HexaYurts

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Re: HexaYurts

Postby junglebrad » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:05 pm

I like the idea of making an x pattern from plywood to support the panels. But I'm also wondering if 3/4" is thick enough to stay cool on the playa. I will PM Vinay to see what he thinks.
...all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration – that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves...

~Bill Hicks
junglebrad

Postby junglebrad » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:30 pm

Vinay said that 3/4" panels should work particularly well for 6' stretch yurts, and maybe using a roof pole. I did however find a supplier close by that sells 1" @ $27 a pop. Seems kind of expensive. I'm wondering if I should try the 3/4" panels. We will be building an H12 to accommodate 3 people and storage.
...all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration – that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves...

~Bill Hicks
junglebrad

Postby lucky420 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:49 pm

I'm in n. nv and paid a little over $23 a sheet for 1". And I thought that was expensive, but worth it. You might just have a little bit better piece of mind if you can afford it and the 1" may hold up better after several uses .
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby clocksnmirrors » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:49 pm

junglebrad wrote:Home Depots in Dallas are only carrying 3/4" thick Rmax R-matte, which is too flimsy. They can special order Thermasheath 1" and 1 1/2" thick, but you have to buy the whole bundle. Not an option for me. So I was thinking of getting the 3/4" thick stuff and glue them to some thin plywood (perhaps 1/4"?). I've been reading that plywood isn't the greatest material for the playa as it is heavy and a bitch to put up. But I can't seem to find anything other than 3/4" insulated panels in my area.

Any ideas?

I had the exact same problem. Saw someone else's solution and it worked out perfect. 3/4 + 1/2 taped together gives you a 1 1/4 panel. taped all edges with foil tape to join the panels.
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee heee heee heeeee! *burp*
clocksnmirrors

Burning Since: 2012

Postby lucky420 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:51 pm

yeah but that would be way more expensive than the $27 1" panels.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby clocksnmirrors » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:56 pm

lucky420 wrote:yeah but that would be way more expensive than the $27 1" panels.

i don't believe that's correct. i paid $9 + $13 = $22 and then three rolls of foil tape
clocksnmirrors

Postby junglebrad » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:09 pm

Well that sounds like a good idea but the 3/4" panels here are $19 and not sure about the 1/2" ones, but I'm sure they are more than $8. Unless I can find a cheaper supplier...

~Bill Hicks
junglebrad

Postby big baby jesus » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:42 am

I order my 2" panels through a building supply. They cater to contractors that use R-max/Thermax. On the surface, it sounds like a clusterfuck to glue panels. I haven't done it, but it sounds like something I could bugger up real fast... Try building supply and insulation companies. They deliver too.
Merci, Cedric. Remind me, we'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.
big baby jesus

Postby thk127 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:53 am

The first year I went Hexayert I bought all 13, 1" for ~$350. Thought it was expensive at the time, but the second year came around and I only had to replace 1 panels. The third year came and I only had to replace 3 panels (3 because my tie downs tore them up during exodus). If your only using the panels for a week a year and keep them from getting wet they last a long time. I discovered water and people are the panel's worst enemy.

:!: You should always have at least 1 extra, just in case one decides to break.
-=First Burning Man 2010=-
thk127

Where do I buy the materials??

Postby Wicky » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:15 pm

I've only recently been introduced to the hexayurt. What a fantastic design!! I REALLY want to build one for this (my first) burn.

I'm reading through the forum, but there's quite a lot of detailed info to wade through. Given that time is short I thought I'd ask directly because I don't want to miss order deadlines, and all that.

I live in Pasadena CA. Home Depot, Orchard, etc., don't seem to stock foil backed RMAX. Can somebody point me in the right direction... where do I buy the 1" foil backed boards? Also, is goodbuyguys the best place to buy tape, and how many rolls should I order?

Thanks muchly
Wicky

Postby Jackass » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:26 pm

Lowes? Someone has to stock that stuff in your immediate area, it's not as though you live in the middle of nowhere. It's LA
Don't worry, it'll get weird...
Jackass

Postby Wicky » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:56 pm

Jackass wrote:Lowes? Someone has to stock that stuff in your immediate area, it's not as though you live in the middle of nowhere. It's LA

I'm not able to find anything foil backed, just the standard insulation board.
Wicky

Postby lucky420 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:17 pm

Yes on goodbuyguys for tape. You are going to need enough to tape all the exposed edges, the ones you cut (for the roof) and the wall panels.

so a sheet is 8x4 = 24 ft for one wall board x6= 144 ft just for the walls. a roll of the tape is 60 yds (180 ft)

Then you've got the roof panels 8x4=24 x6=144 ft plus taping the diagonal cuts which are 10ft and you tape both cuts so 10ft x2=20x6=120 ft

walls 144
roof 144
roof diag cuts 120
equals 408 ft this does not include taping any cut outs such as your door, windows, but that should be minimal

then you need tape for the playa when you put it together. 48 ft around the bottom and middle = 96 ft. Tape at each wall joint 4x6=24. Tape at each roof cut 12x10=120

You'll need 2 rolls on the playa (this will leave you some left over but you may need it)

so 3 rolls to construct and 2 rolls on the playa=5 rolls total. this will leave you with some extra but as it is getting close to the burn it would be better to have a little extra rather than not enough.

**Disclaimer** I suck at math, but this should be close...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby lucky420 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:17 pm

try a builders(construction) supply store
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby Wicky » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:59 pm

That's tremendous help!! Thanks for the feedback.

I've seen that people use aluminum tape for the edges. Is the necessary? I'd like to keep costs as low as possible. I'm thinking about 3" duct tape for the edges (prepared at home before leaving for the burn), and the bi-filament only to join the boards. Am I missing anything; is it essential to use alu tape for the edges?
Wicky

Postby lucky420 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:53 pm

it is essential to tape all exposed edges otherwise it will get moopy, it will. I just use the bi-fil tape for everything. I do use alum tape for patching tears and small gouges
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby jkisha » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:08 pm

JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Wicky » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:22 pm

jkisha, this doesn't say anything about being foil backed... that's what I've been searching for. Does that matter? Sorry if I'm being a dumb ass, just don't want to buy the wrong thing and cook my wife.

Thanks for the heads up on duct tape... same for gorilla tape?
Wicky

Postby lucky420 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:38 pm

no gorilla tape holds better than duct. much better. We've used gorilla tape to extra secure our anchors, along with the bi-fil tape.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby Wicky » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:31 pm

lucky420 wrote:no gorilla tape holds better than duct. much better. We've used gorilla tape to extra secure our anchors, along with the bi-fil tape.

So, you reckon it would be ok to use gorilla tape for the cut edges, and bi-fil to join the boards?
Wicky

Re: Where do I buy the materials??

Postby suicyco » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:56 pm

Wicky wrote:
I live in Pasadena CA. Home Depot, Orchard, etc., don't seem to stock foil backed RMAX. Can somebody point me in the right direction... where do I buy the 1" foil backed boards? Also, is goodbuyguys the best place to buy tape, and how many rolls should I order?

Thanks muchly

I live in Orange County and many of the home depots and lowes have the 1" RMAX panels. Just search around. The web sites for home depot and lowes will tell you if they have it in stock at whichever store. Search their site for Polyisocyanurate insulated sheathing. I did a quick search and the lowes in Burbank carries it. Home depot's are hit and miss, but lowes seems to have it at most stores. They might not understand what you are asking for when you go in. Just go find it. Make sure each panel is good and solid as many of them are all banged up.

BTW the foil tape at lowes isn't much more expensive than the gorilla duct tape. I'd suggest using the foil tape if you can. The bifil tape and the boards will cost a lot more than a few rolls of the foil tape, so its a minor expense. Better order the 6" bifil tape quick! I'm going to be building my yurt this week, the camp danger semi folding design. Hope all goes well!
suicyco

Postby lucky420 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:02 pm

So, you reckon it would be ok to use gorilla tape for the cut edges, and bi-fil to join the boards?

yes it would work. there is someone further back in this thread that used it and it seemed to be fine. I just use the bi-fil. I just went the "official" way with bi-fil. There's lots of different ways and variations now.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby Canoe » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:17 am

The ONLY yurts I've hard of blowing apart and away in the wind where held together with duct tape. Either the tape simply didn't stick enough or the stickiness gave way in the heat.
All duct tape is not equal. Some is stronger or holds better than others, or holds longer in the heat.
Gorilla is known to be a stronger duct tape, like some of the "pro" duct tapes. Holds better? If we get a really hot year? A really windy year? YVMV.

Never heard of that happening when the recommended bi-filament is used. But that may be due to those choosing to use the recommended tape also follow all of the construction recommendations.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby Wicky » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:26 am

Canoe wrote:

The ONLY yurts I've hard of blowing apart and away in the wind where held together with duct tape. Either the tape simply didn't stick enough or the stickiness gave way in the heat.
All duct tape is not equal. Some is stronger or holds better than others, or holds longer in the heat.
Gorilla is known to be a stronger duct tape, like some of the "pro" duct tapes. Holds better? If we get a really hot year? A really windy year? YVMV.

Never heard of that happening when the recommended bi-filament is used. But that may be due to those choosing to use the recommended tape also follow all of the construction recommendations.

Thanks. I wasn't thinking about building the structure with duct tape. I was just asking if it was OK to edge the boards with duct tape. I know the structure's strength comes from the bi-fil, just wanted to avoid unnecessary costs associated with using bi-fil for everything. But, as has been pointed out to me, there isn't much saving to be gained from using duct or gorilla over alu tape for edging, so I think I'll stick with the standard format and use alu tape for the edging and bi-fil for the construction.

Going to buy the boards and order the tape today :)
Wicky

Postby clocksnmirrors » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:32 pm

Wicky wrote:Going to buy the boards and order the tape today :)

I have to tell you buying the panels for my yurt was the first time i really felt absolutely committed to the event... like it was going to really happen

it's so exciting! i can't wait. good luck with your build!

please make sure you do a test set up!!!!! no but seriously, if you've never done a hexayurt before, doing a test setup is a MUST. and please please please post pics:)

hugs and dust and can't wait to see you on the playa!
clocksnmirrors

Postby lucky420 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:42 pm

please make sure you do a test set up!!!!! no but seriously, if you've never done a hexayurt before, doing a test setup is a MUST. and please please please post pics:)

ditto
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby Wicky » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:18 pm

Thanks guys, much appreciated advice all 'round. Looking forward to it.
Wicky

Postby otakup0pe » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:30 pm

We did our test build today. Can't wait to live in it for ten days. Writing up a blog post with plenty of pictures... In the mean time here a my glamour shot taken while marking the roof boards for cutting...

Photo Jul 22, 5 26 19 PM.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
otakup0pe

Postby jkisha » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:52 pm

Wicky wrote:jkisha, this doesn't say anything about being foil backed... that's what I've been searching for. Does that matter? Sorry if I'm being a dumb ass, just don't want to buy the wrong thing and cook my wife.

Thanks for the heads up on duct tape... same for gorilla tape?
That's the right stuff.

The stuff without foil doesn't have the writing on it and it looks like styrofoam.

And don't forget to wash it with mild soap to remove the milling oil before you start taping.

We get 6" bidirectional filament tape for assembly and for making the preasembly hinges for the roof sections and wall sections and for the weather stripping of the door and door hinge. We also buy 2" bidirectional filament tape for other taping-- taping on the windows, and taping the floor to the walls. We use foil tape for pre-taping the edges and for repairing any dings in the foil of the panels.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Canoe » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:02 pm

Wicky wrote:Thanks. I wasn't thinking about building the structure with duct tape. I was just asking if it was OK to edge the boards with duct tape. ... use alu tape for the edging and bi-fil for the construction

Much relieved.
Get the 3" foil tape. Much easier than trying to get the 2" to do the job.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

PreviousNext

Return to Shelter & Camping