Tips for diesel truck?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Tips for diesel truck?

Postby Joshua! » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:02 pm

Looking for tips to keep my diesel engine happy and dust free after the event. I'm planning to change my air filter before startup.

Any other tips or tricks to keep the dust from destroying my rig?

J!
Joshua!

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Gigsville

Re: Tips for diesel truck?

Postby nncoco » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:58 pm

I took my 1995 van out there and it is much more corroded on the undercarriage now. It also stalls periodically. I think I could have avoided this by giving the undercarriage a vinegar wash before the trip and changing the air filter just after exodus with a fresh paper one.
nncoco

Postby ranger magnum » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:29 pm

Bail on paper filters. Get a K&N. Playa dust is fine and oiled filters filter smaller particulates.

Battery connections and terminals suffer the most. Take off the cables and wire brush posts and terminals. Apply a little dielectric grease and put em back together.

Otherwise a diesel is no different than any other truck or car, aside from diesel fuel gelling at below freezing temps.
Drugs may take you down the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.
ranger magnum

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Postby ygmir » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:07 pm

ranger magnum wrote:Bail on paper filters. Get a K&N. Playa dust is fine and oiled filters filter smaller particulates.

Battery connections and terminals suffer the most. Take off the cables and wire brush posts and terminals. Apply a little dielectric grease and put em back together.

Otherwise a diesel is no different than any other truck or car, aside from diesel fuel gelling at below freezing temps.

I"m not sure I agree on the K and N filters.......
yeah oil is sticky, but those filters work because they restrict less, thus allowing greater air flow......but, for greater air flow, there has to be more "open area". ...........

just my thoughts

one trick I've found helpful:

park on a sprinkler when you get home, let it run, and move it around......really helpful for getting the stuff under the vehicle out.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby sharengfarrek » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:48 pm

Regular maintenance is absolutely imperative if you want a diesel engine to last, and every diesel owner will probably encounter some pitfalls and problems. Some would argue that the savings in fuel economy are offset by the higher maintenance costs associated with a diesel engine.Diesel engine maintenance will offset the rising cost of fuel and assure you of a longer life-cycle for your vehicle in general and your engine.
sharengfarrek

Burning Since: 1992
Camp Name: NO

Postby gyre » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:05 am

KN filters are better made and can be cleaned.
They mostly flow more because you use larger versions with deeper convolutions.

The better "paper" filters will match the KN ability to filter.
There are some exotic materials out there with more openings for flow.
I use a goretex on my shopvac and one made of an industrial filter material.
For indoor air cleaners, I use the traditional paper medical grades in one to two foot deep folds.

On my truck, I use the higher end stock filter, because the KN is the same size.
I have one on a big engine, a very large version.

Depending on your truck?, you may have a lot of truck options for filters.

Do not depend on the metal mesh in a KN filter to stop debris.

You may or may not need to change the filter, but check it and clean out the intake to the filter.
gyre

Return to Transportation