Input on minimal yurt like idea requested

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Input on minimal yurt like idea requested

Postby atomosk » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:32 pm

Generally a hexayurt has enough space for a few persons to lay down, some storage and a peaked roof allowing a person space to stand up. I know they work mostly by reflecting most sunlight, insulating the air inside and keeping the ground underneath cool enough for it to provide some additional cooling from underground.

I don't want to overspend on insulated boards and the incredible amount of tape required to construct a traditional yurt out there so I wanted to try just an 8'x4'x'4 box that would provide sleeping space for one and a little storage for a cooler.

This would require exactly three boards and around 12 yards of tape and I suspect it would have the same cooling ability. However I wonder if anyone has tried this before, or can think of possible concerns with this design. I'm curious about maybe this not being as cool as a regular yurt due to the smaller footprint, volume of air and flat roof as a closer proximity to the ground.

Any thoughts before starting would be appreciated.
Thanks,
atomosk

Re: Input on minimal yurt like idea requested

Postby Token » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:26 pm

With only 3 boards you can't make a truss anywhere so it will collapse.

The hexayurt is a special shape that derives its strength from triangles. Those thermo boards are too weak to be in a rectangle with two open sides.

Plus, sleeping in a coffin?
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Bob » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:54 pm

Get a tent, rube.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:28 am

The peaked roof isn't for keeping out the rain. :)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Canoe » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:30 am

Surely you mean four sheets: 3x 4'x8' for sides and top, a fourth sheet cut in half for a 4x4 piece in each end?

Triangles strong.
Without a stronger shape, you may get blown over.
(This could be solved with some external 2x3, 2x2 or 1x2 supports (external triangle buttress, however easiest for you to make), if you want to go that way. Each triangle to be staked to ground. Minimum one in the middle each side. A pair on each end too? Extra transport weight of the wood, but the wood is reusable next year and it does keep the tape length down.)

With only four feet across, you may get heat-creep through the sun-heated ground outside, so it may not be as cool as larger yurts (total footprint may not have enough ground cooling to counter the sunny-sides' heat-creep). You could counter this with something on the ground for a few feet on the sunny-sides to reflect the sun away, but expense and hassle to make sure it won't take off in the wind, or what ever is holding it down doesn't trip people up.

Here's someone doing a three sheet A-frame.
viewtopic.php?f=277&t=56116
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:57 am

Try it! What could go worng?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby hexayurt » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:13 am

Hi, check out the smaller hexayurts on the site - the H2 and the 6' hexayurt are both pretty easy to wrangle and inexpensive.

V>
hexayurt

Return to Shelter & Camping