlapping it, like a pseudo-serger). It works great with really heavy fabrics (like canvas), but I have also used it with some medium-weight ones (heavy satin, ultrasuede). I plan to try it on some medium-weight brocade, too.It will, however, just destroy more delicate fabrics: The needle holes actually perforate the fabric, and your stitched edge will tear right off. Testing on a scrap is probably a good idea.
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby lazerfox » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:31 pm

Isn't there also a fray preventing spray/glue that one can buy at the craft stores that is applied to the edges prior to sewing?
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister
lazerfox

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:43 pm

skihikejj wrote:Would I possibly have to add to the brocade to match the thickness of the wool?...ooohh my poor sewing machine.

I have a love / hate relationship with brocades. I love the rich look and feel so I use it more than any other fabric but it is a royal pain in the ass to use.

First it is hard to sew since it tends to distort under tension (stretch is not really the right word for it). Be really careful that it is laying perfectly flat when cutting your patterns. Avoid putting tension on it when feeding it into the machine as well.

Fraying is also annoying but immediately after cutting I apply a liberal dose of fray check to the entire edge of each piece and allow it to dry before continuing. Note that fray check only reduces the fraying of brocades and does not fully eliminate it.

When working with brocades I always use a lining (pre washed flannel or cotton) to minimize the exposure of the frayable edge. The lining is also handy for keeping the brocade more dimensionally stable making it easier to sew. The inside of many brocades also have a weird feel against the skin and I like the comfort and warmth of soft flannel.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:44 pm

lazerfox wrote:Isn't there also a fray preventing spray/glue that one can buy at the craft stores that is applied to the edges prior to sewing?

Yes, the sprays don't work well with brocades (and might stain), but the liquid Fray Check brand product helps quite a bit.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Drawingablank

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:48 pm

Yeah, learning how different fabrics respond to tension has been a big part of the curve for me. I like the way stretch fabrics get curled/ruffled at the edge. But it can be annoying with fabrics where you're not expecting it -- suddenly, everything's misshapen and pieces that should fit together don't. Almost everything is frustrating when your piece is cut on the diagonal.
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby slvrnmph » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:20 pm

French or encased seams are also used often when working with a fabric that frays to prevent the the fraying. It takes more thread and more time since you essentially end up sewing each seam twice, but it also creates a strong seam and pretty finished look.

This is a pretty good picture tutorial on it http://www.sewneau.com/how.to/french.seam.html
( \_/)
(O.o)
(< >)
slvrnmph

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:27 pm

slvrnmph wrote:French or encased seams are also used often when working with a fabric that frays to prevent the the fraying. It takes more thread and more time since you essentially end up sewing each seam twice, but it also creates a strong seam and pretty finished look.

This is a pretty good picture tutorial on it http://www.sewneau.com/how.to/french.seam.html

You also need to adjust the pattern for a larger seam allowance.

Drawingablank

Postby slvrnmph » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:40 pm

Drawingablank wrote:
slvrnmph wrote:French or encased seams are also used often when working with a fabric that frays to prevent the the fraying. It takes more thread and more time since you essentially end up sewing each seam twice, but it also creates a strong seam and pretty finished look.

You also need to adjust the pattern for a larger seam allowance.

Excellent point and reminder (for me). I should get less lazy and post up some of my various creations for you all to see.
( \_/)
(O.o)
(< >)
slvrnmph

Burning Since: 2005

Postby skihikejj » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:00 pm

Thanks for the input. I didn't even think of the moop factor, but once I got to the fabric store I probably would have thought of it. Maybe I'll go for a nice burnt velvet.
JJ
skihikejj

Burning Since: 2010

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:37 pm

skihikejj wrote:Maybe I'll go for a nice burnt velvet.

Foxfur can help with that.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby Foxfur » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:36 pm

BoyScoutGirl wrote:

Foxfur can help with that.

Hold still! I'm trying to help you.

Backpack Booyah.jpg

I'm staying with Espressodude & Helga tonight. We're goin' to Reno for Compression tomorrow!
He gave me a 20 minute schooling on his sewing machine. Look at me go!
This is fun, I really love it!
I have so many ideas...

Domesticated Fox.jpg

Wheee!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: 404 Village Not Found

Postby EmilyD » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:33 am

Foxfur wrote:
BoyScoutGirl wrote:

I'm staying with Espressodude & Helga tonight. We're goin' to Reno for Compression tomorrow!
He gave me a 20 minute schooling on his sewing machine. Look at me go!
This is fun, I really love it!
I have so many ideas...

Domesticated Fox.jpg

Wheee!

WHY...is the image of a man sewing SO DAMN SEXY!?! -->>>> http://www.wannasnuggle.com/index/
EmilyD

Postby thk127 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:04 am

I trick my cheap sewing machine when I'm sewing faux fur. I put a strip of paper below and above the fur, adding paper as I go. It keeps the fur from getting stuck in the boot. After my sew is finished I rip the paper off. Just make sure you use a thin paper like tracing paper or you will rip out your stitch. :D
-=First Burning Man 2010=-
thk127

Postby Ratty » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:17 am

Thanks Thk127, that's a great idea. I also trim the fur off before I jam it through my cheap 'box-store' singer. It can handle it if I use a fresh needle.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby EmilyD » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:18 pm

thk127 wrote:I trick my cheap sewing machine when I'm sewing faux fur. I put a strip of paper below and above the fur, adding paper as I go. It keeps the fur from getting stuck in the boot. After my sew is finished I rip the paper off. Just make sure you use a thin paper like tracing paper or you will rip out your stitch. :D

Excellent technique, a fur sammich! Wax paper can work too for this.
EmilyD

Postby EmilyD » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Hey Y'all, The costumes I'm making are requiring a fair amount of duct tape to reinforce joints on the armature. Will the glue hold up on the Playa? I haven't really tested this much duct tape before. Thanks for your experienced input.
EmilyD

Postby Savannah » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:58 pm

Hmm. I have found that duct tape falls off fabric on the playa. (Tents, specifically). I don't know if this is the same for duct tape wrapped onto itself, or on something harder, like metal.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Drawingablank » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:05 pm

We used duct tape on pvc and it bonds pretty damn well. We used duck tape brand because its available in a wide variety of colors and prints. You will probably want to avoid bargain brands though.

Edit - we also used it on rebar to snug up our solar lights slipped over and that is still wrapped tight nearly a year later - so yes to bonding well to itself also.

None of our uses was really under much tension though.

Drawingablank

Postby EmilyD » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:11 pm

Drawingablank wrote:We used duct tape on pvc and it bonds pretty damn well. We used duck tape brand because its available in a wide variety of colors and prints. You will probably want to avoid bargain brands though.

Edit - we also used it on rebar to snug up our solar lights slipped over and that is still wrapped tight nearly a year later - so yes to bonding well to itself also.

None of our uses was really under much tension though.
Thanks that' helps. There won't be much weight or tension and I'm globbing it on really heavy.
EmilyD

Postby MisaBlue » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:01 pm

I just wanted to tell you guys that you are very very awesome!
Not only you really perform great costume job here in general, but thanks to two of you - catinthefunnyhat and wh..sh - I have beautiful and rocking costumes as well.
As soon as I get it in hand...I will post a picture so you can admire the work.

This made me very very happy and it once again prove how awesome burners are!

My sarcastic black humored heart is touched and melting.

I really do love you guys!

Postby jella » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:13 pm

Drawingablank ....I found a tute for a nifty mad hatter that appears to be foldable..not sure but had to share.

Carry on...:)
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby jella » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:13 pm

Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Postby kiss-o-matic » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:12 am

I think the adult version of this would be a good idea... assuming you they have adult diapers in your area.
kiss-o-matic

Burning Since: 2012

Postby lazerfox » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:38 am

Jella - that tutorial is so helpful! I've been scouring my local thrift stores trying to find a top hat (not mad hatter per say) but this is something I could totally make instead. Thanks for sharing!
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister
lazerfox

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:26 am

Thanks Jella, that seems to fit the requirements. It never occurred to me to use interfacing for the hat.

Sadly, it will probably have to wait till next year since I have a bunch of stuff to complete and I leave in 22 days.

Drawingablank

Postby jella » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:13 am

I seem to wait until the end of July and do this mad sewing marathon thing :/.

I am "helping" mrPotatmoto make a top hat and that was one of the ideas I found..He doesn't need to pack his so we're going for the whole Buckram form route ..should be interesting
jella

Postby EmilyD » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:38 pm

jella wrote:I seem to wait until the end of July and do this mad sewing marathon thing :/.

I am "helping" mrPotatmoto make a top hat and that was one of the ideas I found..He doesn't need to pack his so we're going for the whole Buckram form route ..should be interesting

It will be interesting to find out how it holds up in a big wind too. Let us know eh? And hey, Jella, will you be bringing your cute little trailer this time? I never did get to see it.
EmilyD

Postby jella » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:14 pm

My first thought !! He plans a chin strap of sorts I'm told. Ah the pedicab turned out great..super cute too but I just couldn't relax and let Figment pedal :oops: . We sold to to a nice couple in palm springs and it has a real job now :)
jella

Postby EmilyD » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:51 pm

Oooooo, very exciting package was waiting for me at the post office. Thanks so much to catinthefunnyhat for the PURRRFECT filmy turquoise fabric. It fits in so well with the other fabrics I'm using on the waterboats. I hope you get a chance to wear one...or at the very least to see them. THANKS!!! Are you still on the lookout for some white fur trim? I'm still searching for you.
EmilyD

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:10 pm

How much white fur trim is needed? I still have the vest portion of the jacket that spawned the cricket shin armor (pictures in the archives of this thread). I'd be willing to ship it if cutting it into strips would be enough fabric.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

PreviousNext

Return to Clothing & Playawear